Kodi Community Forum
Req Share (in context menu) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Req Share (in context menu) (/showthread.php?tid=141982)

Pages: 1 2

Share (in context menu) - Robotica - 2012-10-04

This feature is available in the context menu on individual files and gives the user the possiblity to send files to registered services. Addon can hook up the this functionality and register themselves so their service is available in the share context submenu.

This feature makes integrating services from within your library a lot easier. The addons themselves still handle all logic (login, upload, etc)

RE: Share (in context menu) - Memphiz - 2012-10-04

Filesharing?

RE: Share (in context menu) - Robotica - 2012-10-04

Yes, Sharing/uploading/sending.
The feature is comparable to the send-to feature in Windows Explorer (don't know if this still exists) where it was/is possible to easily send files from within the explore to i.e. Notepad.

Lots of Addons are suitable to do this by themselves. What I miss is an integrated way of doing this from within my library views.

Flickr, picasso, facebook, youtube (upload), dropbox, megaupload, pastebin are services/addons which would benefit.

Nothing illegal if you mean that; at least less illegal than an email client being able to send .mp3's (since Addon are doing the actual sharing).

RE: Share (in context menu) - Memphiz - 2012-10-04

K - just wanted to get that description out of you for others to understand the intention Smile

and do you like the concept of giving a better user experience, sharing/publish from library? I think this is a minor effort to benefit a lot of users...

RE: Share (in context menu) - Martijn - 2012-10-04

(2012-10-04, 22:27)Robotica Wrote: and do you like the concept of giving a better user experience, sharing/publish from library? I think this is a minor effort to benefit a lot of users...

MINOR?

RE: Share (in context menu) - thrak76 - 2012-10-04

(2012-10-04, 22:28)Martijn Wrote:
(2012-10-04, 22:27)Robotica Wrote: and do you like the concept of giving a better user experience, sharing/publish from library? I think this is a minor effort to benefit a lot of users...

MINOR?

Yeah, Martijn... no problem! I'm sure you could code it out in a few minutes, right?

Seriously though, this would be cool as XBMC goes even more mobile on Android.

addons do all the work.. They just need to have an option to to integrate with "share". Xbmc needs an option and a bit logic to pass the source file location back to the addon.
thinking of it... you even can register upnp devices there so you can start a playlist on your receiver or other hardware.

RE: Share (in context menu) - Ned Scott - 2012-10-05

XBMC doesn't really seem to be the place where someone would want to upload files to places. File management in general is better handled by various OSes and file transfer apps. XBMC is more of an end destination, rather than a sorting point.

RE: Share (in context menu) - Robotica - 2012-10-05

being an endpoint or a sortingpoint, many users consider xbmc as a central media hub to enjoy, control and view, their media. And many addons integrate with online services. Many of them can even download. I think it makes sense to facilitate publishing with this simple solution to enhanche the online experience. Not so socially focussed as boxee but a little to make the xbmc experience inline with the users workflow. But it seems you guys are doubtfull against uploading while this feature is ment to ease the user experience.. Too bad for me. Thanks for the reactions!

RE: Share (in context menu) - Ned Scott - 2012-10-05

Well, so far I'm the only one who's actually said if they liked the idea or not, and I'm not a developer.

RE: Share (in context menu) - topfs2 - 2012-10-05

Patches welcome...

RE: Share (in context menu) - Robotica - 2012-10-06

thnx.. I just share my toughts.. This discussion is similar to the player selection discussion. Publishing to a player, software or hardware, or an online sources should always be overruled by user (setting) and xbmc should facilitate addon's and users with selection logic.
and also share to playlist, be it audio, video and/or picture. If users and addons can decide on file-based level which player to use, the logic can do the rest.

RE: Share (in context menu) - Robotica - 2012-10-06

see also ticket 5442

RE: Share (in context menu) - Robotica - 2012-10-12

(2012-10-05, 21:59)topfs2 Wrote:

Patches welcome...

Maybe it's better to link back in the pr to this topic which is discussing the feature request.