Kodi Community Forum
Help, my A6-Pack has a busted heatsink bracket! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Help, my A6-Pack has a busted heatsink bracket! (/showthread.php?tid=143212)

Pages: 1 2

Help, my A6-Pack has a busted heatsink bracket! - Riskey - 2012-10-20

Hey Guys,

So I built an A6-Pack about 6 months ago when it was all the rage and it's been working pretty much flawlessly (with OpenElec I might add!), but just the other day it started overheating and shutting down.

I pop her open and find that both of the little tabs on the cpu heatsink retention bracket busted. (see attached image) This of course caused my Scythe Shruiken rev. B to lose contact with the cpu.

So.... I have a few questions:

1.) Why the heck did this happen?
2.) Where do I find the correct replacement for this (This is the closest I could find - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W446B4/ref=wl_fv?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1X1P00TPTSH07&coliid=I2N63RJHZQ073S
3.) I'm worried about the above replacement hitting the areas highlited in green.
4.)Do I need to wipe clean and re-apply thermal pasted to the heatsink and cpu?
5.) How do I prevent this from happening again?

Thanks,
Chris

RE: Help, my A6-Pack has a busted heatsink bracket! - thrak76 - 2012-10-20

Yikes! I've never heard of this happening.

Did the Shuriken come with it's own mounting bracket, to use instead of the plastic retention pieces? In 2 out of three PCs I have running right now, the coolers all had their own mounting brackets.

RE: Help, my A6-Pack has a busted heatsink bracket! - Beer40oz - 2012-10-20

Scythe Shruiken rev. B ? please post a link of what exact cooler you have. My big shuriken Rev. B comes with its own mounting bracket that goes on the bottom of the mobo. My 100mm shuriken now that one comes with its own hardware too but with clips that get attached to the oem tabs like on your pic.

Strange why that happened to you... I have never heard of that either...

You are going to need to re-apply new paste... I recommend this paste... Arctic Cooling MX-4 I use it on all my builds...

Yup you need to find the right retention brackets.... you need the same exact ones that are separated. They come off easy from behind the mobo. Maybe e-mail asrock and show them the pic.... maybe they will send you some for free....

RE: Help, my A6-Pack has a busted heatsink bracket! - Riskey - 2012-10-21

Yes, I have the 100mm shuriken that has clips that hook on to the oem bracket. So it sounds like a call to Asrock is my next step. Problem is, I don't trust the oem bracket anymore.

RE: Help, my A6-Pack has a busted heatsink bracket! - Dougie Fresh - 2012-10-21

If you'd be willing to pay shipping (about $2 max) I can send you some new brackets. I have a pile of them.

RE: Help, my A6-Pack has a busted heatsink bracket! - Beer40oz - 2012-10-21

(2012-10-21, 06:23)Dougie Fresh Wrote: If you'd be willing to pay shipping (about $2 max) I can send you some new brackets. I have a pile of them.

That is nice of you... Wink I was thinking you did.... Big Grin

RE: Help, my A6-Pack has a busted heatsink bracket! - Dougie Fresh - 2012-10-21

Yeah, it'd be easy to put them in an envelope and send them.

RE: Help, my A6-Pack has a busted heatsink bracket! - Riskey - 2012-10-22

(2012-10-21, 06:23)Dougie Fresh Wrote: If you'd be willing to pay shipping (about $2 max) I can send you some new brackets. I have a pile of them.

Thanks Dougie Fresh. That's very kind of you. Assuming you have identical brackets to the ones in my picture (AMD FM1 socket), then I'd be happy to send you $8 bucks or so to cover shipping and your trouble. Just private message me your paypal address (assuming you have one.)

RE: Help, my A6-Pack has a busted heatsink bracket! - GortWillSaveUs - 2012-10-22

(2012-10-21, 07:34)Beer40oz Wrote:

That is nice of you... Wink I was thinking you did.... Big Grin

Agreed!
This is one of the many reasons I love this forum.

RE: Help, my A6-Pack has a busted heatsink bracket! - Beer40oz - 2012-10-22

(2012-10-22, 18:13)Riskey Wrote:

Thanks Dougie Fresh. That's very kind of you. Assuming you have identical brackets to the ones in my picture (AMD FM1 socket), then I'd be happy to send you $8 bucks or so to cover shipping and your trouble. Just private message me your paypal address (assuming you have one.)

Yes he has the identical ones... Wink

RE: Help, my A6-Pack has a busted heatsink bracket! - Dougie Fresh - 2012-10-23

(2012-10-22, 18:13)Riskey Wrote:

PM sent. I have a pile of them from the ASRock A75M-ITX motherboards from making these: E-i5 "A6-PACK" barebones.

RE: Help, my A6-Pack has a busted heatsink bracket! - lrusak - 2012-10-23

As for the thermal paste, Always use new stuff (or try to)

Wipe off the old stuff with isopropyl alcohol, clean both the cpu and heat sink, then apply new stuff as you would normally.

RE: Help, my A6-Pack has a busted heatsink bracket! - Riskey - 2012-10-23

(2012-10-23, 00:29)lrusak Wrote: As for the thermal paste, Always use new stuff (or try to)

Wipe off the old stuff with isopropyl alcohol, clean both the cpu and heat sink, then apply new stuff as you would normally.

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering what to clean the old stuff off with. Now if there was just a way I could reinforce the replacement brackets.

RE: Help, my A6-Pack has a busted heatsink bracket! - Beer40oz - 2012-10-23

(2012-10-23, 05:01)Riskey Wrote:
(2012-10-23, 00:29)lrusak Wrote: As for the thermal paste, Always use new stuff (or try to)

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering what to clean the old stuff off with. Now if there was just a way I could reinforce the replacement brackets.

Reinforce why? I still don't understand why yours broke off.... no one else has that problem.... on the shuriken did you install the bracket clips on there correctly? too much pressure.... this is weird...

If it bothers you too much... why not get the big shuriken it comes with its own bracket that gets installed under the mobo and you don't need the stock plastic ones that broke off on you.

RE: Help, my A6-Pack has a busted heatsink bracket! - GortWillSaveUs - 2012-10-23

^^^^^
+1