Kodi Community Forum
Using VU+ over the internet - possible? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: PVR & Live TV Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=167)
+---- Forum: Other Backends (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=173)
+---- Thread: Using VU+ over the internet - possible? (/showthread.php?tid=147465)

Using VU+ over the internet - possible? - xbmc_j - 2012-12-07

Hello,

I've just installed a nightly build of xbmc on my atv2 and then set up the pvr using the Enimga2 (designed for VU+ but using it on an ET9000).

So far so good. Seems to work ok (Some things are a bit slow but the basics work for sure).

I'm testing it with the ET9000 on the same network as the atv2. But does anyone know how/if it would cope if I put the ET9000 in another location (another country actually) and streamed it over the internet?

Is the ET9000 sending a full HD stream (in which case I'd guess no) or is any transcoding going on?

If it isn't possible, the alternative is to use a PC to transcode (or maybe to ditch the idea of using an Engima2 device and just setup a Myth box)

Many thanks
John

RE: Using VU+ over the internet - possible? - Ralph1968 - 2012-12-07

Hi John

It should work as you expected if all the port forwarding stuff is set up right and you're having a dyndns...
There is only one big issue that is the main problem it's about the sending stream.
In this kind of Linux boxes (dream,vu,et9000) the outsending stream is the same as it comes from the tv provider there is no compression done.
This means for SD material about 6mb/s and on HD up to 15mb/s.
So if you want to stream over Internet you need that amount of UPLOAD or a bit more...
To get this is not very cheap here in Germany ...
Don't know how the situation it is on your side.
Also you have to have the ability to get this rate on the receiving side as download but this should not be the problem.

If you can't get the affordable upload you should look for a Slingbox Hd this devices can convert an incoming signal to a lower bit rate and than stream over the Internet using much less bandwidth ...

RE: Using VU+ over the internet - possible? - xbmc_j - 2012-12-07

(2012-12-07, 16:29)Ralph1968 Wrote: Hi John

It should work as you expected if all the port forwarding stuff is set up right and you're having a dyndns...
There is only one big issue that is the main problem it's about the sending stream.
In this kind of Linux boxes (dream,vu,et9000) the outsending stream is the same as it comes from the tv provider there is no compression done.
This means for SD material about 6mb/s and on HD up to 15mb/s.
So if you want to stream over Internet you need that amount of UPLOAD or a bit more...
To get this is not very cheap here in Germany ...
Don't know how the situation it is on your side.
Also you have to have the ability to get this rate on the receiving side as download but this should not be the problem.

If you can't get the affordable upload you should look for a Slingbox Hd this devices can convert an incoming signal to a lower bit rate and than stream over the Internet using much less bandwidth ...

Thanks for the reply. That's basically what I was worried about - the bandwidth needed. It's from the UK to Spain and there simply isn't that upload in the UK or the download in Spain!

So it would need to be transcoded to a lower quality.

The options I see are a slighbox hd, or a mythtv box which I think transcodes on the fly.

I'm not sure how the slingbox can be received though - can it be received into xbmc? I'll do a search.

Thanks
John

RE: Using VU+ over the internet - possible? - Ralph1968 - 2012-12-07

Maybe this helps...
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Slingbox

RE: Using VU+ over the internet - possible? - xbmc_j - 2012-12-08

Yes, thanks Ralph, I was reading about it last night.

Basically I just need to to decide between buying a slingbox to attach to a satellite or freeview receiver, or a myth tv box (I have a spare machine and DVB-T and DVB-S2 cards)...

Using VU+ over the internet - possible? - jdembski - 2013-01-27

I think the new duo2 and solo2 receivers actually support on-the-fly transcoding...

RE: Using VU+ over the internet - possible? - seninha - 2013-03-13

I had this same question, and found several how to's using VLC.
But unfortunately none of those work for me.

After checking for at least two weeks I finally found a working solution.
That is:

Enigma -Tv

This piece of software does exactly what I want. I am now able to stream and select channels from outside my home network.
Works really good. NodNod

RE: Using VU+ over the internet - possible? - Dam0 - 2013-05-27

that enigma-tv application looks great, but for the life of me, i am unable to find the cost for a licence on there website?

does anyone have any idea pls?

tia,
Dam0

RE: Using VU+ over the internet - possible? - seninha - 2013-05-31

You need to log in to see the price:

Enigma-TV works great as soon as you steam SD channels.For HD you will need a high upload connection.
I do have a 6Mbit/s upload and still not able to stream HD, that is why i made a SD channel bouquet on my enigma receiver.

RE: Using VU+ over the internet - possible? - Dam0 - 2013-06-27

that program seems to have bitrate control, but unfortunately i cant seem to get it to stream for me.

i get a message like " dont have rights"

dam0

[edit]
nm, it needs streamer addon installed on stb
[/edit]

RE: Using VU+ over the internet - possible? - Dam0 - 2013-07-06

i dont suppose anyone else has noticed that if the product "EnigmaTV" is used in conjunction with VU+ addon, then xbmc will only display buffering constantly, and never actually feed you any streams to view/listen to.

more specifically, if you remove the "params" file from the enigmatv folder on stb and reboot, then usual behaviour with VU+ playback will resume.

ive checked, and streaming ports between the two appear to be different, however, they both communicate with the enigma2 via port 80 .

thanks in advance,
Dam0

RE: Using VU+ over the internet - possible? - rogern - 2014-02-24

Yes port 80 is to get access to the web gui on dreambox/vu+, but the stream is done on port 8001

So you have to portforward port 8001 too and UDP not TCP

RE: Using VU+ over the internet - possible? - jdembski - 2014-02-26

I'm pretty sure that the VU is streaming on port 8001/tcp, not UDP Smile

If someone has a VU+ Duo2, maybe he could test the transcoding by changing the streaming port of the VU+ addon from 8001 to 8002?

RE: Using VU+ over the internet - possible? - benpower85 - 2014-04-28

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place but I thought I'd ask as there are postinggs about ATV2 and Slingbox;

Can you work slingbox HD through an ATV2 using XBMC?