Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based (/showthread.php?tid=141369)

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Cbrsharky - 2013-02-08

No dont think it will,
When apt-get avahi-deamon, i'll get this: E: unable to locate package avahi-deamon.... I overlooked it before, sorry

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Bram77 - 2013-02-08

You've made a small error in the the application name: 'avahi-deamon' should be 'avahi-daemon'

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Cbrsharky - 2013-02-08

Ah see it now boarderline dislectic.......

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2013-02-08

You mean dyslexic, that was not borderline that was full on boobs in face!

uNi

Great! Airplay working now, wifi remote still down, but maybe i do a fresh install, incase i did something else wrong...

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Bram77 - 2013-02-08

I don't see how avahi-daemon can make the remote stop working. Maybe you can disable/enable access from within XBMC and create a new connection from Android XBMC remote before reinstalling? Just to see if that solves it?

@ uNi yes i know, my two greatest flaws, spelling and all other language then dutch.....
No i did'nt mean it was avahi, i think it stopt after my boob in face typo,
I'll try to make a new conection and reset my network, see if that helps

Re-installed the remote app. Now it working again.
Thanks for all the help guys! Realy appreciate it!!

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - illiac4 - 2013-02-09

Maybe just a note for airplay users:
avahi, zeroconf, airplay is working only in the same subnet. so if you are having vlans it will not work right out of the box.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - sideways86 - 2013-02-11

is there any reason i shouldn't or wouldn't want to be able to just modify the script to replace the wsnipex ppa with the regular team-xbmc one now that frodo final is out?

I'm trying to get all the installations in my house to sync to a mysql database and as i understand it this requires all the client versions to be the same version. I figure keeping them on the same PPA is a good place to start.

for what it's worth, i tried it, and had some strange issues where the nvidia drivers seemed to fail to install and even after manually installing them I'd get the system hanging at 'checking battery state.

I'm not expecting you to support your script with modifications - or at all for that matter - just asking.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - CHBMB - 2013-02-11

(2013-02-04, 14:42)MaxFrank Wrote: For users with ATI cards from the HD2000, HD3000 and HD4000 series this doesn't work because the the installed FGLRX driver doesn't work with these cards anymore.
Installing the fglrx-legacy package doesn't work because it doesn't support Xserver 1.13 which is what 12.10 uses.
This is taken from https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fglrx-installer/+bug/1058040. There is a workaround which worked for me.
Before executing the script this should be done. So after the first boot SSH into the machine and do
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:makson96/fglrx && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade && sudo apt-get -y install fglrx-legacy
If you execute the script now the script will detect the installed driver and will skip driver installation and you should have a working minimal installation of XBMC.

Trying this just gives me a error:

Code:
sudo: add-apt-repository: command not found

Tried the fix here Ubuntu Forum

Still the same error.

Green Button MCE Remote - emagin - 2013-02-11

Hi, was wondering if remote enhancements were possible with this minimized version?
I read about LIRC installation and have got MCE Remote working on PeppermintOS 3 install of XBMC.
Two things I really miss are Remote to wake up / resume machine as well as Green Button launch bring to front XBMC no matter what's going on.

I currently use XBMC MCE Remote on Win7 and found the Green Button solution here incredibly useful:
http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/features.html
The AutoHotkey script looks like this: http://pastebin.com/tbNe5awa

Can anyone comment of whether getting this on Ubuntu Mini is possible?
If this is incorrect thread apologies, please move and I'll keep working there.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - millercentral - 2013-02-12

Most of that solution on Windows is to get around the driver biasing towards MCE over XBMC. On this installation the green button works just like any other button on the remote (sends an Home command). All buttons can be reconfigured either with LIRC config files, or XBMC keymap files. Testing is easy with the irw command line tool. Overall I found configuring my MCE remote exactly how I wanted it to be easier with this Ubuntu Mini install than it had been on Win7 before.

And as an added bonus, last night I noticed my XBMC uptime was reported as 12 days, or basically since it lasted updated Frodo to final. That level of stability was never true on my windows-based xbmc setup.

However, if command line interfaces, and console-based text editors intimidate you, then this may not be the most approachable way to go.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - sfinxx1 - 2013-02-12

(2013-02-08, 18:29)Bram77 Wrote: Since we're closing in on the Ubuntu 13.04 release date my plan is to create a new version of the script for that. I have been using 13.04 for months and it's very stable. I'll incorporate all of the stuff emntioned in this thread in the new version and apply the changes to the 12.10 script afterwards.
Code:
sudo apt-get install avahi-daemon

Hi, when do you make it please ? because i have problem with shutdown (if i press power buton -> system hang on shutdown) on ubuntu 12.04.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - francovilar - 2013-02-12

Sometimes waking from sleep I get only a black screen and have to reboot. I can't find a script that works with this installation to restart x and xbmc, can somebody help me? Most of the scripts I found ask for a lightdm restart and it doens't work. Thank you