Kodi Community Forum
Acer Aspire Revo RL70 Nettop Advice or Alternatives - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Acer Aspire Revo RL70 Nettop Advice or Alternatives (/showthread.php?tid=136943)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Acer Aspire Revo RL70 Nettop Advice or Alternatives - BroLo - 2012-07-26

Hi there,

New guy here so please bear with me. I have been searching for days now and I just cannot find a definitive answer for my questions regarding this system.

I am interested in buying this one Acer Revo RL70.

I have contacted the site and they said that it has integrated Radeon HD 6320 graphics. Now if I go ahead and get it I'll be installing Ubuntu on it and XBMC on top of this, mainly as an XBMC only HTPC, but I will be using the internal harddrive to host some of my movies/tv shows and the rest will be on an external HDD.

I will be playing some 1080p movies on it and I would like to know if anyone here has any experience with a similar set up? Do 1080p movies play smoothly? Does this machine do HD audio over HDMI?

I wont be streaming Netflix or anything else just purely video on the HDDs.

Is there anything else I should know about this?

EDIT: I am open to suggestions for alternatives but I am aiming below the £200 (€250) mark, as this is the most I can afford for it.

Thanks,
BroLo

RE: Acer Aspire Revo RL70 Nettop Advice or Alternatives - GortWillSaveUs - 2012-07-26

I think if you brought the Revo RL70, you'll be pretty happy.
To answer your question about 1080p and HDMI audio,..yes and yes.
Before you go ahead and install Ubuntu,....the RL70 comes pre-installed with Windows 7,...
Why not install XBMC on Windows,..give that a spin around the block a few times.
You might find yourself sticking with that setup instead.

RE: Acer Aspire Revo RL70 Nettop Advice or Alternatives - BroLo - 2012-07-26

The one I'm looking at comes with Linux pre-installed, hence it's low price. I am not sure what flavour of Linux but past Revos have come with Linpus, which seems very basic. Do you have a Revo RL70?

RE: Acer Aspire Revo RL70 Nettop Advice or Alternatives - GortWillSaveUs - 2012-07-26

(2012-07-26, 14:25)BroLo Wrote: The one I'm looking at comes with Linux pre-installed, hence it's low price. I am not sure what flavour of Linux but past Revos have come with Linpus, which seems very basic. Do you have a Revo RL70?

I have setup a few for friends/neighbors/family.
However, I've only setup with the pre-installed Windows7

If I recall correctly, I didn't hear good things about Linpus. Lot's of difficulties. You might want to research that before using it.
Of course you could always install Xbuntu or Openelec,..but I don't have experience installing on RL70.

RE: Acer Aspire Revo RL70 Nettop Advice or Alternatives - BroLo - 2012-07-26

Well I would be wiping Linpus from it and putting Ubuntu on it and then XBMC, so I can access the internal HDD to store some media.

Do you know is it possible to access the internal HDD in XBMCbuntu to store media files locally on it? 320GB is a lot of wasted space if its only the OS on it. And if I can access it I'll probably go down the XBMCbuntu route.

Have you any experience with XBMCbuntu on the RL70? Again can it handle 1080p smoothly and can HD audio be transferred through the HDMI?

EDIT: Acer Revo RL70 XBMCbuntu playback From this I think a few tweaks will have me up and running on XBMCbuntu.

BUT I still need to know if it is possible to access the internal HDD in XBMCbuntu to store media files locally on it?

Thanks,
BroLo

RE: Acer Aspire Revo RL70 Nettop Advice or Alternatives - emanon - 2012-07-26

The Revo 70 is a nice little machine. It will work good with both Xbmcbuntu and OpenElec. With the latest OpenElec iso you will be up and running in like 5 minutes (no kidding) since it will work out of the box without any need for tweaks etc. XBMCbuntu works well after upgrading to the latest video drivers. Right now i run the latest OpenElec on my Revo 70, plays everything smooth. CPU load on playing 1080p is like 10-20%. It outputs HD Audio via HDMI.

You can transfer files to your Revo 70 running any Linux build by enabling Samba on your Revo. Samba will let your Windows machines see the Linux box and you can map shares etc.This is on by default in OpenElec so you will be able to transfer data to/from your Revo at once.

The Revo 70 comes in different packages. Some with Linux, Some with Windows 7, bigger or smaller hdd's etc. Be sure to get one that has remote. If not you will need to get an extermal IR receiver for your Revo to be able to use a remote control.

RE: Acer Aspire Revo RL70 Nettop Advice or Alternatives - carbon60 - 2012-07-26

The only one I saw with a remote was the top of the range Windows 7 Blu Ray one:

http://www.ebuyer.com/344478-acer-aspire-revo-rl70-nettop-dt-sjeek-006

Currently out of stock but when it was in stock it was nearly £400.

RE: Acer Aspire Revo RL70 Nettop Advice or Alternatives - emanon - 2012-07-27

It depends where in the World you are located. There are many configs. Not all locations have the Linux version.

If you are in the US, Newegg has a Win 7 config with remote 500gb disk etc $299.99 and free-shipping. (Part # DT.SJ4AA.002)
Check acer.com and pick your location to see what Revo 70 configs that are avaliable at your location.

(2012-07-26, 22:44)carbon60 Wrote: The only one I saw with a remote was the top of the range Windows 7 Blu Ray one:

http://www.ebuyer.com/344478-acer-aspire-revo-rl70-nettop-dt-sjeek-006

Currently out of stock but when it was in stock it was nearly £400.

RE: Acer Aspire Revo RL70 Nettop Advice or Alternatives - BroLo - 2012-07-27

(2012-07-26, 21:00)emanon Wrote: The Revo 70 is a nice little machine. It will work good with both Xbmcbuntu and OpenElec. With the latest OpenElec iso you will be up and running in like 5 minutes (no kidding) since it will work out of the box without any need for tweaks etc. XBMCbuntu works well after upgrading to the latest video drivers. Right now i run the latest OpenElec on my Revo 70, plays everything smooth. CPU load on playing 1080p is like 10-20%. It outputs HD Audio via HDMI.

You can transfer files to your Revo 70 running any Linux build by enabling Samba on your Revo. Samba will let your Windows machines see the Linux box and you can map shares etc.This is on by default in OpenElec so you will be able to transfer data to/from your Revo at once.

The Revo 70 comes in different packages. Some with Linux, Some with Windows 7, bigger or smaller hdd's etc. Be sure to get one that has remote. If not you will need to get an extermal IR receiver for your Revo to be able to use a remote control.

Thanks for the help. I might go down the OpenElec route now based on this info. I take it you have the AMD E450 1.65GHz with integrated Radeon graphics?

Is Samba built in to OpenElec, and do I need to do anything to my Windows PC to make this option available?

Is there anyway to transfer the files via USB, similar to how you would on Windows/Ubuntu?

Is it easy to set up WiFi on OpenElec?

I was planning to use my android phone for the remote (hence the need to set up WiFi on the nettop)

RE: Acer Aspire Revo RL70 Nettop Advice or Alternatives - carbon60 - 2012-07-27

(2012-07-27, 00:13)emanon Wrote: It depends where in the World you are located. There are many configs. Not all locations have the Linux version.

If you are in the US, Newegg has a Win 7 config with remote 500gb disk etc $299.99 and free-shipping. (Part # DT.SJ4AA.002)
Check acer.com and pick your location to see what Revo 70 configs that are avaliable at your location.

According to UK section of acer.com we don't get the RL70 at all which obviously isn't true Smile

It's not always clear what model has what features.

RE: Acer Aspire Revo RL70 Nettop Advice or Alternatives - graham35 - 2012-07-27

Do all Acer Aspire Revo RL70 Nettops come with AMD vision E2.

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?page=1&sort=popularity&limit=10&store=5&cat=433&filtercat=433

On the Ebuyer website some of them show the AMD vision E2 Logo other don't, ebuyer have yet to come back to me on this, anyone here know?

Cheers
Graham

RE: Acer Aspire Revo RL70 Nettop Advice or Alternatives - carbon60 - 2012-07-27

They come with the AMD E-450 APU which the internet seems to imply comes under the VISION E2 banner.

RE: Acer Aspire Revo RL70 Nettop Advice or Alternatives - BroLo - 2012-08-17

Just an update.

I ordered the Revo RL70 in the end. I saw some great posts about it so I went for it, got 4GB RAM, 640GB HDD.

Got it for £171. When I get to use it I'll post about my experience.

RE: Acer Aspire Revo RL70 Nettop Advice or Alternatives - podgey3874 - 2012-08-17

(2012-07-27, 00:51)BroLo Wrote:
(2012-07-26, 21:00)emanon Wrote: The Revo 70 is a nice little machine. It will work good with both Xbmcbuntu and OpenElec. With the latest OpenElec iso you will be up and running in like 5 minutes (no kidding) since it will work out of the box without any need for tweaks etc. XBMCbuntu works well after upgrading to the latest video drivers. Right now i run the latest OpenElec on my Revo 70, plays everything smooth. CPU load on playing 1080p is like 10-20%. It outputs HD Audio via HDMI.

Thanks for the help. I might go down the OpenElec route now based on this info. I take it you have the AMD E450 1.65GHz with integrated Radeon graphics?

Is Samba built in to OpenElec, and do I need to do anything to my Windows PC to make this option available?

Is it easy to set up WiFi on OpenElec?

I was planning to use my android phone for the remote (hence the need to set up WiFi on the nettop)

hi i am in the same boat and a newbie and you have both helped me out thanks for that
i am also a newbie and bye the sounds i am also going down the OpenLec way could either off you give a newbie guide to how to install?
and does it automaticlly update itself?
also is there anything else i need to buy to get me started (i also will use phone as remote)
here is my system i got will get it tommorow
Acer Revo RL70 Nettop PC, AMD E450 1.65GHz, 4GB RAM, 640GB HDD, NOOPT, AMD HD6320, Wifi, HDMI, Linux

also with linux preinstalled on it

hi i am in the same boat and a newbie and you have both helped me out thanks for that
i am also a newbie and bye the sounds i am also going down the OpenLec way could either off you give a newbie guide to how to install?
and does it automaticlly update itself?
also is there anything else i need to buy to get me started (i also will use phone as remote)
here is my system i got will get it tommorow
Acer Revo RL70 Nettop PC, AMD E450 1.65GHz, 4GB RAM, 640GB HDD, NOOPT, AMD HD6320, Wifi, HDMI, Linux

also with linux preinstalled on it

RE: Acer Aspire Revo RL70 Nettop Advice or Alternatives - cactus99 - 2012-08-17

I upgraded my system from an ION 330-based to a Revo RL70 about one month ago. Replaced the harddrive with an SSD and installed Windows 7 Professional from scratch since I sometimes connect to the system with Remote Desktop.

The performance boost compared with the ION system was lower than expected. I am however able to play the few movies that gave me problems before.
I still experienced XBMC to be a bit laggy, especially when browsing through a movie wall. I managed to track down the problem to some large movie poster picture files.

There are however some nice new features coming in Frodo taking care of this problem (by resizing the movie posters images and using an improved image cache), so installing the nighties and enabling these features took care of most of the lag.

I am quite happy with my Revo now, although I'm always looking for my next HTPC ...