Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based (/showthread.php?tid=141369)

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Bram77 - 2013-03-04

Your problem is hardware related. It's not related to the installation in any way.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - flashpunk - 2013-03-04

(2013-03-04, 20:09)Bram77 Wrote: Your problem is hardware related. It's not related to the installation in any way.

Thanks @Bram77, have you seen this before? Any suggestions on where I can start looking for a solution?

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - rcaj - 2013-03-05

Awesome script. Easy to install and does everything I want.

I was looking for an alternative to my previous Win 7 XBMC build that was ok but didn't have that true HTPC feel. Started looking at alternatives and XBMCbuntu sounded good, but I found many people preferring OpenElec. Tried Openelec and ran into performance issues with my ubuntu mediaserver - choppy vids, connections being cut out and then just decided to drop it after a few installs with both the beta and stable builds. Found this thread, installed it np, connected to my ubuntu mediaserver with no issue, vids now play great, no cut outs or dropped connections. All is good, first time out.
Nice job.

Rob

Re: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Bram77 - 2013-03-05

(2013-03-04, 20:11)flashpunk Wrote:
(2013-03-04, 20:09)Bram77 Wrote: Your problem is hardware related. It's not related to the installation in any way.

Thanks @Bram77, have you seen this before? Any suggestions on where I can start looking for a solution?

No, I've never encountered this before and I don't know how to fix it except by a different videocard.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - wsnipex - 2013-03-06

(2013-03-04, 20:11)flashpunk Wrote:

look in you bios. make sure the correct GFX is initialised first(if you have e.g. onboard + extra GFX), try to set "halt on errors" to none, try a bios upgrade

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Sevennl - 2013-03-07

Anyone tested 2.6.1 yet ?

Used the prepare_install_2_6_1.sh script, it launches me into the login prompt.
Starting XBMC ( login as xbmc passwd: xbmc exec:xbmc ) gets me into a broken graphics server telling me the settings are not correct.

It uses the Nvidia settings and used the 1920x1080 boot setting.

I don't have it installed anymore as i re-installing 2.6 right now ( else i can't watch TV Smile )

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Bram77 - 2013-03-08

Version 2.6.1 is untested. I haven't found the time to test some changes I've made supplied by uNiversal. Thanks for reporting.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2013-03-08

(2013-03-07, 07:48)Sevennl Wrote: Anyone tested 2.6.1 yet ?

Used the prepare_install_2_6_1.sh script, it launches me into the login prompt.
Starting XBMC ( login as xbmc passwd: xbmc exec:xbmc ) gets me into a broken graphics server telling me the settings are not correct.

It uses the Nvidia settings and used the 1920x1080 boot setting.

I don't have it installed anymore as i re-installing 2.6 right now ( else i can't watch TV Smile )

What are the errors and what is your hardware and where are the logs like xbmc logs or xorg.0 logs or install logs, anything that could point to what is causing this. Without these pieces of info your report too vague.

uNi

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - zaktek13 - 2013-03-11

Hey guys, thanks for all the work on this. I started installing this when I noticed that the drivers are specifically Nvidia 5XXXX series. Will this work for my Zotac box that has a Nvidia GT640 card in it with a celeron?

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2013-03-11

Just add the xswat ppa before running script.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - zaktek13 - 2013-03-11

Added and installing. We'll see how this goes. Thanks.

For some reason I can't get the HDMI to work at all, only the DVI out will work as I set it up via my monitor. However this will not work on any of my TV sets.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - un1versal - 2013-03-12

Yu need to have the device connected which is going to be your final screen while installing it.

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Sevennl - 2013-03-12

Again a new Installation started, trying the 2.6.1 script again and keep you posted if something fails.

1. i added sudo apt-get install software-properties-common or the next command fails.
2. adding the Nvidia repos Confusedudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
3. running the update : sudo apt-get update
To be complete, i also installed MC, i love that tool.
Running the 2.6.1 script
using: init.d to start things.
bootscreen :1920x1080
optional XBMC tweaks and addons :options 2 and 3
other optional packages and featues : 1 2 3

at this point in time all looks well, will keep you updated if things change.\

added sudo add-apt-repository ppa:adamsutton/tvheadend
and updated tvheadend

RE: HOW-TO: Automated efficient (dedicated) XBMC installation on Ubuntu minimal 12.10 - Bram77 - 2013-03-12

Something is obviously wrong in version 2.6.1. Please use 2.6.0 . I'm working on a much more advanced way of managing and installing the system so I won't be putting more time in this script.