Kodi Community Forum
Some video is vertically stretched but still with black bars - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: Some video is vertically stretched but still with black bars (/showthread.php?tid=146580)

Pages: 1 2

Some video is vertically stretched but still with black bars - Aeropars - 2012-11-28

Hi all,

I'm using xbmc on Apple TV and I have some titles which seem to be stretched vertically however there are still black bars at the top and bottom. The file plays ok in VLC media player on my pc so I'm a bit stumped. I've played with the on screen display but I can't seem to get it right.

Most of the movies I have play ok, there's just a select few that don't.

Any ideas?

RE: Some video is vertically stretched but still with black bars - artrafael - 2012-11-28

Welcome to the XBMC forums.

Which Apple TV model and which operating system (iOS, OSX, Linux)?

RE: Some video is vertically stretched but still with black bars - Aeropars - 2012-11-28

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I'm using Apple TV 2 (black) on ios.

RE: Some video is vertically stretched but still with black bars - artrafael - 2012-11-29

OK, I'll move this thread to the iOS Support forum where it will get more attention from folks who are knowledgeable with this platform.

RE: Some video is vertically stretched but still with black bars - Aeropars - 2012-11-29

I've been doing some reading and i see there's a TV calibration setting and the part of this which I think might help is the part where you make sure a square is perfectly square.

Should I need to do this or should the default settings suffice on this?

RE: Some video is vertically stretched but still with black bars - Ned Scott - 2012-11-29

By default it should be perfectly square.

From your description of the problem, I'm not actually sure what's going on. Are you trying to fill the screen using videos that are a different aspect ratio than your TV?

RE: Some video is vertically stretched but still with black bars - Aeropars - 2012-11-29

Thanks for the reply.

My TV is a 16:9 plasma and I'm using the default settings on an apple TV 2. I have a number of films which are 16:9 which, when played, seem to fill the screen correctly, don't look stretched and play exactly like a 16:9 DVD would.

I have some other films which are of a wider aspect ratio so if they were on DVD you would have the black bars at the top and bottom. When played through XBMC they are vertically stretched so the image is distorted making everyone look long in the face HOWEVER there are still black bars at the top and bottom, albeit, narrower. The only way I can seem to get this to look like it should is to fiddle with the pixel ratio during playback which is a little annoying.

When I run the video calibration and it asks me to select the position of each corner, I don't actually need to do anything as they are perfectly placed.

Any ideas?

I've attached a couple of pictures which might explain the problem a bit better. You can see that there's still black bars at the top and bottom however the aspect ratio is not right. It should be a wider view (so thicker black bars). I'm not sure what aspect ratio this title is (Its harry potter and the half blood prince if anyone knows it)

Can anyone help?

I've downloaded XBMC with the same theme on my PC and tried the same file and it works perfectly. Perhaps I've inadvertantly changed something which has affected this. Is there a way to reset all settings to default?

RE: Some video is vertically stretched but still with black bars - jmarshall - 2012-11-29

Toggle the view mode (OSD->video settings) back to "Normal".

Hi. It is already. Meant to add that to my earlier post. I've now changed the screen shot so you can see my settings.

To make it look ok I have to change the pixel ratio to 1.25. That's baed on my vision and nothing else.

I'm assuming I should be able to leave this at 1.0 as it is on my pc.

RE: Some video is vertically stretched but still with black bars - jmarshall - 2012-11-29

It's probably a file where both the container and codec have aspect ratio assigned (that differ). XBMC chooses one, VLC chooses the other. There is no "right" choice.

It may be different in Frodo - not sure.

But I have the same version of xbmc on my pc and it plays fine?

RE: Some video is vertically stretched but still with black bars - Aeropars - 2012-11-30

How can I set xbmc back to default? I've tired firecore media player as well and it works fine. I've removed it so there is no comparability issue.

RE: Some video is vertically stretched but still with black bars - Aeropars - 2012-12-03

Anyone??