Kodi Community Forum
The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. (/showthread.php?tid=136037)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - onewhitedog - 2012-10-06

[/quote]

What HenryFord said: you only need to install the apk after enabling "Untrusted Sources" in the device settings.
[/quote]
OK, enable untrusted sources, done.
"Only need to install the apk", to someone who has never done that before it seems easier said than done.
Is there a best method for doing this?

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - kemonine96 - 2012-10-07

(2012-10-06, 23:40)onewhitedog Wrote: OK, enable untrusted sources, done.
"Only need to install the apk", to someone who has never done that before it seems easier said than done.

The easiest way is to use a file manager app (one that came with or es file explorer) to navigate to the apk on your sd card and click on it. If you click on the apk from a file manager it should pop open the app installer.

Install, launch (be patient can take a couple minutes to launch on first run), enjoy

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - onewhitedog - 2012-10-07

[/quote]

The easiest way is to use a file manager app (one that came with or es file explorer) to navigate to the apk on your sd card and click on it. If you click on the apk from a file manager it should pop open the app installer.

Install, launch (be patient can take a couple minutes to launch on first run), enjoy
[/quote]

Thanks kem, I found the apk file and copied it to the download folder on my tablet (I don't have an sd card so hope the main tablet disk is ok).
Using ES file explorer I was able to run the install.
All I have done so far is ensure that XBMC starts up, and I tried to set up a source to my WHS2011 server via SMB but it couldn't find it.
Then my husband offered to take me out for lunch (which is an offer you don't refuse!) so that's as far as I got.
Back now (obviously) so will have another crack at it.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - migue828 - 2012-10-07

xbmc android working for the first Time on motorola xoom jelly bean stable enough. downloaded some video addons and played fine.played scene releases .mp4 on wi-fi without frame drops.
xbmc is my favorite piece of software , it enables me to access the content I love and Need.media that is unavailable here on Argentina.
i am a recording artist and xbmc is mentioned on the liner notes of my cd releases.
the excellent of xbmc inspires me. . as it's developers dedication.
long time user . running 2 heavy custom htpc and xoom now.I feel very grateful.
my English suffers at these late hours ,exited on new xbmc features and using osk (on screen keyboard)
thanks for reading,funny comments.
xbmc 4 ever!;p

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - kemonine96 - 2012-10-07

(2012-10-07, 05:34)onewhitedog Wrote: Thanks kem, I found the apk file and copied it to the download folder on my tablet (I don't have an sd card so hope the main tablet disk is ok).
Using ES file explorer I was able to run the install.
All I have done so far is ensure that XBMC starts up, and I tried to set up a source to my WHS2011 server via SMB but it couldn't find it.
Then my husband offered to take me out for lunch (which is an offer you don't refuse!) so that's as far as I got.
Back now (obviously) so will have another crack at it.

You may have to enter the full path to the smb shre. There are reports that the network browser doesn't always pickup on smb servers. I believe the common solution is to just enter smb:\\191.168.0.12\path\to\share or similar (the ip of your server is likely different) to get smb added as a source when the server isn't showing up.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - onewhitedog - 2012-10-07

I added the smb share via "add network location" and then added sources using that.
Then sat back to wait for the scraping, but was struck with awe at how fast it went, my atv2 took many many hours (and I've easily doubled my media library since then!) but the tf700 was over the whole thing in less than an hour.

Last week I replaced my WHS1 server with WHS2011 so had to change all the source paths on the atv2. I exported the video library, did a replace all on the server path with wordpad, and then imported the library back in. So was wondering if I could have imported the atv2 library into the tf700 one would that have worked as well instead of re-scraping?

Anyway, pleased to report that it all works very well. Thanks for the helping hand.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - wes paich - 2012-10-07

you can export the library to individual folders, then the scraped info, thumbs etc. are in each individual movie/tv folder. this makes it very fast on scrapes for additional installations.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - megane72 - 2012-10-08

Hi, first of all thanks to all the xbmc team for the great work they are keeping since the time of the old xbox.

Then i'm rather interestend and tripped about the xbmc on andorid in these days.

I already have or plan to buy android devices that are base on MALI-400 GPU

The HD decodification of mkv on those devices is based on the GPU and not on the CPU.

I verified that the XIOS DS is based on this GPU and the xbmc team is working especially on this device.

It is possible that the code written for the MALI-400 GPU for the XIOS DS is ported onto the generic xbmc android sources?

So anybody that have a MALI-400 GPU can compile an HD decoding working version.

Maybe I'm too simplistic, if so please explain where i'm wrong.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - HenryFord - 2012-10-08

(2012-10-06, 23:40)onewhitedog Wrote: "Only need to install the apk", to someone who has never done that before it seems easier said than done.
Well - you could have said something (i.e. that you're new to android in general) Wink

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - Martijn - 2012-10-08

(2012-10-08, 15:50)HenryFord Wrote:
(2012-10-06, 23:40)onewhitedog Wrote: "Only need to install the apk", to someone who has never done that before it seems easier said than done.
Well - you could have said something (i.e. that you're new to android in general) Wink

Like he couldn't have searched for that himself. I'm sure installing apk packages is well covered on the web

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - Ned Scott - 2012-10-08

(2012-10-08, 13:49)megane72 Wrote: Hi, first of all thanks to all the xbmc team for the great work they are keeping since the time of the old xbox.

Then i'm rather interestend and tripped about the xbmc on andorid in these days.

I already have or plan to buy android devices that are base on MALI-400 GPU

The HD decodification of mkv on those devices is based on the GPU and not on the CPU.

I verified that the XIOS DS is based on this GPU and the xbmc team is working especially on this device.

It is possible that the code written for the MALI-400 GPU for the XIOS DS is ported onto the generic xbmc android sources?

So anybody that have a MALI-400 GPU can compile an HD decoding working version.

Maybe I'm too simplistic, if so please explain where i'm wrong.

In the world of ARM the GPU doesn't handle video decoding. Instead, a separate VPU specific to AMLogic ARM chipsets is being used in the Pivos XIOS DS. So no, finding another box with a Mali GPU won't mean anything. There are some other boxes with that same AMLogic chipset that some forum users have bought and gotten to work, but it's not a guarantee that it will be the same performance as a Pivos box. Check out the Hardware fo XBMC sub-forum for some threads about those other Android AMLogic boxes.

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - megane72 - 2012-10-09

Ok, I've understood that is not the GPU but the VPU responsible for video HD decoding.

Reading form ARM website:

With support for 2D vector graphics through OpenVG 1.1 and 3D graphics through OpenGL ES 1.1 and 2.0, the Mali-400 MP provides a complete graphics acceleration platform, based on open standards. Mali is still the only GPU architecture to achieve OpenGL ES 2.0 conformance at 1080p.

I think this is referred to 3D graphics up to 1080p and not to video decoding.

So for the VPU and video HD decoding what is performance driving is the SOC (based on the VPU of the SOC).

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - Ned Scott - 2012-10-09

Yep. Though the Mali GPU is still important to XBMC in that it handles our user interface (OpenGL ES).

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - davilla - 2012-10-09

accelerated GLES graphics != hardware video decode Smile

RE: The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread. - reddragon72 - 2012-10-09

(2012-10-09, 18:39)davilla Wrote: accelerated GLES graphics != hardware video decode Smile

If that is true, and you seem to be on the up and up, aannd.. you seem to know something aaaannnd.. you aren't talking just teasing... then I doubt we cna get anything else from you like a release date or even that it is working...