Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=140534)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - the_bluester - 2013-10-21

Just looking at specs, the 1007U has a nearly 40% higher clock speed than the 847, given that with some tweaking I got it just about working smoothly, the presumable extra processing grunt just in clock speed might be enough to tip it over the line to smoothness. Given I need a third unit I will hand this one on to my mother so I can have the I3 back and get another I3 so that we can be sure at our end of the house it will cope with anything we will ever throw at it.

I could build a box for less but the form factor of the NUC really works as a hidden HTPC. All three are going to end up mounted on the back of the respective TV they are delivering to. And I have been building my own for 20 years, it is nice to be able to buy something in a good form factor at a reasonable price (As opposed to a great price) add RAM and an SSD, install OS and XBMC and be up and running. The setup time is under two hours from first opening the box!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - noggin - 2013-10-21

Well it certainly isn't CPU processing power that's an issue. My CPU figures for both cores are very low (single figures or teens) when playing back Blu-ray stuff. Can't say how much the GPU is being taxed. However every review I saw of the 847 suggested that Blu-ray with no dropped frames was possible (though these reviews were in Windows) The large number of people happy with the various 847 solutions (NUCs, Mini-ITX boards etc.) suggest that it does work.

You are running with full GPU acceleration aren't you? Have you tried booting the Intel OpenElec build from USB (you don't have to install it - it works fine as a Live build from USB) ISTR that getting decent hardware acceleration on Intel builds under Ubuntu wasn't entirely straightforward.

cooling/ Heat setting - behave49 - 2013-10-21

Hi to you all,

what is the best settings in the bios for cooling?
Its now on automatic and the fan is quit till 78 degrees en then it will go cooling the system down, is this the correct setting?
which temp is normal for the cpu ? When i play a blue ray its getting higg very quick, up to 80 and up is that normal?

Please advice

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - arokh - 2013-10-21

(2013-10-20, 21:51)jammyb Wrote: You make no sense. You're confusing hardware capability versus XBMC's capabilities.

XBMC can play BD ISO.

But it cannot do it with graphics acceleration.

Therefore, a Celeron WITHOUT graphics acceleration CANNOT play HD content smoothly.
But an i3 or above CAN play HD content smoothly WITHOUT graphics acceleration as it has the processing capabilities to do it in SOFTWARE. But as a rule hardware acceleration is preferred as it's less processor intensive.

You're both confused.

XBMC supports hardware acceleration of H.264 content with VA-API for Intel. BD ISO = H.264. Celeron NUC should be able to GPU decode BD iso just fine, who told you otherwise?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - voip-ninja - 2013-10-21

(2013-10-21, 12:42)arokh Wrote:
(2013-10-20, 21:51)jammyb Wrote: You make no sense. You're confusing hardware capability versus XBMC's capabilities.

XBMC can play BD ISO.

But it cannot do it with graphics acceleration.

Therefore, a Celeron WITHOUT graphics acceleration CANNOT play HD content smoothly.
But an i3 or above CAN play HD content smoothly WITHOUT graphics acceleration as it has the processing capabilities to do it in SOFTWARE. But as a rule hardware acceleration is preferred as it's less processor intensive.

You're both confused.

XBMC supports hardware acceleration of H.264 content with VA-API for Intel. BD ISO = H.264. Celeron NUC should be able to GPU decode BD iso just fine, who told you otherwise?

BD ISO does not equal H.264. There are plenty of BDs with VC1 video encoding and more than a handful with MPEG-2.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - fritsch - 2013-10-21

Intel can also accelerate those.

But one kind it cannot: VC-1 interlaced

(2013-10-21, 15:11)fritsch Wrote: Intel can also accelerate those.

But one kind it cannot: VC-1 interlaced

Correct. Does an i3 have good horsepower for deinterlacing VC-1 interlaced content in XBMC?

Looks like the Haswell i3 NUC went briefly in stock with Amazon, the price went up about $10 and it's back out of stock. Looks like stock levels will start building up this week.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - smallclone - 2013-10-21

So generally, what is the ideal setting in XBMC for harwdare acceleration ? Or does it vary on what files you are trying to play?

(2013-10-21, 15:28)smallclone Wrote: So generally, what is the ideal setting in XBMC for harwdare acceleration ? Or does it vary on what files you are trying to play?

The best hardware settings in XBMC are (generally) determined by the type of GPU you have.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - smallclone - 2013-10-21

(2013-10-21, 15:38)voip-ninja Wrote:
(2013-10-21, 15:28)smallclone Wrote: So generally, what is the ideal setting in XBMC for harwdare acceleration ? Or does it vary on what files you are trying to play?

The best hardware settings in XBMC are (generally) determined by the type of GPU you have.

It's a celeron 847. So is VA-API ok?

(2013-10-21, 15:46)smallclone Wrote:
(2013-10-21, 15:38)voip-ninja Wrote:

It's a celeron 847. So is VA-API ok?

For an Intel GPU yes.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - noggin - 2013-10-21

(2013-10-21, 12:42)arokh Wrote: You're both confused.

So are you. BDs can use H264, but they can also use VC-1 and MPEG2 as well. BD ISO doesn't automatically mean H264.

However you are correct in the decoding regard, AIUI the Celeron 847 in a NUC is capable of full hardware decoding of Blu-ray bitrate and profile video in all three codecs.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - fritsch - 2013-10-21

VC-1 interlaced is not really well implemented in ffmpeg yet - and not in vaapi. We fixed that for vdpau and xvba last time ...

(2013-10-21, 21:02)fritsch Wrote: VC-1 interlaced is not really well implemented in ffmpeg yet - and not in vaapi. We fixed that for vdpau and xvba last time ...

Ah, okay, I was hoping new ffmpeg version Gotham is moving towards would address some of this.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) - the_bluester - 2013-10-21

And did some more digging, the BD that gives the Celeron the most grief (Thor) is H264.

Suffice to say that I will keep playing with the Celeron one to see if I can coax it into working properly, but having bought the third one I needed, I made it another I3 as I know it just works.

It might be overkill, I might sort out the Celeron tomorrow, but if I had to pay someone to do the digging that I have done on why it is struggling I could have bought an I3 one complete with the money. I am only still playing with the Celeron as I am bull headed and it would be nice to get it going.