Kodi Community Forum
Budget HTPC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Budget HTPC (/showthread.php?tid=141896)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Budget HTPC - Dougie Fresh - 2012-10-03

The B75 motherboard has the 3rd gen chipset. The H61 is the 2nd gen chipset. It might work -- you just need to be sure the BIOS of the H61 supports the Ivy Bridge CPU and that if you need to update the BIOS you can POST with the G2120 in there to flash the BIOS.

RE: Budget HTPC - cerchiarax - 2012-10-03

(2012-10-03, 21:22)Dougie Fresh Wrote: The B75 motherboard has the 3rd gen chipset. The H61 is the 2nd gen chipset. It might work -- you just need to be sure the BIOS of the H61 supports the Ivy Bridge CPU and that if you need to update the BIOS you can POST with the G2120 in there to flash the BIOS.

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-asrocks-h61-motherboards-support-ivy-bridge-cpus-after-bios-update. Its looking good. Big Grin

RE: Budget HTPC - Dougie Fresh - 2012-10-03

For $20, I prefer the Gigabyte B75 board. It's more up-to-date and if it's like other Gigabyte boards it doesn't blink the LED in S3 sleep Smile. If you're going to get an H61 board you might as well get the G630 since you're not going to derive any real benefit over the G2120 and save the $30.

RE: Budget HTPC - cerchiarax - 2012-10-03

(2012-10-03, 21:48)Dougie Fresh Wrote: For $20, I prefer the Gigabyte B75 board. It's more up-to-date and if it's like other Gigabyte boards it doesn't blink the LED in S3 sleep Smile. If you're going to get an H61 board you might as well get the G630 since you're not going to derive any real benefit over the G2120 and save the $30.

Good to know. I was really debating on which CPU to get. Makes sense to get the G630 and it will make my budget way less then I expected. Thanks!!!

RE: Budget HTPC - cerchiarax - 2012-10-04

Hi Doug,

I was able to get the machine built and well somewhat running. Stuck at expanding windows at 93%. But I'm sure it's probably something I need to change in the bios to fix the issue. So power supply worked but a little small for the case. I may attach a picture so you can see how funny it is. I'll probably change the case in the future. For right now as long as it's running and I don't see it I'm ok with it Smile Thanks again for your help!

RE: Budget HTPC - bluray - 2012-10-04

(2012-10-04, 16:11)cerchiarax Wrote: I was able to get the machine built and well somewhat running. Stuck at expanding windows at 93%. But I'm sure it's probably something I need to change in the bios to fix the issue.
For Intel iGPU, you can do as below to insure smooth playback on XBMC....

-To fill in the screen- you can get into Intel Graphic Properties/Display/Custom Resolution, then try to change the Over/Underscan option to fill in the screen
-Update Intel latest driver from here- Automatically identify and find drivers
-Disable DXVA2 and select Software as Render method and disable everything else in XBMC system/video/playback
-Disable "Use fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" in XBMC system/system/vdeo output
-Select Intel HDMI audio output in control panel sound/playback
-Select HDMI audio output in XBMC settings/audio output, and then selects all the capable receiver options and WASAPI: Intel HDMI output (Intel high definition....) {if you don't have AVR, you can un-check all the capable receiver options, and select DirectSound instead)

(2012-10-04, 16:39)bluray Wrote:
(2012-10-04, 16:11)cerchiarax Wrote: I was able to get the machine built and well somewhat running. Stuck at expanding windows at 93%. But I'm sure it's probably something I need to change in the bios to fix the issue.
For Intel iGPU, you can do as below to insure smooth playback....

-To fill in the screen- you can get into Intel Graphic Properties/Display/Custom Resolution, then try to change the Over/Underscan option to fill in the screen
-Update Intel latest driver from here- Automatically identify and find drivers
-Disable DXVA2 and select Software as Render method and disable everything else in XBMC system/video/playback
-Disable "Use fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" in XBMC system/system/vdeo output
-Select Intel HDMI audio output in control panel sound/playback
-Select HDMI audio output in XBMC settings/audio output, and then selects all the capable receiver options and WASAPI: Intel HDMI output (Intel high definition....) {if you don't have AVR, you can un-check all the capable receiver options, and select DirectSound instead)

Thanks for this. Looking forward to get to that point once I can get windows to boot up Smile

Hey do you guys have any idea how much power this new system I built uses? A rough estimate is ok. I'm trying to figure out if I can use it as a subsonic music box as well and leave on 24/7. I'm currently using a old 1.4ghz(pentium M) centrino laptop as my 24/7 subsonic music box. I'm assuming the laptop draws less power then the intel 630 2.7ghz, 380 watt power supply and 2 hardrives.

RE: Budget HTPC - Dougie Fresh - 2012-10-04

My G620 idles around 20W, video around 30W, max around 60W. With the 380W PSU and a couple of HDDs, it'll run a few watts higher due to efficiency loss with the 380W PSU.

RE: Budget HTPC - cerchiarax - 2012-10-05

(2012-10-04, 21:38)Dougie Fresh Wrote: My G620 idles around 20W, video around 30W, max around 60W. With the 380W PSU and a couple of HDDs, it'll run a few watts higher due to efficiency loss with the 380W PSU.

Cool really good to know. I got lucky and found a better case that I had laying around. And it has a better power supply Antec True 550W. Only issue it comes with 20 pin instead of 24. The diablotech 380 watt I had has the proper 24 pin but is small and doesn't fit nicely in the case. Am I safe just using 20 pin or should I buy an adapter to 24 pin? From what I read the extra 4 pins are only required if you have a PCI express video card or something else power hungry.

Note: I'm talking about the main 24 pin connector on the motherboard and not the secondary connector that has 4 pins by itself. The Antec and diablotech have the secondary 4 pin plug.

Also how do I give you reputation points. You have been very helpful. And I'm having so much fun building a computer again. I may even take some time to build a really nice system in the future and pace my self this time :-)

RE: Budget HTPC - Dougie Fresh - 2012-10-08

(2012-10-05, 21:44)cerchiarax Wrote: Cool really good to know. I got lucky and found a better case that I had laying around. And it has a better power supply Antec True 550W. Only issue it comes with 20 pin instead of 24. The diablotech 380 watt I had has the proper 24 pin but is small and doesn't fit nicely in the case. Am I safe just using 20 pin or should I buy an adapter to 24 pin? From what I read the extra 4 pins are only required if you have a PCI express video card or something else power hungry.

20pin power in a 24pin socket is no issue but I am surprised that a full ATX power supply would have a 20pin main power cable. Is the the older version with the ATX12V connector (20pin)?

[/quote]

(2012-10-05, 21:44)cerchiarax Wrote: Also how do I give you reputation points. You have been very helpful. And I'm having so much fun building a computer again. I may even take some time to build a really nice system in the future and pace my self this time :-)

Each post has a little +/- button you can give points with. You're welcome with the help. It is fun isn't it? Smile. I don't know what's more fun -- the building or the watching movies Smile.

RE: Budget HTPC - cerchiarax - 2012-10-10

(2012-10-08, 03:34)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2012-10-05, 21:44)cerchiarax Wrote: Cool really good to know. I got lucky and found a better case that I had laying around. And it has a better power supply Antec True 550W. Only issue it comes with 20 pin instead of 24. The diablotech 380 watt I had has the proper 24 pin but is small and doesn't fit nicely in the case. Am I safe just using 20 pin or should I buy an adapter to 24 pin? From what I read the extra 4 pins are only required if you have a PCI express video card or something else power hungry.

20pin power in a 24pin socket is no issue but I am surprised that a full ATX power supply would have a 20pin main power cable. Is the the older version with the ATX12V connector (20pin)?

(2012-10-05, 21:44)cerchiarax Wrote: Also how do I give you reputation points. You have been very helpful. And I'm having so much fun building a computer again. I may even take some time to build a really nice system in the future and pace my self this time :-)

Each post has a little +/- button you can give points with. You're welcome with the help. It is fun isn't it? Smile. I don't know what's more fun -- the building or the watching movies Smile.

[/quote]

Lol I can't find the plus and minus to give you the rep. I must be blind or something. Next project will be gaming machine :-) . Most likely old PSU. I bought it back in 03 I believe.

RE: Budget HTPC - Dougie Fresh - 2012-10-10

Under each post there should be three buttons to the left:

[ PM ] [ FIND ] [ +/- ]

On whichever posts you find helpful, just click that button and the author of the post will be given a point.

RE: Budget HTPC - bluray - 2012-10-10

(2012-10-10, 16:25)cerchiarax Wrote: Lol I can't find the plus and minus to give you the rep. I must be blind or something.
You're not blind. For you to see (+/-) reputation sign, you have to register long enough and have enough posts for it to show up......

RE: Budget HTPC - cerchiarax - 2012-10-12

(2012-10-10, 18:07)bluray Wrote:
(2012-10-10, 16:25)cerchiarax Wrote: Lol I can't find the plus and minus to give you the rep. I must be blind or something.
You're not blind. For you to see (+/-) reputation sign, you have to register long enough and have enough posts for it to show up......

Thanks!