Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=140534)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - the_bluester - 2013-10-20

A new wrinkle on the bd playback issues. I reckon I was reading things wrong. It appears that with the standard install of ubuntu at leat, the XBMC is not using hardware decoding, I was looking from across the room before and mid read things. The celeron has both CPU cores near maxed on BD iso playback and the vcpu figure says it is practically idling.

The difference to the I3 is more (and presumably faster) cores so it does not run out of puff.

So. Any Linux gurus out there who might be able to help get it using HW acceleration? And yes, I have the acceleration settings switched on in xbmc.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - jammyb - 2013-10-20

Didn't think XBMC could do BD ISO with graphics accelerationHuh That was the whole point on why it couldn't and that's why i3 and above can do it. It does it in software with the processor and the Celeron hasn't the horses to do it.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - noggin - 2013-10-20

Oh - what's so different between BD ISO and BD Folder structure?

My Celeron 1007U Acer Revo is playing BD Folder structure stuff fine from my unRAID server. Definitely hardware not software decoding. This is with OpenElec not Ubuntu.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - behave49 - 2013-10-20

(2013-10-20, 11:57)the_bluester Wrote: And yes, I have the acceleration settings switched on in xbmc.

How do i switch on acceleration in xbmc?

I just got my nuc i3 (3217iye) So far so good. I was totally done with my minix neo x7. DONT BUY IT !!

i got win7 32bits, xbmc frodo and it all works great accept the Blue ray movie, but will try that with an blue ray software program.
Will keep watching this tread for good advice en tips.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - spencers - 2013-10-20

(2013-10-19, 21:28)nickr Wrote:
(2013-10-19, 18:44)spencers Wrote: This little NUC isn't liking Win8.1 very well.

edit: If you are running Win8 and update to 8.1, it looks like drivers will have to be reinstalled.
LAN defaulted to a Windows driver, as did Graphics. Intel's download page contains new drivers. However, I still cannot access the NUC from another computer via VNC, RDP, or even ping. Even with built-in firewall turned completely off. The NUC talks to the network and internet just fine.

Strongly urge against upgrading. Luckily I have an acronis image of the NUC from a week or two ago.

You broke rule 1 of htpc management: if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

That's a great rule for computers in general! I break that rule a lot. Still haven't learned my lesson.

Rule 2 always have a backup/snapshot before you tinker! I restored my backup and all is good.

Again, I do not recommend putting Windows 8.1 on this box.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - the_bluester - 2013-10-20

(2013-10-20, 14:16)jammyb Wrote: Didn't think XBMC could do BD ISO with graphics accelerationHuh That was the whole point on why it couldn't and that's why i3 and above can do it. It does it in software with the processor and the Celeron hasn't the horses to do it.

That would make sense to me if XBMC can't do it (A whole other rabbit hole to chase down to confirm that) If XBMC cant hardware decode BD video then the Celeron can and will not cut it. It just does not have the grunt for the job. I have managed to get it near working but the GPU is still practically idle with the CPU cores maxing. It sits there and drops a couple of frames every few seconds when the load gets to be too much.

I guess the celeron one can be my mothers and I will buy another I3, she only had one Bluray disc anyway, I will rip that one for her so it becomes a non issue and will replace the Celeron with something else when it becomes one. I am not prepared to mess around ripping all of hours for now if there is an option that simply plays them as is.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - fritsch - 2013-10-20

Use makemkv and just save the iso as raw bluray in mkv format and all should be fine.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - jammyb - 2013-10-20

(2013-10-20, 21:44)the_bluester Wrote:
(2013-10-20, 14:16)jammyb Wrote: Didn't think XBMC could do BD ISO with graphics accelerationHuh That was the whole point on why it couldn't and that's why i3 and above can do it. It does it in software with the processor and the Celeron hasn't the horses to do it.

That would make sense to me if XBMC can't do it (A whole other rabbit hole to chase down to confirm that) If XBMC cant hardware decode BD video then the Celeron can and will not cut it. It just does not have the grunt for the job. I have managed to get it near working but the GPU is still practically idle with the CPU cores maxing. It sits there and drops a couple of frames every few seconds when the load gets to be too much.

You make no sense. You're confusing hardware capability versus XBMC's capabilities.

XBMC can play BD ISO.

But it cannot do it with graphics acceleration.

Therefore, a Celeron WITHOUT graphics acceleration CANNOT play HD content smoothly.
But an i3 or above CAN play HD content smoothly WITHOUT graphics acceleration as it has the processing capabilities to do it in SOFTWARE. But as a rule hardware acceleration is preferred as it's less processor intensive.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - Bryman31 - 2013-10-20

(2013-10-20, 05:59)nickr Wrote:
(2013-10-19, 22:03)Bryman31 Wrote: hi guys........COMPLETELY NEW to htpc, so im here to gain as much knowledge as possible.......

im wanting to try the NUC. ive already got all my parts written down, i was just needing some advice on what you all use for storage. i have no idea how to setup a network so i was thinking just getting a few WD Red drives and getting a JBOD box and just putting the two together side by side.

what have you all seen or used comfortably for a JBOD box? im gonna need at least 3 HDD's to start, (i have about 1200 dvd's and about 30 blu-ray's) i was eying THIS for my drives but i thought id ask here before i pull the trigger......

thanks for your help and info
Why buy a small quiet box just to have a big external enclosure sitting next to it?

Inevitably you will want more HTPC's and a centralised storage/database setup. So get a NAS now for your storage. It ain't difficult to set up a network - your XBMC needs to be network connected to work properly anyway.

actually, this setup will be downstairs in the basement where our big screen is, the tv's upstairs are just for casual watching anyway. this will be for movies only on the big screen, so i have no need for other htpc's in the future. as for the htpc on a network, i already have ethernet ran to my entertainment area so ive got that covered.

(2013-10-20, 21:51)jammyb Wrote:
(2013-10-20, 21:44)the_bluester Wrote:

You make no sense. You're confusing hardware capability versus XBMC's capabilities.

XBMC can play BD ISO.

But it cannot do it with graphics acceleration.

Therefore, a Celeron WITHOUT graphics acceleration CANNOT play HD content smoothly.
But an i3 or above CAN play HD content smoothly WITHOUT graphics acceleration as it has the processing capabilities to do it in SOFTWARE. But as a rule hardware acceleration is preferred as it's less processor intensive.

In what way is that confused? if XBMC does not support hardware decoding of the format, and the Celeron NUC does not have the grunt to do it in software then it does not cut it for BD ISO playback, which was the question I had initially asked. I am not confused in the least.

To go to the long and the short of it, I have asked on various formats if the Celeron NUC is up to snuff for BD ISO playback in XBMC and have always been answered with yes, sometimes called a twit for wasting the money initially on the I3 one I bought. But it is simply not the case.

All of the above reduces the simplicity of the setup which is what I am aiming for. For wife and mother acceptance factor it needs to be simple, including getting the media on to the NAS to begin with. If MakeMKV works simply then that can be done, though I will probably have to do the rips myself.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - noggin - 2013-10-20

If there is an issue with BD ISOs, why not convert to BD Folders?

Odd that BD ISOs don't play with hardware acceleration though.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - the_bluester - 2013-10-21

I would expect that BD discs ripped to the folder structure would suffer the same issue with lack of harware decoding, in which case nothing gained.

The main reason to rip to ISO files is the wife and mum factor for simplicity, both in use and in ripping. The fact that it just works (With the exception of not having the BD menus) will be remembered long after the extra $100 or so between the Celeron and I3 has been forgotten. I am spending four times that on earplugs to use in my race car!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - noggin - 2013-10-21

(2013-10-21, 00:15)the_bluester Wrote: I would expect that BD discs ripped to the folder structure would suffer the same issue with lack of harware decoding, in which case nothing gained.

As I said earlier in the thread, BD Folders play fine with hardware acceleration on my Celeron 1007U running OpenElec. BD Folders are streaming fine over GigE from my unRAID server. (Obviously not via WiFI)

There should be no issue with the Intel HD graphics in a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge Celeron providing hardware acceleration BD profile H264 or VC-1.

What OS and what software are you using for BD ISO replay?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - the_bluester - 2013-10-21

Ubuntu 12.04 and XBMC 12.2. All served off a Qnap TS412 NAS over GigE.

Even for browsing I find WiFi so patchy at home that I don't bother with it for anything but basic connectivity for tablets and phones where Ethernet is not an option. There seems to be something in the construciton of our hose that kills WiFi signall in short order. We are out of town in a quiet environment RF wise but even with external antennas no WiFi works reliably beyond about 10 meters.

What are you using to play from BD folders? The biggest issue is that I have zero chance of getting the wife and mum to accept it unless it can be launched seamlessly from within XBMC. And my own limitation is that the boxes have to remain on a Linux OS.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - noggin - 2013-10-21

I'm using OpenElec installed to a hard drive in my Revo (2GB RAM, 500GB HD, Celeron 1007U). I have installed XBMC on Ubuntu in the past, but getting it to work just as I wanted with HD Audio and the correct 16-235 colour space was never that straightforward. OpenElec has just worked for me this time.

I have a GigE connection from my unRAID server to my Revo, and am using SMB/CIFS (aka Windows File sharing) My library on my unRAID server was initially set-up using MyMovies under Windows Media Center, rather than scraping from IMDB, and I continue to use MyMovies to create the library information rather than scraping. I even bought a cheap USB bar code reader on ebay to read the barcodes on the cases when I rip.

I added my Movie and TV shares to XBMC and it imported the MyMovies information and artwork. I can then play BDs (and DVD Folders and DVD ISOs - I have used both formats over time) from the Library view. I get HD Audio bitstreaming over HDMI, and as I watch a lot of native-interlaced content I switched to a special build of OpenElec that has improved de-interlacing by using VAAPI.