Kodi Community Forum
Frodo release date and where to follow progress? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Frodo release date and where to follow progress? (/showthread.php?tid=140892)

Pages: 1 2 3

Frodo release date and where to follow progress? - crimsonfury - 2012-09-19

I would love to know where to look at the progress of Frodo so far and is there an estimated finish date?

Also will Frodo have PVR (Live TV) standard?

Re: RE: Frodo release date and where to follow progress? - Martijn - 2012-09-19

(2012-09-19, 22:18)crimsonfury Wrote: I would love to know where to look at the progress of Frodo so far and is there an estimated finish date?

Like every time: when it's ready.
None will give you an exact or estimated date

RE: Frodo release date and where to follow progress? - crimsonfury - 2012-09-19

(2012-09-19, 22:25)Martijn Wrote:
(2012-09-19, 22:18)crimsonfury Wrote: I would love to know where to look at the progress of Frodo so far and is there an estimated finish date?

I asked 3 questions...

Is PVR going to be installed in the final release of Frodo?

RE: Frodo release date and where to follow progress? - thrak76 - 2012-09-19

The blog here at xbmc.org does a nice recap of the month's progress when the snapshots are put up for download. If you can decipher github, you can look at the commits and see "real-time" progress. Also, keep following along in the forum and you can read discussions about new features (mostly by the bugs that are introduced). Other than that, i'm not sure of an "official" report card.

And yes, PVR has been merged into the main branch - AKA standard feature going forward.

RE: Frodo release date and where to follow progress? - crimsonfury - 2012-09-19

(2012-09-19, 22:30)thrak76 Wrote:

The blog here at xbmc.org does a nice recap of the month's progress when the snapshots are put up for download. If you can decipher github, you can look at the commits and see "real-time" progress. Also, keep following along in the forum and you can read discussions about new features (mostly by the bugs that are introduced). Other than that, i'm not sure of an "official" report card.

And yes, PVR has been merged into the main branch - AKA standard feature going forward.

Awesome no more need for WMC LIveTV launched from Advanced Launcher anymore!
Now all we need is native Netflix addon! We should Tweet bomb and call and whatever other means of contact to Netflix and get their blessing and support for an Official Netflix addon for the Most Widely Used Media Center (XBMC)!!!!

RE: Frodo release date and where to follow progress? - thrak76 - 2012-09-19

(2012-09-19, 22:36)crimsonfury Wrote:
(2012-09-19, 22:30)thrak76 Wrote:

Now all we need is native Netflix addon! We should Tweet bomb and call and whatever other means of contact to Netflix and get their blessing and support for an Official Netflix addon for the Most Widely Used Media Center (XBMC)!!!!

Yeah, that's true, but i still use WMC for LiveTV. In a lot of ways (for now) it is just easier to use. There is quite a bit of setup involved to get PVR working as smoothly as WMC does. However, tweaking is what attracts a lot of people to XBMC in the first place, me included. As far as Netflix, if you're already using WMC through advanced launcher, why not do the same thing for Netflix? Actually, there's a member here who wrote a small .exe that really makes the launch into WMC Netflix very seamless (search for "netflix seemless (sic)", in the title). I use it a lot now AE has relinquished its "stranglehold" on WASAPI audio devices.

RE: Frodo release date and where to follow progress? - crimsonfury - 2012-09-20

(2012-09-19, 23:53)thrak76 Wrote:
(2012-09-19, 22:36)crimsonfury Wrote:
(2012-09-19, 22:30)thrak76 Wrote: The blog here at xbmc.org does a nice recap of the month's progress when the snapshots are put up for download. If you can decipher github, you can look at the commits and see "real-time" progress. Also, keep following along in the forum and you can read discussions about new features (mostly by the bugs that are introduced). Other than that, i'm not sure of an "official" report card.

Yeah, that's true, but i still use WMC for LiveTV. In a lot of ways (for now) it is just easier to use. There is quite a bit of setup involved to get PVR working as smoothly as WMC does. However, tweaking is what attracts a lot of people to XBMC in the first place, me included. As far as Netflix, if you're already using WMC through advanced launcher, why not do the same thing for Netflix? Actually, there's a member here who wrote a small .exe that really makes the launch into WMC Netflix very seamless (search for "netflix seemless (sic)", in the title). I use it a lot now AE has relinquished its "stranglehold" on WASAPI audio devices.

I actually do use the Advanced Launcher for the Netflix plugin in WMC... But like I said I would love to totally leave WMC in the dirt where it belongs! Having to launch another program defeats the purpose of using a Media CENTER. But for now it works fine.

RE: Frodo release date and where to follow progress? - Memes11 - 2012-10-11

Not only Netflix should be integrated natively, but as many services as possible, all with a unified library (I know that is a huge huge job), but in my mind, that is the ultimate target.

I am thinking here about the services like Netflix, but also the music ones (Spotify, Deezer, Rdio, Mog, Pandora,...) and why not as well the TV replay ones (though those ones will be more tricky to integrate with unified library)

RE: Frodo release date and where to follow progress? - Martijn - 2012-10-11

(2012-10-11, 07:55)Memes11 Wrote: Not only Netflix should be integrated natively, but as many services as possible, all with a unified library (I know that is a huge huge job), but in my mind, that is the ultimate target.

I am thinking here about the services like Netflix, but also the music ones (Spotify, Deezer, Rdio, Mog, Pandora,...) and why not as well the TV replay ones (though those ones will be more tricky to integrate with unified library)

We don't want anything native. It should all be just plugins

RE: Frodo release date and where to follow progress? - sialivi - 2012-10-11

Doesn't most (or all?) of the current backends lack support for CableCard? That would be one reason to keep using WMC for TV.

RE: Frodo release date and where to follow progress? - xbs08 - 2012-10-11

RE: Frodo release date and where to follow progress? - Vaikin - 2012-10-11

As I never have any intention of ever using Netflix, spotify, deezer, Rdio, Mog or Pandora...why would I want them built into a media centre? The fewer things integrated, the faster and smaller the software. Plugins and addons are your friends!
(2012-10-11, 07:55)Memes11 Wrote: Not only Netflix should be integrated natively, but as many services as possible, all with a unified library (I know that is a huge huge job), but in my mind, that is the ultimate target.

RE: Frodo release date and where to follow progress? - crimsonfury - 2012-10-12

The problem is a few of the Big ones like Netflix don't have an official XBMC plugin yet and need some type of work around. So hopefully Frodo will incorporate more official plugins.

Also having it built in shouldn't matter, just turn off whatever service you don't want and don't sign into it...

RE: Frodo release date and where to follow progress? - aptalca - 2012-10-12

(2012-09-19, 22:25)Martijn Wrote:

None will give you an exact or estimated date

I know that is the standard answer for most software, however since the switch to the monthly cycle for unstable releases with structured coding and debugging, we are all wondering if there is a larger cycle for the stable builds.

For instance, 12 month-long cycles + betas + rc's = stable

I also read on another thread about how the new upnp code did not make it into the frodo release cycle in time. Is it true that no new code will be incorporated into the frodo branch except for bug fixes?

Thanks

RE: Frodo release date and where to follow progress? - jmarshall - 2012-10-12

No, there's no larger cycle. Basically we have an idea of when we think we should push out a new stable (based on features + time), and then we do it.

And yes, as has been suggested in other threads, we are entering the point of the final push for Frodo, so there will be no new features from here on in Frodo - bug fixes and polish only.

I'm sure there'll be some info on the home page about the timeline etc. as things go along.

Cheers,
Jonathan