Kodi Community Forum
Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding (/showthread.php?tid=150342)

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - snoopy78 - 2013-10-29

Hi,

i did use the ATV1200 in the setup you want (ok, i use DVB-S2, DVB-C & DVB-T simultaniously)
"
Server with DVB Viewer and 2 DVB-S2 Cards------------->Gigabit LAN -------------->ATV 1200 with LiveTV -------HDMI---------->TV
"

==> works, but sometimes the audio/video is going to be asynchronous, so currently i still use my windows htpc for live tv
==> maybe you should wait and check out this " http://www.j1nx.nl/amlogic-mx-linux-armhf-3-0-50-kernel-xbmc/ "

BR
snoopy78

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - noodle_123 - 2013-10-29

Hi,

Has anyone got the airplay function running reliably? I'm having problems with it dropping out every 10mins or so and the box needs to be restarted.

I'm running spotify on an android tablet and by using airtunes, that streams to the box. I've also got the latest Pivos XMBC build but I've never been able to get the XBMC airplay to show as available.

Cheers

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - sakis - 2013-10-29

As of today I am too an owner of the official MyGica/Geniatech 1200.
I'd like to share my experiences so far and also seek questions to the problems that I already face.
After the automatic upgrading to 20130805 f/w, I started testing the device (mostly on xbmc playback).

The good things:
- It is fully rooted, with r/rw options, so you don't have to install su or root explorer.
- The navbar automatically hides when xbmc starts.
- I watched two 1080p 5.1 AC-3 videos in xbmc (NAS SMB shares, ethernet). During the test, the first hour of each video was with 2.0 audio setting and the remaining time of each video with optical 5.1 audio setting. In a total of 4.30 hours, I had 5 video freezes of ~1 second each and zero problems with audio. Close to flawless I would say. I also watched two 720p 5.1 AC-3 episodes of Friends and the same ones on the avi uncut version (because some users mentioned problems with older xvid/divx files). Zero problems there too.
- All famous video addons worked good.
- No problems with web streams.
- It's too soon to tell but I haven't had any single freezing while navigating inside the menus of xbmc (Aeon Nox).
- No one has ever mentioned, even the official specifications page of Geniatech, the presence of bluetooth function. Pleasant surprise.

The bad things:
- Although officially you get 2gb space for system and 2gb for sd space, storage information showed that I had 1,13gb in total for each.
- On my other android device, iMito MX1, I had about 60 addons installed in xbmc, including aeon nox with fanart background and I always had 250-400mb of free RAM. Before even installing nox on 1200, I had 200-220mb of free RAM and after installing nox, fanart background and about 15 addons, I'm always between 120-180mb of free RAM. Quite odd given the facts that both devices have 1gb of RAM and that I still haven't installed any app on android system.
- Before scanning the library, I followed the advice of thebear... a few posts back and moved the thumbnails folder to a 8gb class 10 sd card for faster caching. I haven't tried moving them back to internal card, but most of the time I see black/blank background. This also happens in Movie/TV Shows/Music sections. Sometimes movie/artist/cd covers show up but most of the time they are black. Even the standard Aeon Nox backgrounds do not show up. Extremely annoying.
- Black screen comes up sometimes when I am entering System Settings and almost always when I'm trying to browse through my folders or add a source location. This makes Aeon Nox almost unusable because this black screen covers the pop-up windows. You can't see a thing. I have to go back and forth 6-7 times to make it work.
- I can't change, neither on Confluence nor on Aeon Nox, the language system and set it to my native. Every time I try it, xbmc crashes.

The neutral:
- There is an audio/video synchronisation problem but it is easily fixable within the internal DVDPlayer. On Audio Settings, set the delay to -0.250ms and click on "Set as default for all videos".

If there is any fellow owner who can help me with my problems so far, that would be extremely nice.

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - border304 - 2013-10-30

(2013-10-07, 19:20)thebearnecessit Wrote: to make dvd covers, album covers etc appear quickly:

buy a fast sdcard and configure xbmc to store all its thumbnails on the sdcard.

how to configure xbmc:

add an advancedsettings.xml file to the userdata folder with the following text in the file:

<advancedsettings>
<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>special://profile/Thumbnails/</from>
<to>/sdcard/external_sdcard/xbmc/Thumbnails/</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

NB the <to> line can be any folder you have made on the sdcard

Or use folder mount and repoint at that level. Easy to move the whole dir that way.

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - no8080 - 2013-10-30

I have just upgraded my XBMC to the 5/10/13 pivios nightly build.

A great improvement, there was a bug in the AVC codec, although this build does seems to stop most of the video skip issues, a few still remain, although the remaining skips are very short and infrequent.

The nightly build is 12.2 and my backup from the standard mygica XBMC firmware restored with no issues.

The audio may be out by 50msecs or so, only ran 1 video through it so far, but it is a 1080P 4.1 with a massive bitrate. a 18GB movie file.

NFS or SMB makes no difference to the video skips.

Neil

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - djkacc - 2013-11-01

Dear All,

Can you please advise how to unbrick a atv1200 after installing manually the spi file?
Adroid rebooted and there was an android man with status bar. Status bar went to the end then android reset and now I have only red status light and no signal on the TV by hdmi. Any method with usb stix or sd card to go to recovery didnt work. I was pressing reset then insertong power, still pressing for 5 or 10 sec reset and nothing happening. I was trying with zip and img files or with set of 5 files: factory_update_param.aml
factory_update_param.ubt
spi_MX.bin
uImage_recovery
update_stvmx_20130805_eng.zip

no luck still no signal after waiting few minutes when released reset.
I ordered the usb to ttl cable. Can you please advice me how to unbrick this lovely device?

I can confirm the two webcams are (or was Smile working with atv1200 with latest skype is
1. Microsoft life cam cinema and microphone is fine , autofocus working
2. Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000, microphone is working but autofocus is not great (probably because is cheaper webcam than life cam cinema).

Thanks

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - samot13 - 2013-11-03

Dear All,

I have a problem to play HD movies, HD live TV and recordings smoothly with XBMC.

My hardware:
Geniatech ATV1200 UBoot 20130805 / Kernel 20130829
XBMC: Pivos 05/10/13
MediaPortal TV Server 1.5 as

The HD video / TV be played but the buffer runs empty (video stutter) and it looks as if the XBMC player paused. SD material to run a long time without stuttering .

All videos and images can be played without problems over the network with the MX-Player.
So I think, I have no server / network problem.

For my point of view there is something wrong with SMB under XBMC.

I hope you can help me!

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - silverblack - 2013-11-04

Has any tried a micro sd card in an adaptor for the SD card slot ?
Its not recognised in mine.

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - no8080 - 2013-11-04

(2013-11-03, 17:48)samot13 Wrote: Dear All,

I have a problem to play HD movies, HD live TV and recordings smoothly with XBMC.

My hardware:
Geniatech ATV1200 UBoot 20130805 / Kernel 20130829
XBMC: Pivos 05/10/13
MediaPortal TV Server 1.5 as

The HD video / TV be played but the buffer runs empty (video stutter) and it looks as if the XBMC player paused. SD material to run a long time without stuttering .

All videos and images can be played without problems over the network with the MX-Player.
So I think, I have no server / network problem.

For my point of view there is something wrong with SMB under XBMC.

I hope you can help me!

This is a known problem, all HD video skips and stutters, there are various posts on this and how to help, but the latest firmware with the nightly Pivios build you are running seems to be the best combination to run.

As such is there is no way to increase the network buffer for V12.2, there is an option to add to the advance settings file, but there is conflicting info on if this setting effects SMB/NFS shares. When I get some time I am going to test this, as the default 5MB buffer seems far too small for large HD movie files.

Neil

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - samot13 - 2013-11-04

@no8080:
Thank you for your answer.

I have already tried to change the buffer size to 50MB but I have had still stuttering.
Knows somebody, if there is a bugfix planed for XBMC 13 or if there is a workaround for 12.2 available

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - @Row - 2013-11-04

Hey all, my old CRT TV finally gave up after 10 years of loyal service so I'll be connecting my ATV1200 to a HDTV once the new TV arrives. Has anyone tested successfully 1080p / 720p with component ? I remember someone on here a few months ago having trouble with it as it looks likely I'll have to use component for this box. (HDMI going to be taken up by other devices).

Thank you Smile

update: Component 1080p works fine Smile

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - no8080 - 2013-11-05

(2013-11-04, 22:14)samot13 Wrote: @no8080:
Thank you for your answer.

I have already tried to change the buffer size to 50MB but I have had still stuttering.
Knows somebody, if there is a bugfix planed for XBMC 13 or if there is a workaround for 12.2 available

As I said, there is no workaround for this.

The network buffer options for the advanced settings file is a Gotham V13 feature, this is why I said I dont think it will work in V12.2, your testing proves my theory. I doubt the V13 buffer option this will solve the issue either, as the issue is not a buffer related one, but something wrong with the way the AVC video codec works. Having a bigger buffer may lead to longer video skips, as the issue seems to be related to how the AVC video is synced with the audio. DTS tracks seems to suffer more so than AC3 encoded files.

We simply have to wait for the bug to be fixed.

Neil

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - gboijhpok - 2013-11-08

Here is the source code of Geniatech XBMC, I think some guys can modify your XBMC base on this. Geniatech XBMC source code

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - lb4406 - 2013-11-09

I switched to Plex <spits> some time ago on this box.

XBMC from what I could see, and I tried the various versions at the time, worked fine, but then I'm not a demanding user, HDMI to a 720p TV Stereo Only and 95% of what I watch is in SD anyway.

What killed it for me, was it was taking over a week to scan the entire library from my server to the box. Tried over both Wifi and LAN.
I even exported the library from my ATV2 and tried importing it, that seemed to work but the problem is there's no status bar showing how long it was going to take, so it could have taken a day or a week. Thinking nothing was happening I yanked the USB key out with the database on after a couple of hours and found that the import was in fact working.

No-one ever had any answers or suggestions, so I just switched to Plex on it which works first time out the box albeit with a a crap looking GUI.

I'm waiting for Gotham now to see if that makes any difference.

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - selectortone - 2013-11-10

I have the Mygica ATV120, which is the TV stick version and I'm finding it a little slow, but nowhere near as slow as the raspberry pi. which I struggled with on and off for several months and gave up with eventually.

I have a library of about 700 movies and 800 TV show episodes and it took me most of an afternoon to do the initial library update. This was over wifi. The unit is only a couple of feet away from the router. It takes about ten minutes now to do an update. I usually start an update and then do something else and come back to XBMC after 15 minutes or so, rather than twiddling my thumbs waiting. I don't try watching a movie while its updating, I think that's too much for its tiny brain to cope with.

Performance wise, it pulls movies off my D-Link NAS over the wifi and plays them back no problem (at 720p). I have a Revo/Win7 system too, but I find the ATV120 works fine and I don't have to navigate through Windows7 with a mouse just to run XBMC. More of an 'appliance experience'.

That's my experience anyway. Still a way to go but I think android boxes are the way of the future as the technology matures.