Kodi Community Forum
Local rating system / ranking system (manual ratings of songs, albums, movies, etc.) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Local rating system / ranking system (manual ratings of songs, albums, movies, etc.) (/showthread.php?tid=14104)

Pages: 1 2 3

Local rating system / ranking system (manual ratings of songs, albums, movies, etc.) - ryan_the_leach - 2005-08-08

a good feature would to be able to give a song a rating or ranking compared to wheter you like it or not but also to have it self modify itself.

e.g. if you have a song playing and you listen to all of it gives the song say 1 point but if you skip the song at the start it takes away 2 points and if you skip it after lets say the first 20 seconds it only takes 1 point away. this would be done on a large scale say out of 100 and ranking artists could be done by comparing the ranking of songs with the same artist. this would work incredibly well if you had it on shuffle.
it would also be nice if the rating/ranking could have a slight effect in the bias of shuffle or another shuffle called biased shuffle or something.

this is just my 2 cents on what would make xbmc kick ass!

by the way i did search the forums for "ranking" but since then have discovered i should of proberble searched for rating as well sorry, but as far as i can see this has not been hard coded and it would only be a script as of yet.

- jhoffa - 2006-02-22

first of all i have to say what an amazing piece of softw. xbmc is! i work as a software engineer and i'm not often impressed by software.

what i really miss and what i think should have a high prio is to be able to rate songs, albums and videos. it's not necessary to be able to rate in xbmc but to sort by ranking.. oh my god, that would be nice! rating for each item could be fetched from the id3-tag.

i would implement this myself if i had the time but i don't right now. maybe someone could tell me if this is function is in design or specific details on how to implement this myself. cheers!

- jhoffa - 2006-02-25

nothing like this planned?

- Loto_Bak - 2006-02-25

id3v1 or 2 dont have fields for rank afaik
makes it difficult to sort by a field that doesnt exist

- jmarshall - 2006-02-25

i suggest the best way to implement this is to:

1. add a field to the song table in the database for the ranking.

2. add a field to musicinfotag for the ranking.

3. add a sort function to sortfileitems for sort by rank.

4. add the user interface to enter the ranking.

good luck.

- jhoffa - 2006-02-26

loto_bak:
v2 has a field called "rating"

jmarshall:
thanks man! i think i will give it a shot. don't you think that this is missing? but i understand that the dvd-player takes al your time

- incognegro - 2006-02-28

this would be even better if xbmc had "smart playlists" similar to itunes. playlists that build themselves based on certain criteria. there can be a "top rated" playlist!

- kraqh3d - 2006-02-28

xbmc already has this. the "top 100" and "recent" items are smart playlists. they get songs based out of the database baesd on criteria. if ratings are added, it would be trivial to add a "top rated" item to the library.

- jhoffa - 2006-02-28

under my music->left menu->sort by. is it easy to implement "sort by: rating" when rating is fetch from id3-field "my rating"? i really would like that feature!

- jmarshall - 2006-02-28

see my post above.

it's a 4 step process. have fun implementing it, and give us a shout if you get stuck on anything.

- jhoffa - 2006-02-28

im just trying to make someone else doing the job for me :d

- mistafro - 2006-06-19

hi, i would love to see a way to have a ratings system in place. basically i want to be able to add a movie to my nas and assign it a rating (could even be via a file like the thumbnail file .tbn, .rtn?), then on the xbmc side, have a master lock setting for the machine setting a threshold as to what ratings the xbmc client is able to watch.

i have 3 xboxes in my house, one is for my daughter and i want to be able to have a quick way of enforcing what she can and can't watch instead of having to always put what she can in a special folder, why not a global ratings system.

the best would be to have it as a contextual menu option, highlight the movie file, select it's rating, or better yet, automatically use the rating from imdb.com's info?

what do you think?

- HarshReality - 2006-06-19

what i suggest is multiple bookmarks to nas locations... for example: adult (passworded)
general (open access)

in your case, i'd like to asume you know what your films are rated before getting them g, pg, r (each going to a different folder on your nas).

currently the imdb rating system is using viewer votes and not the mpaa rating so you'll have to do your own sorting i'm afraid.

- jgawera - 2006-06-20

is there any technical reason why the mpaa rating is not displayed in the movie infor page? i think i remember reading that the imdb scraper gets this info, just nothing displays it.

i think it would be very useful to have this. i often find that when choosing a film that's suitable to watch with the kids that i have to go run up to the pc and do an imdb(or other) search to find out what rating it is.

the imdb string seems ideal, eg for "bad santa" it has " rated r for pervasive language, strong sexual content and some violence. " so straight away, i can see that's a no no.
maybe a post 2.0 thing, maybe a skin thing, either way, gets my vote.

- HarshReality - 2006-06-20

i dont think so, i think once jm mentioned that the workings were there it just wasnt incorporated into the skin but that was some time ago...

if your feeling daring there is a patch on sf but it was last updated oct of last year so who knows what kind of alterations have been done since then.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker....=581840

tell you what, i work tonight but then have my 4 days off... i'll see if i can update this or work it into current cvs and see what happens with it.

** second thought i'll just leave it be and see what happens:
revision 1.71 tue jun 20 09:40:14 2006 utc (4 hours, 39 minutes ago) added: mppa rating to video information dialog.