Kodi Community Forum
first install.which one? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: first install.which one? (/showthread.php?tid=149915)

first install.which one? - coffeeman - 2012-12-29

hello, im going to install for the very first time.

which build should i go? dharma, eden, frodo etc?

RE: first install.which one? - artrafael - 2012-12-29

Definitely not Dharma.

RE: first install.which one? - phil65 - 2012-12-29

Atlantis and Babylon are my favourite releases. i recommend them^^

RE: first install.which one? - XBMCHUB - 2012-12-29

I'd just stick with Eden as it's the current STABLE release, best for end users.

RE: first install.which one? - Vertigo - 2012-12-29

Eden, unless some of the new features of Frodo are "must haves" for you (Audioengine is pretty damn nice if you dont have a DTS HD capable receiver).

RE: first install.which one? - magao - 2012-12-29

Frodo is pretty damned stable - I would recommend that unless there's a specific issue that prevents you from using it. It will be the STABLE release in the near future.

Unless you have a particular reason otherwise, I'd also recommend using OpenELEC for a first install (on a USB drive or SD card). In most cases it "just works".

RE: first install.which one? - Danioj - 2012-12-30

(2012-12-29, 22:12)magao Wrote: Frodo is pretty damned stable - I would recommend that unless there's a specific issue that prevents you from using it. It will be the STABLE release in the near future.

Unless you have a particular reason otherwise, I'd also recommend using OpenELEC for a first install (on a USB drive or SD card). In most cases it "just works".

I am in the same boat as the OP. The 'Pretty Damn Stable' tag from a senior user is good enough for me. 2:19PM here and all day with nothing to do but tinker. Love it.
(2012-12-29, 04:35)coffeeman Wrote: hello, im going to install for the very first time.

which build should i go? dharma, eden, frodo etc?

@coffeeman which version did you choose - and how did it go??

Re: first install.which one? - Martijn - 2012-12-30

If you install frodo skip to latest nightly versions please

RE: first install.which one? - Danioj - 2012-12-31

(2012-12-30, 05:25)Martijn Wrote: If you install frodo skip to latest nightly versions please

I didn't, but still playing around with XBMC.MyLibrary Plugin anyway!! Will upgrade to latest nightly .....

Thanks for the follow up! Happy New Year from Melbourne Australia!!!!

RE: first install.which one? - Martijn - 2012-12-31

(2012-12-31, 15:25)Danioj Wrote: Thanks for the follow up! Happy New Year from Melbourne Australia!!!!

thx.

darn, already newyear there? Better start drinking here already Tongue

Quote:No matter were you are on the planet, it's always newyear some where Big Grin

RE: first install.which one? - Six_Shooter - 2013-01-02

I have Eden on my current HTPC set-up that I assembled last weekend, in frustration of my laptop not playing nice with 1080p. A system I threw together. The laptop it replaced also had Eden on it, since Eden was the latest stable release when I came upon XBMC. I like Eden, easy to set-up and find things, also what I'm used to.

I have Frodo on my PC to play with, and it seems decent, just some things are accessed differently than Eden, which takes a little longer than for someone that is used to Eden.

If I was a first time installed, I think I would go with Frodo, might as well go with the newest build, since it will be supported longer than an older build will be.