Kodi Community Forum
XBMC DVD-Player Announcement - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: XBMC DVD-Player Announcement (/showthread.php?tid=14887)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

- darkie - 2005-09-12

the day many of you have been waiting for has finally come; xbmc's built-in dvd-player core is now officially open to the public for general usage. the new dvdplayer-core, which a few of our developers have been working on for almost a year has been enabled in our cvs and is of today the default player for dvd-video playback in xbmc. please be patient with it, understand that it can be a bit buggy, it has some limitations, and still needs a lot of work. the basics functions for dvd-video playback (dvd-menus support) is in there and from now on we will accept (properly formatted) bug-reports from end-users and we will do our best to help users of the player. we would also like to take this moment to ask and encourage programmers who may or may not yet have contributed to the xbmc project to step up and assist in the development of this new core for dvd-video playback. please take a look at the source code, its potential, and then look at the many (big and small) features that are missing or lacking, there are things that almost anyone can help with.

a special thanks goes to all people and groups who made a donatation!

@end-users; please realize that this player is and always will be a work in progress, there are existing bugs and there probably will be many more during the course of the development as there is in any open source project (including the rest of xbmc). you can all help the project, when you report a bug first do a search to make sure that it is a new bug that hasn't been reported before and then follow the official xbmc bug-reporting procedure, (please provide as much details as possible and remember that providing too much information is much better than providing too little). good bug-reports will help us if our developers can replicate the symptom/problem or easily see the cause, ...though due to the nature or dvd-video that might sometimes be impossible without the specific dvd-video disc that has the problem. in those cases we suggest that you talk with any volunteering programmer willing to look at your disc about either shipping it to him/her or buying one exactly the same for them, (unfortunately discs can not be returned). by the way please note that you should only post feature requests/suggestions regarding the dvd-player in the existing pinned topic thread in the feature suggestions forum as they will otherwise clog the forums.

@programmers: now that the dvdplayer-core has been made public the xbmc project needs more c/c++ programmers to actively assist with bug-fixing and the development of this new dvdplayer core, there are many ways in which you can help. for starters we advise you to make sure that you can compile xbmc gui and the dvdplayer-core separately by yourself, once you done that you probably want to setup a debug environment on your xbox with a debug-bios and xdk-launcher. once you can compile xbmc and the dvdplayer then we suggest that you start by simply playing all the dvd-video movies you and your friends own via the dvdplayer-core (testing all menu and playback functions), if and when you discover a bug/glitch then you try to fix it and submit a patch for it, if you can't fix it yourself then please submit a bug-report (with detailed problem/symptom description). alternatively you go right ahead and either code gui/playback optimizations or additional features/functions for the dvdplayer, ...there are many wanted features, some big and others small or semi-small that would probably even be good for c/c++ beginners and hobby programmers to get started on. technical information on the new dvdplayer core can be found here, (please respect that that topic thread is for developers only), more recommended reading can be found here, here, and here.

ps! again, please do not post any feature request/suggestions in this topic thread, instead keep those in the existing topic thread linked here!

- Gamester17 - 2005-09-12

if you can't help with any programming but still like to contribute i suggest you donate dvd-video discs to darkie and elupus or other volunteering developers :idea:
(darkie and elupus is currently the most active dvd-player devs and if they have their dvd-collection is growing it might encourage them to work even more on it)

- rothgar - 2005-09-12

this is the best news i have heard in a while. thank you xbmc for all your hard work.

- manturafs - 2005-09-12

all right!! thanks for all the hard work! i can't imagine my life without xbmc.

- Asteron - 2005-09-12

congratulations on the release team xbmc!

i've been watching the little updates on the dvdplayer in the changelog for quite some time now and am glad that you got v1.0 out the door.

-ast

- sheepie - 2005-09-12

great news and thanks for all the hard work

- BritneysPAIRS - 2005-09-12

been playing with it for a little while and although a little buggy it very nice and only way to play vobs properly.

cheers to everyone for all the work required for this.
:bowdown:

- Murmlgrmpf - 2005-09-12

respect! the dvd support now works like a charm. think there is some donnation incoming :thumbsup:

- deemeph - 2005-09-12

great work! thanks a lot for your time!

- CosyCat - 2005-09-12

:kickass:

- sYRA - 2005-09-12

woooooooooooooooot! i'm so happy, happyhappyhappy! great work guys, you own! :kickass:

- automator2k - 2005-09-13

i didn't see it anywhere but are dvd iso's supported over the network with menus and the like?

if so sweet! and if not this is still great but if i could back up my entire dvd on my comp and stream it to my box i would give you my first born!

- elupus - 2005-09-13

yes they are. Smile

- tslayer - 2005-09-13

(automator2k @ sep. 12 2005,23:26 Wrote:i didn't see it anywhere but are dvd iso's supported over the network with menus and the like?

if so sweet! and if not this is still great but if i could back up my entire dvd on my comp and stream it to my box i would give you my first born!
as elupus said, yes...

now email us your first born asap.

ts

- automator2k - 2005-09-13

thats awesome, now i just gotta find that build!!!!

...oh about the first born....

yeah...

..ill have to get back to you on that one..