Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=140534)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - nate1280 - 2013-02-03

Been doing some more testing on this unit today, got Daemon Tools installed for mounting bluray isos, and Cyberlink PowerDVD 12 Ultra for playback. I haven't configured the integration to xbmc yet, so I've just been manually mounting ISOs and testing.

As I'm typing this, I have Avatar 3D playing, full Blu-ray ISO streaming from my server and its playing flawlessly, cpu usage seems to be hovering between 14-20% usually at the lower end of that. Audio is also DTS-HD. Since I also have it plugged into a power meter, it hovers around 17W during fullscreen playback.

The TV i'm using is a Samsung UN55D8000 and an Onyko TX-NR709 receiver.

I've just become even more impressed with this little box. Big Grin

Going to be trying some more Blu-ray ISOs out, but if this one is any indication, I'll be pleasantly surprised by all of them.

If there's any specific information I can provide, please, let me know and I'll do my best.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - bluray - 2013-02-03

(2013-02-03, 22:30)nate1280 Wrote: Been doing some more testing on this unit today, got Daemon Tools installed for mounting bluray isos, and Cyberlink PowerDVD 12 Ultra for playback. I haven't configured the integration to xbmc yet, so I've just been manually mounting ISOs and testing.
You can use this thread to integrate PDVD12 with XBMC- Another External Player Code, but Very Simple to Setup

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - coffeecup - 2013-02-04

(2013-01-30, 01:23)mightydh Wrote:
(2013-01-29, 21:07)mightydh Wrote: I picked up a NUC and am waiting to escape work in order to try out Frodo. Was anyone able to confirm that the VAAPI drivers were updated with the updated version?

Both had the artifacts and no DTS-HD. Just seeing if these have been fixed before I get home today.

Update: Just installed and the VAAPI drivers are fixed

However, I cannot hear any sound when DTS-HD used.

Have you tried watching LiveTV? With VAAPI turned on its almost impossible to watch any kind of interlaced content like most SD and HD TV Stations in Germany. The picture becomes jumpy and stuttering. As for now I turned off VAAPI to have better results at least with SDTV. Watching football in HD is still no fun at all though. Stuttering once in a while and worst sometimes having artifacts (might be a heat problem, CPU is on 73 degree celsius with bob deinterlacing on 1080i). My other VDPAU system is doing much better so I'm kinda disappointed bout the Intel device. Everything else is working good though.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - twelvebore - 2013-02-09

Hmmm. I'm seeing dropped frames and stuttering when playing full blu-ray rips using software decoding (specific example is the panning shot of the mountains at the very start of LOTR Two Towers). The bit rate peaks at over 30Mbit/sec in this sequence. It's smooth as anything using DXVA2, but then I run the gauntlet of green screens and macroblocking from Intel.

Grrr.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - iHateMemphiz - 2013-02-09

looks like a bios update next week
i see some macroblocking in xbmc and freezes in mce live tv
http://communities.intel.com/thread/33219

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - jimmyjoe - 2013-02-11

I just converted from Popcorn Hour to XBMC OpenELEC and couldn't be happier. Big Grin

I am relatively new to XBMC, last time I used it was when I chipped my original xbox a LONG time ago. It only took me about a day to get everything setup and working including renaming my movie collection, re-scraping media info and setting up MySQL on my unRAID to sync my XBMC library. Based on this thread, I ordered a NUC and had everything installed and running in minutes. I was experiencing video playback problems with some odd resolutions (like 1920x802) so I downloaded the build from here and that fixed my problem:
https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/1687

I love the ease of OpenELEC. It takes me less than 5 minutes to install a new build and I don't even need to connect a keyboard to the NUC to do it, just used my remote. Create USB stick, boot and install, copy my config files, done. It couldn't be easier!

I just wanted to say thank you. If it wasn't for this thread, I was probably going to build a HTPC but with the NUC there is no need. Just tested with a few movies including the LOTR Two Towers and I am playing HD flawlessly, both lossless and compressed. I love my NUC! It's only been up and running for a couple of days but I am probably going to go ahead and order another one. Smile

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - coffeecup - 2013-02-12

@jimmyjoe

are you able to play 1080i hdtv content - specially sports - properly? I still have micro stuttering and aritifacts playing that kind of content.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - jimmyjoe - 2013-02-12

(2013-02-12, 02:46)coffeecup Wrote: @jimmyjoe

are you able to play 1080i hdtv content - specially sports - properly? I still have micro stuttering and aritifacts playing that kind of content.
I haven't tried, so I don't know. I am not using it for watching any hdtv. I am only using it to play my content which consists of my DVD and Bluray library that I backed up myself.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Bkam - 2013-02-12

Have anyone tried the Nuc with any 3D SBS 1080p Mkv files?
Thinking about buying one and run win 8 with xbmc if it will work with 3d movies to Smile

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - harvdog13 - 2013-02-12

(2013-02-12, 19:52)Bkam Wrote: Have anyone tried the Nuc with any 3D SBS 1080p Mkv files?
Thinking about buying one and run win 8 with xbmc if it will work with 3d movies to Smile

I just watched The Avengers the other night in that exact form. 3D looked great to me. Running Win 8 as well.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Bkam - 2013-02-12

harvdog13 , thx mate for the info . Sounds like the Nuc is worth its price Smile

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - nate1280 - 2013-02-12

(2013-02-12, 19:52)Bkam Wrote: Have anyone tried the Nuc with any 3D SBS 1080p Mkv files?

I've watched parts of Avatar and most of The Avengers both in 3D from bluray isos and it had no issues with those that I could see.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Geran - 2013-02-12

Looks like Intel just released their new one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102004

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - spencers - 2013-02-13

So I'm still having a little bit of trouble with mine. When "boost audio on downmix" is enabled, I get popping sounds through my television speakers.

When it's off, it's fine, but the lower audio stuff is hard to hear without jacking the volume up (in turn, the loud stuff is too loud).

I've only noticed this with movies. TV shows haven't ever done it.

Edit: forgot to mention, I have the latest version of openelec installed. (Intel64)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Ned Scott - 2013-02-13

(2013-02-12, 22:58)Geran Wrote: Looks like Intel just released their new one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102004

wow, $180. So very tempted....