Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=140534)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Dougie Fresh - 2013-04-18

The thing with 3D is there are various formats. My takeaway is the Celeron will support some of the basic 3D formats (SBS?) which the i3 will support Frame Packed 3D. So, a lot depends on your AV equipment and source material what will work for you. Most people interested in 3D will just go for the i3 since it leaves no doubts.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - lukasnmd - 2013-04-18

Thx Stridis, any reason to you switch back to pins 2 & 3?

Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Stridis - 2013-04-18

(2013-04-18, 19:47)lukasnmd Wrote: Thx Stridis, any reason to you switch back to pins 2 & 3?

No special reason ;-)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Roby77 - 2013-04-18

Could someone make a guide with photo to get on/off ir function ? Maybe better in wiki section

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Stridis - 2013-04-19

(2013-04-18, 21:56)Roby77 Wrote: Could someone make a guide with photo to get on/off ir function ? Maybe better in wiki section

You need a guide to connect two cables to two pins ?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - jammyb - 2013-04-19

(2013-04-19, 08:30)Stridis Wrote:
(2013-04-18, 21:56)Roby77 Wrote: Could someone make a guide with photo to get on/off ir function ? Maybe better in wiki section

You need a guide to connect two cables to two pins ?

Was just gonna say this! Been explained enough over the last 2 pages lol!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - h.p.j. - 2013-04-19

(2013-04-18, 17:58)Dougie Fresh Wrote: The thing with 3D is there are various formats. My takeaway is the Celeron will support some of the basic 3D formats (SBS?) which the i3 will support Frame Packed 3D. So, a lot depends on your AV equipment and source material what will work for you. Most people interested in 3D will just go for the i3 since it leaves no doubts.

Maybe I should have elaborated more. Smile I can see that the Celeron won't have any trouble with half SBS or half OU (both formats crammed into a standard 1080p file). That's good since my LG TV has passive 3D (half the lines for each eye) and half OU would be totally sufficient. However I might possibly buy a FullHD 3D projector in the coming months and real (as in 1080p for both eyes) frame packed 3D might therefore be an interesting addition. I hope someone can give a definite answer to these questions:

1) The Celeron-based NUC doesn't allow frame packed 3D?
2) The i3-based NUC can do frame packed 3D?
3) The Celeron-based NUC is too slow to SW-decode 1080p Hi10p?
4) The i3-based NUC is powerful enough to SW-decode 1080p Hi10p?

(I don't think I'll need Hi10p, but you'll never know Wink )

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - Crssi - 2013-04-19

Hi guys, you are great... I have got a lot of info here in this thread.

I would like just to some other questions in addition to previous post.

1. Can i3 NUC play 1080p 48fps (like Hobbit)? If not, would be i5 NUC (not yet available at this time) enough to play this?
2. Are there any unresolved problems left with i3 NUC (audio/video, all variety of DTS, etc..)? I would like to put xbmc over openElec to avoid additional costs with Win license.

I would like to get something which will play also new formats (1080p 48fps)... I believe that in the near future there will be more movies in 48fps and would like to buy something that will last for like 5 years (fingers crossed Smile).

Regards
Bert

Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - DrowningApe - 2013-04-19

(2013-04-19, 19:59)Crssi Wrote: Hi guys, you are great... I have got a lot of info here in this thread.

1. Can i3 NUC play 1080p 48fps (like Hobbit)? If not, would be i5 NUC (not yet available at this time) enough to play this?
2. Are there any unresolved problems left with i3 NUC (audio/video, all variety of DTS, etc..)? I would like to put xbmc over openElec to avoid additional costs with Win license.

I would like to get something which will play also new formats (1080p 48fps)... I believe that in the near future there will be more movies in 48fps and would like to buy something that will last for like 5 years (fingers crossed Smile).

Regards
Bert

There is no 48fps standard or available content. The Hobbit was released in some theaters at 48 fps, but the blu-ray is 24p.

The i3 NUC can play any available content.

(2013-04-19, 15:12)h.p.j. Wrote:
(2013-04-18, 17:58)Dougie Fresh Wrote: The thing with 3D is there are various formats. My takeaway is the Celeron will support some of the basic 3D formats (SBS?) which the i3 will support Frame Packed 3D. So, a lot depends on your AV equipment and source material what will work for you. Most people interested in 3D will just go for the i3 since it leaves no doubts.

Maybe I should have elaborated more. Smile I can see that the Celeron won't have any trouble with half SBS or half OU (both formats crammed into a standard 1080p file). That's good since my LG TV has passive 3D (half the lines for each eye) and half OU would be totally sufficient. However I might possibly buy a FullHD 3D projector in the coming months and real (as in 1080p for both eyes) frame packed 3D might therefore be an interesting addition. I hope someone can give a definite answer to these questions:

Get the i3 NUC. It'll play frame packed 3d in windows, and will play 1080p hi10 content.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - MrBogus - 2013-04-19

(2013-04-19, 21:20)DrowningApe Wrote:
(2013-04-19, 19:59)Crssi Wrote: Hi guys, you are great... I have got a lot of info here in this thread.

Regards
Bert

There is no 48fps standard or available content. The Hobbit was released in some theaters at 48 fps, but the blu-ray is 24p.

The i3 NUC can play any available content.

(2013-04-19, 15:12)h.p.j. Wrote:

Get the i3 NUC. It'll play frame packed 3d in windows, and will play 1080p hi10 content.

I am getting posterization when playing HD content and if I disable DXVA the video stutters and starts dropping frames (with a bluray ISO, at least), which is more annoying than the posterization. I think that is an unresolved issue with intel-based htpc's but I don't see anyone complaining about it in this thread (and I have read it all)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - barto28 - 2013-04-19

Hi guys,

I've read at least half of this entire topic and I'm seriously thinking about getting the Celeron's version of the NUC.
Few questions before hitting the "add to cart" button :

-I'll use openelec on it, with SQLDatabase and movies stored on a Nas with gigabit connection and NFS share. No issues with this so far ?
-My TV doesnt decode DTS-HD and DTS-MA. Will the NUC Celeron will be fast enough to decode this while playing 20gb Mkv ?
-I actually own the magical Pulse Eight CEC usb module. Is somebody tested it on the NUC ?
-Is the Passive enclosure D1NU5 from impactics is compatible with the Celeron version ? (I guess it is according to impactics website)

Thanks guys.

Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - DrowningApe - 2013-04-20

Yes to all of your questions. I have the Celeron NUC with 4GB ram running openELEC off a flash drive. The only caveat is that it's not capable of running 1080p hi10 anime without dropping frames.
The Celeron NUC is great so far. I've used a full tower PC running windows 7, a Boxee, a Roku with Plex, an ATV 2, a Foxconn E350, and a Raspberry Pi. The NUC is the only device besides the PC that I've not had to constantly fuck with.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - tezz99 - 2013-04-20

I own an intel dc3217iye

Now i am experiences stuttering/tearing issues with 1080p videos. What should my settings be in xbmc? I dont have a dedicated avr, i am using both hdmi outputs, one to a sony bluray player (5.1) and the other to a tv (720p).

My home theatre system is a Sony BDV-E280 which outputs to a 1080p projector.

Is it possible for me to bitstream to this bluray player? I believe it might help the stuttering/tearing.

When i click properties in sound > sony it detects it as a 2 channel.

What should i do please help?

Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - DrowningApe - 2013-04-20

In settings/system/video output, do you have "vertical blank sync" set to "always enabled". And have you set audio output to HDMI and 5.1? I assume you're using windows, so you may need to go to the windows audio properties and select the appropriate audio output setup.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC possibilities - tezz99 - 2013-04-20

(2013-04-20, 10:08)DrowningApe Wrote: In settings/system/video output, do you have "vertical blank sync" set to "always enabled". And have you set audio output to HDMI and 5.1? I assume you're using windows, so you may need to go to the windows audio properties and select the appropriate audio output setup.

Yes i have enabled this, and it seems this has helped but i have it set to analog 7.1 at the moment. Will changing to hdmi help?

When I go into audio setup in windows, it shows the connected sony bluray player has 2 speakers. But it actually has 5.1

I was wondering, is xbmc able to work with dual displays cloning? I have a 1 hdmi going to the sony blu ray player and the other to a tv. The problem is the tv is 1080i while projector is 1080p. When i video calibrate for the tv, i lose screen size on the projector. if that makes sense Tongue