Kodi Community Forum
Win XBMCLauncher / Launcher4Kodi - All in One Tool for Change Shell, Set Focus and more - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Win XBMCLauncher / Launcher4Kodi - All in One Tool for Change Shell, Set Focus and more (/showthread.php?tid=136798)

RE: XBMCLauncher - All in One Tool for Change Shell, Set Focus and more - gkryzano - 2013-08-21

I love this idea and want to get my HTPC off the ground so I can use this as a clean startup method.

Question, can I add other programs easily to the start menu with these system changes? I want to use XBMC for all my media usage but I haven't decided if I want to launch Steam through XBMC or just launch it through the start menu as per the picture below. Can I add Steam easily right next to the XBMC launcher, shutdown, sleep, etc icons?

RE: XBMCLauncher - All in One Tool for Change Shell, Set Focus and more - baijuxavior - 2013-08-21

Yes, you can add programs to the metro start screen. Actually any newly installed application will put a shortcut in the start screen and it is not dependent on the shell.

RE: XBMCLauncher - All in One Tool for Change Shell, Set Focus and more - ehrgeiz - 2013-08-24

thanks for this great piece of code!

RE: XBMCLauncher - All in One Tool for Change Shell, Set Focus and more - tf-uno - 2013-08-25

(2013-06-10, 16:27)baijuxavior Wrote: ^^ You are experiencing this problem only while using full screen window option? I will test it.

How did it go, did you find the error??

RE: XBMCLauncher - All in One Tool for Change Shell, Set Focus and more - denz13 - 2013-08-26

Hi all,

Great utility!

I am however having difficulty finding the right configuration to suit my needs, so wonder if someone could help?

My current setup:
Windows 8 Pro 64bit
XBMC Frodo 12.2

XBMCLauncher 4.0
Applied/Active Settings:
Start XBMC When Windows Starts
Start XBMC When Windows resumes from suspend
Focus Once Only
Close XBMC on System Suspend
Start Metro Start UI when XBMC is closed
External Apps - Pinnacle.exe - Start With XBMCLauncher
Shell = XBMCLauncher

What I'm trying to achieve:
Boot directly (if possible) into XBMC
Launch Windows games and retro emulators from within XBMC using Advanced Launcher - then return to XBMC once exiting the game/emulator
Use Pinnacle Game Profiler with Xbox 360 controller to play the above games/emulators

The issues I'm having:
Xbox controller button inputs do not work in launched games - on further investigation, this seems to be caused by pinnacle not loading at startup - maybe it requires Explorer.exe to run?

Any suggestions on what the best config would be for this?

RE: XBMCLauncher - All in One Tool for Change Shell, Set Focus and more - baijuxavior - 2013-08-27

Some programs need explorer for running correctly. If you added pinnacle to external apps list then it should start. Please use taskmanager to see if it is started.

RE: XBMCLauncher - All in One Tool for Change Shell, Set Focus and more - denz13 - 2013-08-27

Ah, yes Pinnacle is running, however, it uses profiles which are initiated once a particular game is started (in order to map the correct keyboard keys to the xbox controller). Maybe, because Explorer isn't running it is unable to see that the game has started, hence why the profiles are not loading.

RE: XBMCLauncher - All in One Tool for Change Shell, Set Focus and more - floepie - 2013-09-02

Thanks for putting this great tool together! However, I had difficulties getting XBMC Launcher running properly in my user account.

First, the custom reg entry did not survive a reboot after multiple reinstallation attempts. I discovered that if I removed the backup reg table, the custom reg key was able to survive a reboot. For whatever reason, while the reg import was successful each time, it kept reverting to the backup.

Secondly, the custom keyboard XML gets installed into the admin's user app data folder. So, XMBC running in the user account does not see the custom XML. I simply copied and pasted the custom XML into the user account's app data folder. Wouldn't it be better to simply overwrite the XML in the XBMC application data folder instead?

Third, the startup shortcut is installed only in the admin's startup folder, so I simply pasted a copy into the user account's startup folder. Wouldn't it be better to install as a reg entry in the startup area or as a shortcut in the default startup folder which affects all users?

Now that I'm up and running, I can imagine that this would have been much more difficult for others with less troubleshooting skills who also run XBMC in the user account.

RE: XBMCLauncher - All in One Tool for Change Shell, Set Focus and more - DanCooper - 2013-09-02

Hi baijuxavior

i have added a nice function to use DVBViewer with XBMCLauncher.

The difference between normal apps and my DVBViewer addon is that the script can also check if the window is minimized.
Most users only minimize the window and disable the tuner in DVBViewer to go back to XBMC.
I have added an option (only for DVBViewer) to give the focus back to XBMC if the DVBViewer window is minimized.

If it is possible please add the function in your code. So that you would save me a lot of work with new versions of XBMCLauncher Big Grin

Changed/added lines:
82 - 86
232 - 235
282 - 283
420 - 421
426 - 427
529 - 531
533 - 535
1467 - 1524

Pastbin

RE: XBMCLauncher - All in One Tool for Change Shell, Set Focus and more - baijuxavior - 2013-09-03

(2013-09-02, 10:09)floepie Wrote: Thanks for putting this great tool together! However, I had difficulties getting XBMC Launcher running properly in my user account.

First, the custom reg entry did not survive a reboot after multiple reinstallation attempts. I discovered that if I removed the backup reg table, the custom reg key was able to survive a reboot. For whatever reason, while the reg import was successful each time, it kept reverting to the backup.

Secondly, the custom keyboard XML gets installed into the admin's user app data folder. So, XMBC running in the user account does not see the custom XML. I simply copied and pasted the custom XML into the user account's app data folder. Wouldn't it be better to simply overwrite the XML in the XBMC application data folder instead?

Third, the startup shortcut is installed only in the admin's startup folder, so I simply pasted a copy into the user account's startup folder. Wouldn't it be better to install as a reg entry in the startup area or as a shortcut in the default startup folder which affects all users?

Now that I'm up and running, I can imagine that this would have been much more difficult for others with less troubleshooting skills who also run XBMC in the user account.

I don't know why the registry setting is not saved on reboot. XBMCLauncher writes to the registry only once during installation. May be you have some kind of system monitor software like sandboxie installed that reverts the system to last state.

May be you installed xbmclauncher in admin user account. Overwriting the xml file in xbmc installation will work, but we don't want to mess with installation files.

Startup on login can be added to registry also instead of startup folder, but this launcher was basically designed to set as shell replacing explorer. Also it is easier for a user to remove the startup folder shortcut if he does not want xbmclauncher to start automatically.

(2013-09-02, 19:22)DanCooper Wrote: Hi baijuxavior

i have added a nice function to use DVBViewer with XBMCLauncher.

The difference between normal apps and my DVBViewer addon is that the script can also check if the window is minimized.
Most users only minimize the window and disable the tuner in DVBViewer to go back to XBMC.
I have added an option (only for DVBViewer) to give the focus back to XBMC if the DVBViewer window is minimized.

If it is possible please add the function in your code. So that you would save me a lot of work with new versions of XBMCLauncher Big Grin

Changed/added lines:
82 - 86
232 - 235
282 - 283
420 - 421
426 - 427
529 - 531
533 - 535
1467 - 1524

Pastbin

I don't have DVBViewer, but it can be added to the tool in the next version. Thanks for your efforts.

RE: XBMCLauncher - All in One Tool for Change Shell, Set Focus and more - floepie - 2013-09-03

(2013-09-03, 07:13)baijuxavior Wrote: I don't know why the registry setting is not saved on reboot. XBMCLauncher writes to the registry only once during installation. May be you have some kind of system monitor software like sandboxie installed that reverts the system to last state.

May be you installed xbmclauncher in admin user account. Overwriting the xml file in xbmc installation will work, but we don't want to mess with installation files.

Startup on login can be added to registry also instead of startup folder, but this launcher was basically designed to set as shell replacing explorer. Also it is easier for a user to remove the startup folder shortcut if he does not want xbmclauncher to start automatically.

Well, I'm running pretty much a barebones W8 install and nothing else. It would always revert back to the default reg settings unless I first removed the newly created backup reg table in the MCE remote section of the registry. And yes, in order to install the XBMC Launcher you need to install using an admin account. This makes it difficult for users to troubleshoot both the XML file location and the location of the startup shortcut. Perhaps an option during install for only admin account install or all users install?

Lastly, I can't seem to get XBMC to focus from a cold boot. W8 boots to the start screen but XBMC is only visible when I hit the desktop tile on the start screen. After that, focus works just fine. Is this a limitation of your application?

RE: XBMCLauncher - All in One Tool for Change Shell, Set Focus and more - baijuxavior - 2013-09-03

My system has only one user account having administrator rights, I have not tested the launcher in multiple user system.

For xbmc to start on cold boot, you have to set the launcher as shell. Otherwise Windows 8 will boot normally and you have to click the start screen menu.

RE: XBMCLauncher - All in One Tool for Change Shell, Set Focus and more - Livin - 2013-09-04

Baijuxavior,
It would be great if you could integrate the feature of xbmccustomregis that will detect when a 2nd display gets connected - then closes and restarts XBMC. To make it more robust, you could even edit the guisettings.xml to ensure the 2nd display is correctly in it, thus it will start up properly.

This would be a nice 'workaround' for the problem XBMC has with dual monitor setups.

Please consider adding this option.

thank you

RE: XBMCLauncher - All in One Tool for Change Shell, Set Focus and more - baijuxavior - 2013-09-04

I will have to get permission from elitegamer360 for using his code. I used his focus code without taking prior permission and I regret it. Maybe I will check the autohotkey forums to see if there is any usable code for dual monitor detection.

RE: XBMCLauncher - All in One Tool for Change Shell, Set Focus and more - Livin - 2013-09-04

(2013-09-04, 11:35)baijuxavior Wrote: I will have to get permission from elitegamer360 for using his code. I used his focus code without taking prior permission and I regret it. Maybe I will check the autohotkey forums to see if there is any usable code for dual monitor detection.

Take a look at these...
http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/52750-open-program-window-on-second-monitor/
http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/59877-detect-monitor/
http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/3348-desktopcontrol-multiple-monitor-solution/
http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/17885-dual-monitor-swap/

This might help detect if XBMC is loaded but hidden (common problem with XBMC when dual monitor an focus is removed)...
http://l.autohotkey.net/docs/commands/DetectHiddenWindows.htm