Kodi Community Forum
Android Best android device for running xbmc ? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Android Best android device for running xbmc ? (/showthread.php?tid=145247)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Best android device for running xbmc ? - Tumpe9321 - 2012-11-15

Hi

In my livingroom I have a HTPC running XBMC, it works flawless, but since we only watch a movie once or twice a week, we are considering some alternative.
I am thinking about getting one of those cheap android devices. I have read that there are previews and betas avalible for MK802 and Oval Elephant, but I can't see anything about how stable they are (I know that since they are previews and betas, I should not expect them to be perfect).

So the question is, can anyone tell me if any of the current versions for, Oval Elephant or MK802 are runnning XBMC good enough, to be able to watch a movie without to much hassle, and using the subtitles plugin (the one downloading subtitles from opensubtitles.org).

RE: Best android device for running xbmc ? - Ned Scott - 2012-11-15

Best Android device for XBMC today? Pivos XIOS DS.

I'd stay away from the MK802. Not sure on the Oval Elephant, but in theory it should work.

RE: Best android device for running xbmc ? - ab1x - 2012-11-16

is aztech PlayXtreme 2, Wireless Internet TV Hub - ITV102EW good for xbmc

RE: Best android device for running xbmc ? - Ned Scott - 2012-11-16

Honestly, the best thing you can do is search around and see if someone has actually tried XBMC on the device. There's so many of them, and even ones that look identical can have vastly different guts, that I would not buy anything without hearing first that someone has directly tested XBMC on it.

RE: Best android device for running xbmc ? - Tumpe9321 - 2012-11-16

I guess I'll just have to wait.. it seems that this is not the right time to buy a box for just running XBMC.
Seems like there are a lot of things happening for the android xbmc .. so waiting a month or two might be a good idea.

RE: Best android device for running xbmc ? - Robotica - 2012-11-16

yes.. Pivos is your best bet for now. Actually, it's relative expensive for an android htpc but you get support by davilla. Soon, similar and cheaper products with the same amlogic chipset (but without the broadcom/davilla combo) will come along. Also, android development in xbmc will bring in more chipsets and necesarry major architectural changes, mandatory chipset and hw acc. related features, android related stuff, major video playback specific changes, etc. In other words, Xbmc on android (and even on pivos) needs to mature and better options will come along..... If you want the best experience and don't mind paying an extra 100 bucks, i would stick with amd fusion for now. Or nvidia if you prefer.. In the end it all depends on what you want in terms of features, experience and price.

RE: Best android device for running xbmc ? - tndroopy - 2012-11-17

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. Been looking for a device to replace my three xbox for a while now.

I'm really excited about what is going on with the Android and Raspberry Pi ports and all the new hardware supported. I just don't know when it would be a good time to pull the trigger, and what device to get. So much is changing so quickly that I'm not where to find a review on how things are now with these devices.

It would be great to get an updated review on how things stand now with the Pivos XIOS. Is android or linux best for it? What works? What doesn't?

I could always just bite the bullet and finally buy a full htpc to do the job, but I really like the idea of an appliance that just works. As of right now, I'm mostly in wait and see mode. My original plan was to wait for Pivos next device (whenever that gets released) and hope it makes up for any shortcomings in the current version. I think I'll continue with that plan and continue lurking until then...

RE: Best android device for running xbmc ? - Tumpe9321 - 2012-11-17

I'm not involved in this personally (haven't even pledged for it) ... but I guess this is a good shot, if it gets funded. Do you guys agree, that it would perhaps be worth a shot? ... or is likely that the Pivo XIOS is better ?

http://www.indiegogo.com/open-amlogic-box?c=home

RE: Best android device for running xbmc ? - j1nx - 2012-11-17

(2012-11-17, 09:53)Tumpe9321 Wrote: I'm not involved in this personally (haven't even pledged for it) ... but I guess this is a good shot, if it gets funded. Do you guys agree, that it would perhaps be worth a shot? ... or is likely that the Pivo XIOS is better ?

http://www.indiegogo.com/open-amlogic-box?c=home

At this moment the best box for XBMC as primary goal, is really the Pivos XIOS DS. These guys just have the best support and software access, team members etc.

If you want to do more with the device, other Android features and such, then their might be better options out there (hardware wise). The biggest problem with all of them, is software / support. There are some smart guys that can hack and crack their way into stuff, copy & pasting components from multiple sources to create some sort of "best of all" solution. But it still a bit ...

My goal of above Indiegogo project is to create a GPL compliance train of people from Factory to end user. We buy 500 units and are there for entitled to get the sources as they sell it with GPL software. I again sell the box to you and will release the sources because of that to you the end user.

The hardware is based on the f16ref board, which can be checked out from AmLogic github servers. But you need to have a SSL certificate with them to be able to do that.

Having the proper checked out sources from AmLogic gives the community the proper tools to really start fixing the many problems, creating proper custom Android roms and most important, allowing the box to run a buildroot environment from nand aka native linux xbmc port.

It might be a shot in the dark, but better tried then keep shouting and do nothing...

RE: Best android device for running xbmc ? - ab1x - 2012-11-18

i try with aztech PlayXtreme 2 is working easy and smooth but i cant find video subtitle "character set"

it XBMC Linux Port to the Pivos XIOS DS same update img

RE: Best android device for running xbmc ? - davilla - 2012-11-18

yoda speak again Smile

RE: Best android device for running xbmc ? - badgerboy123 - 2012-11-19

How about this unit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140878246364&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

it seems as though it has the same specs as the Pivos, but I am not sure. I have made a centralised server to store all of my media and I just want some cheap XBMC streamers to get all the content from the server, so I was looking to buy 5 of these, but don't want to waste my money if they won't work.

RE: Best android device for running xbmc ? - Xeno43 - 2012-11-19

(2012-11-15, 16:15)Ned Scott Wrote: Best Android device for XBMC today? Pivos XIOS DS.

I'd stay away from the MK802. Not sure on the Oval Elephant, but in theory it should work.

Psh nooo everyone buy MK802s... Then maybe someone will try extra hard to support it Tongue But really, I got one for $40, shipped, thats the same price as the Raspberry Pi with shipping, and this came with a case and an HDMI cable. If this thing gets XBMC, I'll buy 10 Big Grin I've heard people say they can get 1080P running fine on it but then some xvids don't work :/ So you know... maybe someday

RE: Best android device for running xbmc ? - Ned Scott - 2012-11-19

(2012-11-19, 09:17)Xeno43 Wrote: Psh nooo everyone buy MK802s... Then maybe someone will try extra hard to support it Tongue But really, I got one for $40, shipped, thats the same price as the Raspberry Pi with shipping, and this came with a case and an HDMI cable. If this thing gets XBMC, I'll buy 10 Big Grin I've heard people say they can get 1080P running fine on it but then some xvids don't work :/ So you know... maybe someday

Everyone did and even wrote letters to Allwinner to help get support for it, and they just strung us around. Maybe in the future it will be different, but I wouldn't bet anything on any Allwinner A10 hardware like the 802.

RE: Best android device for running xbmc ? - nikiiv - 2012-11-19

What about Freescale i.MX6.. According to CNX the specs has been released in full
http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/11/18/freescale-i-mx6-resources-development-boards-documentation-source-code-and-tools/