Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=140534)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Sandy/Ivy Bridge 2012 edition) - jammyb - 2014-02-21

(2014-02-21, 22:34)nickr Wrote: So does modprobe e1000 work?

That sounds like a tool the mods here need to keep some of us in line! Big GrinTongueCoolRofl

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Sandy/Ivy Bridge 2012 edition) - pumkinut - 2014-02-22

I'll play around with it this weekend. It was a couple of months back that I was trying it with the minimal ISO hoping to use the XBMC minimal script. As soon as I start the minimal install I'll see the problem. I think, and I stress think, that it's an older version of the e1000 driver, or kernel module, that's included in the ISO that doesn't work with the chipset. This is what causes the problems, so modprobe e1000 won't work. As I said, I'll play with it this weekend and post back the results.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Sandy/Ivy Bridge 2012 edition) - chalo_kool - 2014-03-08

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone can tell me what is the key to get the Intel NUC to boot up directly into XBMC in just 10 seconds. If this has already been discussed elsewhere, I'd appreciate a link where I can read more about it. The reason I want to know is simply because I recently put one together using the $144.00 Celeron model from Amazon and mine takes approximately 22 seconds.
Here's what I used for the build:
Intel NUC DCCP847DYE, 8GB SanDisk Cruzer USB stick, 2GB Crucial Single DDR3 1333 memory stick and the Intel Network Centrino Wi-Fi/Bluetooth module.
I wonder if it has to do with the lack of a mSATA drive since I'm not using one. I'm booting off of the USB stick running OpenELEC directly into XBMC.
I'm very happy with the results, but I'm just curious as to how people are getting the NUC to boot into XBMC in 10 seconds.
I'm guessing it's the fact that I'm using the Wi-Fi dual band module and the lack of a mSATA, but that's just me guessing. Thanks in advance.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Sandy/Ivy Bridge 2012 edition) - noggin - 2014-03-09

chalo_kool yes I'd expect booting from a USB 2 stick will be slower than from an mSATA drive.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Sandy/Ivy Bridge 2012 edition) - g4ptek - 2014-03-09

(2014-03-08, 21:13)chalo_kool Wrote: Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone can tell me what is the key to get the Intel NUC to boot up directly into XBMC in just 10 seconds. If this has already been discussed elsewhere, I'd appreciate a link where I can read more about it. The reason I want to know is simply because I recently put one together using the $144.00 Celeron model from Amazon and mine takes approximately 22 seconds.
Here's what I used for the build:
Intel NUC DCCP847DYE, 8GB SanDisk Cruzer USB stick, 2GB Crucial Single DDR3 1333 memory stick and the Intel Network Centrino Wi-Fi/Bluetooth module.
I wonder if it has to do with the lack of a mSATA drive since I'm not using one. I'm booting off of the USB stick running OpenELEC directly into XBMC.
I'm very happy with the results, but I'm just curious as to how people are getting the NUC to boot into XBMC in 10 seconds.
I'm guessing it's the fact that I'm using the Wi-Fi dual band module and the lack of a mSATA, but that's just me guessing. Thanks in advance.

maybe u can use a MSATA SSD to boot up just on 10seconds

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Sandy/Ivy Bridge 2012 edition) - chalo_kool - 2014-03-09

Thanks guys. Maybe I'll consider using a mSATA if I decide to build another one in the future.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Sandy/Ivy Bridge 2012 edition) - jammyb - 2014-03-09

(2014-03-09, 19:24)chalo_kool Wrote: Thanks guys. Maybe I'll consider using a mSATA if I decide to build another one in the future.

But just think how many batches of 11 seconds you'll save if you do it now!?

Would it make a difference during streaming had I chosen to use a mSATA drive instead of booting off of a USB flash drive? For example I was watching a full 1080p movie with DD 5.1 audio earlier and it had a bit of a hard time keeping up with the stream at times with 20mbps internet speed.
Overall I'm very satisfied with it's performance, but if there's anything else I can do to make it much better and/or faster, I truly believe this NUC and OpenELEC is almost perfect combination.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Sandy/Ivy Bridge 2012 edition) - noggin - 2014-03-09

(2014-03-09, 22:45)chalo_kool Wrote: Would it make a difference during streaming had I chosen to use a mSATA drive instead of booting off of a USB flash drive?
I don't think so - I don't think OpenElec needs to access the system disk when in normal playback operation (unless you are navigating your library)

If you replace your USB 2 drive with a USB 3 drive (which are often faster performers even over USB 2 interfaces) you may find boot up is faster, and library navigation may speed up a bit, but core playback shouldn't change AFAIK.
Quote:For example I was watching a full 1080p movie with DD 5.1 audio earlier and it had a bit of a hard time keeping up with the stream at times with 20mbps internet speed.
Are you using WiFi or cabled ethernet?

You talk about your Internet speed - but are you streaming your 1080p DD 5.1 movie over the internet or from local storage?

WiFi for 1080p 5.1 stuff may be a bit optimistic (particularly if you have 2.4GHz WiFi in a city centre location)

Quote:Overall I'm very satisfied with it's performance, but if there's anything else I can do to make it much better and/or faster, I truly believe this NUC and OpenELEC is almost perfect combination.

I have zero stuttering issues playing full bitrate Blu-ray folders (not recompressed) over GigE on my Celeron 1007U (2GB RAM, 500GB HD) Just also tried booting OpenElec on an i5-3570K on GigE from a USB3 Lexar flash drive and it played 34Mbs stuff flawlessly from a local USB hard drive.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Sandy/Ivy Bridge 2012 edition) - jammyb - 2014-03-09

You're WiFi-ing 1080p streams at 20mbpsHuh You should try it wired bud. Zero buffering.

[Just eaten a load of chocolate which is why you're not getting abuse for trying to stupidly stream 1080p content over WiFi!]

That movie I was talking about was being streamed over the internet wirelessly using Mashup. I do have a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth module installed and I've been testing the little box both ways. More than halfway into the movie I decided to plug in the ethernet cord to see if it'd make a difference, but honestly I didn't see much improvement.
I don't have anything stored locally since I don't download anything, I just stream stuff.
Maybe I can do some improvements by going into my router settings. I'm currently using the Linksys EA6500 which is a dual band router.
I have to mention I did have an issue with my router a few days ago and I ended up doing a factory reset to it. I haven't given it the highest priority to the NUC as of yet, so maybe if I can do that could make a difference. I believe I should be able to have the NUC running on the 5Ghz band so it'll be less congested.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Sandy/Ivy Bridge 2012 edition) - pumkinut - 2014-03-09

(2014-02-22, 02:53)pumkinut Wrote:
I'll play around with it this weekend. It was a couple of months back that I was trying it with the minimal ISO hoping to use the XBMC minimal script. As soon as I start the minimal install I'll see the problem. I think, and I stress think, that it's an older version of the e1000 driver, or kernel module, that's included in the ISO that doesn't work with the chipset. This is what causes the problems, so modprobe e1000 won't work. As I said, I'll play with it this weekend and post back the results.

Finally got around to working on the NUC again. Got the same problem with both the 12.04 and 13.04 mini.iso. Keyboard and hardware detection seem to go through fine, but DHCP fails. When trying to manually configure the network interface it fails as well. Looking at dmesg the following repeats over and over:

e1000e 0000:00:19.0: eth0: Detected Hardware Unit Hang

I can't modprobe anything because if I go to a shell on another console, I get dropped to a busybox/ash shell with very limited command support. If someone could point me to where I could get some help messing around with the drivers loaded, I'd really appreciate it. I'd love to have a stripped down XBMC + minimal window manager install, but for now that doesn't seem to be an option as I can't even get Ubuntu installed.

That said, XBMCbuntu does work, mostly, and a full-blown install of Ubuntu or Mint works as well. I can then add XBMC and set it up to autostart, but I'd rather avoid that and install everything how I want it.

Edit:
So, after looking at things again, e1000e is loaded, but is not working correctly. I do have access to modprobe, but it doesn't look like I have any other NIC drivers to really use. I was reading that others were having similar issues and were able to kind of work with them by hard coding the interface speed using ethtool. That's great but ethtool isn't available on the mini iso, so I'm not sure how/if I can set the interface speed manually.

I must mention that I'm streaming yet another 1080p movie with 5.1 DD as we speak and this movie hasn't had any issues. So maybe it's just the way certain movies are encoded? Online traffic perhaps? Heck, I'm just a bus mechanic, ha! Smile

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Sandy/Ivy Bridge 2012 edition) - scarecrow420 - 2014-03-10

Also you have to think about the fact that just because your internet connection is 20mbps this would be to your service provider, not guaranteed to any/every possible place anywhere on the internet that happens to be the streaming source of the video file you picked. So it could very well be the other end of your streaming connection

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Sandy/Ivy Bridge 2012 edition) - chalo_kool - 2014-03-10

I completely agree with you scarecrow420. Again, I've been very very satisfied with the NUC's performance that there's not much room to complain about. As far as HD movies go, the NUC works flawlessly with 720p and there's plenty of that content available online. Thanks to all of you guys for the responses wherever you are..!