Kodi Community Forum
Pivos Xios DS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Pivos Xios DS (/showthread.php?tid=136852)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Pivos Xios DS - dhead - 2012-12-25

Thanks j1nx.

It seems that some drivers for dvb chips already included in Pivos Github repository,
that's quite disappointing, where's the fun in that.

RE: Pivos Xios DS - davilla - 2012-12-25

Pivos aims to please Smile

RE: Pivos Xios DS - noggin - 2012-12-26

(2012-12-25, 15:49)dhead Wrote: Thanks j1nx.

It seems that some drivers for dvb chips already included in Pivos Github repository,

(2012-12-25, 18:45)davilla Wrote: Pivos aims to please Smile

Just had a look. Very interesting. I see there is mention of a DVB-S2 demod and tuner chipset that appears to be present in at least one AMLogic-based DVB-S2 Android set top box... TVHeadend or VDR and XBMC running together on an AMLogic-based STB would make this a very interesting device indeed.
Smile

RE: Pivos Xios DS - j1nx - 2012-12-26

(2012-12-26, 17:44)noggin Wrote:

Just had a look. Very interesting. I see there is mention of a DVB-S2 demod and tuner chipset that appears to be present in at least one AMLogic-based DVB-S2 Android set top box... TVHeadend or VDR and XBMC running together on an AMLogic-based STB would make this a very interesting device indeed.
Smile

I know of one factory creating DVB-S2 included devices;
http://szavm.com/Product.aspx?CatID=26

Sold as STV-501 and STV-502 (DVB-T and DVB-S2), the DVB-S2 included is actually the Availink chip. http://www.availink.com/article.aspx?channel=2&classid=15&parentid=46

RE: Pivos Xios DS - noggin - 2012-12-26

(2012-12-26, 18:01)j1nx Wrote:
(2012-12-26, 17:44)noggin Wrote:

Smile

I know of one factory creating DVB-S2 included devices;
http://szavm.com/Product.aspx?CatID=26

Sold as STV-501 and STV-502 (DVB-T and DVB-S2), the DVB-S2 included is actually the Availink chip. http://www.availink.com/article.aspx?channel=2&classid=15&parentid=46

Yes - and an AVL6211 driver appears to be in the Pivos DVB sources now. Along with AV2011 tuner support - though the STV502 (also seen as the S36) appears to be using the AV2012 (compatible?)

https://github.com/Pivosgroup/buildroot-linux-kernel-m3/tree/master/drivers/amlogic/dvb/avl6211

RE: Pivos Xios DS - dhead - 2012-12-27

j1nx,

If you will try hunting down this device you'll find that the same device sold by more than few manufacturer under different model name, all giving the same crappy support and service.
If I had to guess (and maybe this a wild one), there is a reference design that these all manufacturer using, aproper legitimate paid one by Amlogic or another company or a just cloned one, just run a search about Chinese clones of the dreambox or vu+, these manufacturer can and willing to clone anything.
I bet they don't have the skills to and didn't tried to design any of the devices they offering.

I would recommend to end users to stay away from these devices, currently Pivos Xios DS is the best Arm based device for running XBMC and Pivos is the only company that adding proper support for native running XBMC (on linux) and also on android.

My main interest in these devices is learning and the fun of the process to tweak and probe them.
If you an end user that want a device that is working, get Pivos or a lower cost ION/Fusion PC.

Please notice I'm not affiliated with Pivos and only pointing out the current status that will probably change in the long run future.

RE: Pivos Xios DS - j1nx - 2012-12-27

Totally agree;

If you want something working, or at least mostly or almost working. Buy a Pivos box!

I just want to screw around with kernel/buildroot/uboot whatever, so take whatever I can Big Grin The Smart TV BOx was donated to me. Secondly the f16ref platforms design which is indeed just copied by A LOT of chinese factories like dhead said is widely used, so whenever I can get buildroot and/or Linaro/Ubuntu it wil hit a good sized user base.

My wife is getting a bit irritated because I keep screweing up the boxes in the house. But when see asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I gave her the link to the German Pivos seller, Santa just decided to not stop at my house this year Sad

I just killed my f16ref - Smart TV Box this week, so will need a replacement. I rather want to buy the same one, but December is already a expensive month, January will npt be any better, so I guess I have to wait a bit / developing is at a hat for the moment.

2013, will be a fun year, where ARM will take his rightfull place I think.

Low powered, but high end small devices that can play almost everything you have stored in your house.

RE: Pivos Xios DS - okey - 2012-12-27

So, are we saying that buying the geniatech / fueteko, etc is a big mistake, as pivos firmware wont work on them M3 boxe's.

I dont think anyone else will create the firmware for the clone boxes, so they will just become obsolete.

Shame really, as i have got the geniatech 310 M1 box, and that works brill with the pivos firmware.

Oh well.

Bring the cost of the pivos down to the clone price, and they will sell a lot more, and we can then naff all the clones off.

RE: Pivos Xios DS - j1nx - 2012-12-27

(2012-12-27, 11:39)okey Wrote: So, are we saying that buying the geniatech / fueteko, etc is a big mistake, as pivos firmware wont work on them M3 boxe's.
No that's not what we said. It depens on your goal. Do you want to unpack it, hook it up to your tellie and play your videos? Then yes it is a mistake to buy them. Buy a Pivos. If you want something to play around with, look deeper into the software or even want a box to start some development for, then there is nothing wrong it.

(2012-12-27, 11:39)okey Wrote: I dont think anyone else will create the firmware for the clone boxes, so they will just become obsolete.

Shame really, as i have got the geniatech 310 M1 box, and that works brill with the pivos firmware.
I will continue development, but I am just one guy. As long no other smart guys jump in, it might take a long time.

(2012-12-27, 11:39)okey Wrote: Oh well.

Bring the cost of the pivos down to the clone price, and they will sell a lot more, and we can then naff all the clones off.

Development does not come for free. They are selling according the law, means the have to obey to all the legal mambo jumbu. Believe me, I think there is not that much of a margin on them if you take the development costs into account (if any)

Pivos Xios DS - DrowningApe - 2012-12-27

I'll second Peter here. With the Xios you are paying Pivos to employ XBMC developers to constantly improve the state of XBMC for both Android and ARM Linux. Unless these importers of generic boxes are going to put in the work on XBMC (like Peter), buying a cheap generic box seems a detriment to the long term development of XBMC. Pivos is a tiny outfit, and it's almost a miracle that they are willing to bet the bank on XBMC. Buy a XIOS.

RE: Pivos Xios DS - mprez333 - 2012-12-28

I ultimately have two goals I am looking for from a Pivos unit as I consider buying one:

1. Access and utilize my networked media content as easily as possible.

2. View ESPN-based content via WatchESPN.com (formerly ESPN3).

While I am confident it will easily meet my needs in regards to #1, regardless of whether I run a Linux distro or not, I'm not so sure as to #2.

Does anyone have any experience or know if I would be able to view content via WatchESPN's website? The WatchESPN website player is Flash-based, but I have no experience with Android-based devices. I know XBMC has a third-party application (or a couple actually) for ESPN3, however, from my experience on Windows PCs, I am unable to get it to successfully work with ESPN/ESPN2. It will only (sometimes) play ESPN3 content, which is often blacked out in my area for the desired sporting event.

I would love to support the XBMC team by going with a Pivos and it will have a great WAF, but if I can't get my sports via ESPN then I'll probably have to find a used clunky tower for the interim. Do any of you current XBMC-using Pivos owners or others have any insight?

RE: Pivos Xios DS - lazyguy - 2012-12-28

Hi,

I am thinking of getting an XIOS. Just wanted to ask your opinion on the followings,

1. Can it play vp6 coded videos (example: HGTV, FOOD Network videos)?
2. Can it play WMV, all variations?
3. How responsive is it compared to ATV2, ATV1, PC?

I have setup a raspberry pi for a freind of mine. I find it deficient in terms of the above items. Especially, lag time to run addon scripts seems horrific.

Thanks in advance.

RE: Pivos Xios DS - RedXbmc - 2013-01-01

Hello everbody

Just like lazyguy I would like an honest opinion, preferrly by a pivos xios user, I'm also thinking in buying the pivos unit but I put if off for the following reason
1. I understand from this thread that in north american you can only buy the M3 version, is this the version •AMLogic 8726-M3 : Cortex-A9 @ 1000 Mhz with 1gb of ram or this version is only available to the UK
2. Will there ever be a stable xbmc version it seems pivos has to many issues with the beta version
3. Is there a fully funtional netflix app for what I read still doesn't work

Now for the big question I do like how small the pivos unit is compared to a htpc but em I better buying a cheap motherboard with external video card or should I be patient on pivos.

I only use my current htpc to view netflix, xbmc live tv, and the odd 1080p videos. So what do you guys think

Thanks

RE: Pivos Xios DS - zebraitis - 2013-01-01

(2013-01-01, 23:25)RedXbmc Wrote: Hello everbody

Just like lazyguy I would like an honest opinion, preferrly by a pivos xios user, I'm also thinking in buying the pivos unit but I put if off for the following reason
1. I understand from this thread that in north american you can only buy the M3 version, is this the version •AMLogic 8726-M3 : Cortex-A9 @ 1000 Mhz with 1gb of ram or this version is only available to the UK
2. Will there ever be a stable xbmc version it seems pivos has to many issues with the beta version
3. Is there a fully funtional netflix app for what I read still doesn't work

Now for the big question I do like how small the pivos unit is compared to a htpc but em I better buying a cheap motherboard with external video card or should I be patient on pivos.

I only use my current htpc to view netflix, xbmc live tv, and the odd 1080p videos. So what do you guys think

Thanks

As I have one, I'll throw in my .02

1) The M3 is the current processor available. They ran out of M1 units, and no M1's are being bult for Pivos. If you order one today, unless you buy one from a reseller that has a very slow turn-over you'll get an M3.

(I had an M1, and due to failure I RMA'ed to Newegg, and received an M3. Visually, they are identical).

2) "Will there ever be a stable xbmc version ?" ... Seems like folks have been asking that since the XBOX days, right?

XBMC linux is still fairly new. Dropping that on a box like this is even newer. I've installed it on a non-primary system, and it works with my SMB NAS, and integrates with a MySQL DB. I have it hard-wired Ethernet, so I have to say that I am happy.

So far, there have been two Beta releases, and I hope that when Frodo goes final they will release another firmware. ("nightlies" are available, more or less, as well).

Personally, I feel that it works well enough that I will replace two other all-in-one windows 7 systems with this and get my hardware money back before they age any further.

However, for my main system, I will likely keep a full HTPC / Win7 system. I'm happy with the "extra" flexibility that provides me.

3) Netflix (by itself) usually needs Silverlight. I can tell you that Netflix through PlayOn works fine.

Now for your last question:

HTPC vs. Pivos Xios

It's not a size question, it's a price question:

A decent HTPC box (1080p, DTS-HD MA, etc) is $300. Maybe more, depending on your components.

I bought my Pivos for $85.00 (Black Friday) from Newegg. And it came with an HDMI cable, and an IR Remote. So it's a complete one-price purchase, with no hardware integration. (OK, I'll admit: I spent an extra $10.00 for a 16 GB mSD )

Now, add the size difference (it really is VERY small), and no-fan sounds from a PS, well... If you plan on it NOT being your primary system, it's a no-brainer.

RE: Pivos Xios DS - okey - 2013-01-02

I purchased one about a week ago, i already have an 7 month white cylone 512mb M1, running pivos firmware on that and it works superb.

Now the one i got about a week ago was the black one, brand new, i thought it was a 1gig one, as the recovery menu is different than the one i had.

Tryed the J1NX M3 firmware on it and would not work, so tryed to flash it back to original firmware from cyclone, but would not work, so tryed the J1NX M1 firmware and that worked.

Strange but its a M1 box and not m3.