Kodi Community Forum
Netflix plugin to XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: Netflix plugin to XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=143019)

Pages: 1 2

Netflix plugin to XBMC - tonkanw - 2012-10-18

Hi there folks,

I recently started using Netflix and installed the Netflix plugin to my XBMC (on a Macbook Pro from like 2010).
When I try to run Netflix however, it only opens up a Firefox window in the background to run the film.

Is it some way to get Netflix to play inside the XBMC so I don't have to get up and tab out every time?

Thanks a bunch.

RE: Netflix plugin to XBMC - artrafael - 2012-10-18

Welcome to the XBMC forums.

(2012-10-18, 11:26)tonkanw Wrote: Is it some way to get Netflix to play inside the XBMC so I don't have to get up and tab out every time?

No.

RE: Netflix plugin to XBMC - tonkanw - 2012-10-18

Thanks for the swift answer.

Well, that sucks. ;-)

RE: Netflix plugin to XBMC - dkplayaclub - 2012-10-19

It should be mentioned that with ALA, you can open netflix from XBMC fairly seamlessly. It will not run IN XBMC, but it will work pretty well. I do this with Skype and it works great.

RE: Netflix plugin to XBMC - thrak76 - 2012-10-19

(2012-10-19, 04:07)dkplayaclub Wrote: It should be mentioned that with ALA, you can open netflix from XBMC fairly seamlessly. It will not run IN XBMC, but it will work pretty well. I do this with Skype and it works great.

Are you meaning Advanced Launcher?

If so, it should also be noted that Advanced Launcher is Eden only (for now).

RE: Netflix plugin to XBMC - dkplayaclub - 2012-10-19

Yes. Advanced Launcher. It really is an amazing add-on.
Was unaware it was only Eden, but really, it's the best way I know to use something like Netflix. It's not seamless, but it works well enough.
Honestly, I feel there is enough content out there via all the great add-ons available that Netflix is really unnecessary.

RE: Netflix plugin to XBMC - thrak76 - 2012-10-19

(2012-10-19, 05:15)dkplayaclub Wrote: Yes. Advanced Launcher. It really is an amazing add-on.
Was unaware it was only Eden, but really, it's the best way I know to use something like Netflix. It's not seamless, but it works well enough.
Honestly, I feel there is enough content out there via all the great add-ons available that Netflix is really unnecessary.

It was working in Frodo until the beginning of October. Something changed then, and it stopped working. No worries though. When a Frodo RC comes around, it will be brought up to date - according to the dev.

I miss it! I guess that's a trade-off for nightlies....

RE: Netflix plugin to XBMC - thrak76 - 2012-10-23

(2012-10-19, 06:16)thrak76 Wrote:
(2012-10-19, 05:15)dkplayaclub Wrote: Yes. Advanced Launcher. It really is an amazing add-on.

It was working in Frodo until the beginning of October. Something changed then, and it stopped working. No worries though. When a Frodo RC comes around, it will be brought up to date - according to the dev.

I miss it! I guess that's a trade-off for nightlies....

Adv. Launcher works again in Frodo. Smile

RE: Netflix plugin to XBMC - pasqualz - 2012-11-24

Hi,
I just saw this thread and was curious if I can use Advanced Launcher in Openelec 2.0 (xbmc 11.0) to create a seamless Netflix experience. If this can be done, does anyone have some instructions for how to do it?

RE: Netflix plugin to XBMC - ozkhan1 - 2012-12-05

Advanced Launcher is not working for me in Frodo. I get a addon.py error. Any suggestions?

RE: Netflix plugin to XBMC - artrafael - 2012-12-05

(2012-12-05, 00:55)ozkhan1 Wrote: Advanced Launcher is not working for me in Frodo. I get a addon.py error. Any suggestions?

Sure, check/ask over on the Advanced Launcher - Applications Launcher Addon for XBMC thread in the Program Add-ons subforum.

RE: Netflix plugin to XBMC - Angelscry - 2012-12-05

(2012-11-24, 03:34)pasqualz Wrote: I just saw this thread and was curious if I can use Advanced Launcher in Openelec 2.0 (xbmc 11.0) to create a seamless Netflix experience. If this can be done, does anyone have some instructions for how to do it?
Advanced Launcher can be used in Openelec.

(2012-12-05, 01:18)artrafael Wrote:
(2012-12-05, 00:55)ozkhan1 Wrote: Advanced Launcher is not working for me in Frodo. I get a addon.py error. Any suggestions?

Sure, check/ask over on the Advanced Launcher - Applications Launcher Addon for XBMC thread in the Program Add-ons subforum.
Only versions of Advanced Launcher up to 1.10.0 are compatible with Frodo.

RE: Netflix plugin to XBMC - SmittyBoy - 2013-01-31

What is needed is a way to automate (like a short-cut or favorite) the use of a supported browser like Chrome with netflix/loveflim/whatever, so that one could create an Icon (shortcut, favorite, whatever) which brought one to the service website in high-def (1080 p) mode, ready to rent a movie.

I don't understand why it is so difficult. All this crap is web based. You webby geeks ought to be able to figure this stuff out.

OK, so it's not real programming, but you guys insist upon calling yourselves programmers, so get 'er done, will you !
In case you didn't realise, the previous post was supposed to be a bit sarcastic, tongue in cheek, ribbing, in order to spur you on.

RE: Netflix plugin to XBMC - locoguano - 2013-01-31

Advanced Launcher works with Frodo, but you have to get the newest version from the developers repo. I don't have it at work, but you can find it on the AL thread.

RE: Netflix plugin to XBMC - artrafael - 2013-01-31

(2013-01-31, 20:23)SmittyBoy Wrote: What is needed is a way to automate (like a short-cut or favorite) the use of a supported browser like Chrome with netflix/loveflim/whatever, so that one could create an Icon (shortcut, favorite, whatever) which brought one to the service website in high-def (1080 p) mode, ready to rent a movie.

I don't understand why it is so difficult. All this crap is web based. You webby geeks ought to be able to figure this stuff out.

OK, so it's not real programming, but you guys insist upon calling yourselves programmers, so get 'er done, will you !
In case you didn't realise, the previous post was supposed to be a bit sarcastic, tongue in cheek, ribbing, in order to spur you on.

And that's precisely what Advanced Launcher allows you to do: Create a "launcher" that will allow you to launch a web browser session from within XBMC that opens directly to the Netflix website, where you can do whatever you normally do on Netflix via a web browser. When you close your Netflix browser window, you are returned to XBMC. You can even assign your launcher to a favourite or keyboard/remote key (normal XBMC function). With some skins, you can even assign a main menu option to this launcher.

Easy enough even for a non-programmer and non-webby geek to setup by him/herself. Angelscry did all the hard work by creating and sharing his Advanced Launcher add-on (which, BTW, can be used to launch any number of apps/scripts, not just a web browser).