Kodi Community Forum
Movie Sets Collection Grouping for Video Database Library Custom Sort Order Filters? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Movie Sets Collection Grouping for Video Database Library Custom Sort Order Filters? (/showthread.php?tid=14476)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

- clackerdacker - 2008-09-06

Just to keep momentum up how about this idea for grouping, kinda paraphrasing the last couple of ideas.

1. Introduce a sort field in the database for videos and use this for sorting and if it's blank use the title field.

2. Add a sort title node to the .NFO file and scraper so those of us who want the Alien, Die Hard, Rambo, Harry Potter, Dirty Harry etc collections to run in 'proper' film order can drop a .NFO file in the directory and Bob's your uncle.

Good? Bad? Indifferent? I've limited C++ skills being a C# head but I did see there are at least 2 spare fields in the database definition ...

- spiff - 2008-09-06

db is completely full for movies and i dont see the need to store a sort order either. this should be done using some tag in the nfo file + a database directory node imo

- clackerdacker - 2008-09-06

spiff Wrote:db is completely full for movies and i dont see the need to store a sort order either. this should be done using some tag in the nfo file + a database directory node imo

Fair enough, but to be balanced about it some people do see the need although I'm all for doing it externally of the database somehow. What is a "database directory node" exactly? All my NFO files now have a sorttitle node so I'm all for given it a whirl.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to be a squeaky wheel about all of this, I just want to try and get a solution that doesn't impact those that don't and makes those that do jump for joy.

- angryshot - 2008-09-10

another suggested way for this function

the TV show lib in MediaStream (could be in others but i don't really use them) allows you to look a movies in the TV Show Lib if you select the "Add to TV Show" option on the movie in the Movie Lib.

So how about just adding an option to "Add to Ology" or "Add to Movie Group" or some such on each Movie in the same way as "Add to TV SHow"

Then you can access the Ologies or Movie Groups as a single item in the Movie lib. The thumb would be by default the first movie in order and maybe some ordering system could be used - would be best if this metadata came from IMDB but not sure they keep that. Maybe using year would be good enough (although movies released in strange orders eg Star Wars make it not work). On second thoughts year works well - the info is there and it is logical

my 2 cents

- rwparris2 - 2008-09-10

angryshot Wrote:would be best if this metadata came from IMDB but not sure they keep that.

Yes, imdb does keep track of that sort of stuff under /movieconnections. They tag related movies as "follows" and "followed by."

See star wars :the empire strikes back , ghostbusters , lotr

Off the top of my head, the only way I can think to use this info is an option like highlight Alien>movie info>see movie connections>create new movie group. Some of you UI experts could probably make that part a lot more intuitive...

The info is there, hopefully we can use it.

- sho - 2008-09-11

This is certainly interesting, now how to get this into a future version of XBMC in a sensible manner Smile
One idea would be a "connections" View type.
I guess the headache would be to have XBMC automagically pick up the connections in your db and display them, without user intervention.

- clackerdacker - 2008-09-13

Given this situation is the exception rather that the rule I still think having a sorttitle field that can be manually edited in the same way that the title field is via a menu option is the least intrusive.
  • I know the table is "full" but can't the constant in the code limiting the number of columns be extended?
  • If not, can't a new table be created for extended movie data and linked one on one via the movie id? This could then have fields added to it as required as I'm sure there'll be other features requested in the future.
I can't see any way that automating the process will work to everyones vision and therefore it should be up to us to decide how our data is modified.

- rwparris2 - 2008-09-13

Quote: I can't see any way that automating the process will work to everyones vision and therefore it should be up to us to decide how our data is modified.

Agreed. Link Movie To TV Show requires user intervention, and so should this. Scrapping IMDB could help suggest/automate things, but ultimately it should be the user's choice.

- jmarshall - 2008-09-13

You can, ofcourse, bump the number of columns and add another one (or 10).

- Rand Al Thor - 2008-09-13

clackerdacker Wrote:Given this situation is the exception rather that the rule I still think having a sorttitle field that can be manually edited in the same way that the title field is via a menu option is the least intrusive.
  • I know the table is "full" but can't the constant in the code limiting the number of columns be extended?
  • If not, can't a new table be created for extended movie data and linked one on one via the movie id? This could then have fields added to it as required as I'm sure there'll be other features requested in the future.
I can't see any way that automating the process will work to everyones vision and therefore it should be up to us to decide how our data is modified.

This seems like a pretty logical way of doing it. That way there are less chances of people complaining that it doesn't sort the way THEY want it to. Each person can set sort as wacky as they please. I guess that would negate the "series stacking" Ie you would click on Indiana Jones and then it would show the Indiana Jones movies. While the stacking of movies in a series sounds nice, I see it more as a fluff feature. Set sort just seems much more straight forward from a design, navigation, and logic standpoint. Just my thoughts. Cheers.

- Gamester17 - 2008-09-13

rwparris2 Wrote:Yes, imdb does keep track of that sort of stuff under /movieconnections. They tag related movies as "follows" and "followed by."

See star wars :the empire strikes back , ghostbusters , lotr

Off the top of my head, the only way I can think to use this info is an option like highlight Alien>movie info>see movie connections>create new movie group. Some of you UI experts could probably make that part a lot more intuitive...

The info is there, hopefully we can use it.
I think that would be a great idea as the "followed by" and other "movie connections" information is listed on IMDb
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080684/movieconnections
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120737/movieconnections
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087332/movieconnections

Nod

- clackerdacker - 2008-09-14

Sounds and looks good, the only caveat here though is the movie connections seem to be purely chronological and Star Wars 1-3 being prequels should appear prior to 4-6 but that should be easily fixed manually once the data is returned.

I think this might well be the best compromise at an automatic sorting solution and I'm all for compromises to achieve a common goal, although I'm still of the opinion that manual intervention is the cleanest and lowest impact solution. You gotta love XBMC!

- Gamester17 - 2008-09-14

clackerdacker Wrote:the only caveat here though is the movie connections seem to be purely chronological and Star Wars 1-3 being prequels should appear prior to 4-6 but that should be easily fixed manually once the data is returned
I think that many Star Wars fans will disagree with you there about in which order the should be watched for the true saga experience Rolleyes ...but that is a discussion for a other time and place, ...maybe in a galaxy far far away.

- clackerdacker - 2008-09-15

Gamester17 Wrote:I think that many Star Wars fans will disagree with you there about in which order the should be watched for the true saga experience Rolleyes

I'm 42 and remember queuing up to see Star Wars, watching it, then queuing up again and then again! My 10 year old on the other hand has a totally different perspective, although even he thinks Jar Jar Binks is a well we all know Nod

- angryshot - 2008-09-26

for me the issue is not the order that things would be in (there are many ways to order movies, date, part, alpha etc - i am happy to use what ever) although i guess others do in which case being able to select another order might be nice but i'll be buggered if i had to manually group 20+ Bond films together - it should be automatic as a first step.

the problem for me is finding the movie in the first place.

take James Bond for example 20+ movies that using IMDB and Lib view today spreads them from a-z (well not quite but close to)

then take Indiana Jones - the first movie is called Raiders of the lost Ark where are the others are called Indiana Jones and..... and hence not together

the way i think of finding movies is group then specific movie (i can't remember the specific naming conventions for each series)

my 2 cents