Kodi Community Forum
Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding (/showthread.php?tid=150342)

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - Ned Scott - 2014-02-22

(2014-02-20, 23:11)no8080 Wrote: I just wanted to add some detail to this thread, with regards to the video resolution, it has been stated that the XBMC GUI is in 720p and any 1080p video will play in 1080p mode. This is not true, despite what XBMC FAQs states, if the android video resolution is set to 720p then everything plays at 720p, if android is set to 1080p then everything is played at 1080p or upscaled to 1080p.

Neil

I think this might have been a mixup with the linux versions, where this was true for linux running on ARM boxes, but not true for Android. Or it might mean that if the Android firmware is 1080 then XBMC's GUI would still be rendered in 720, but that doesn't sound right either.

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - Ned Scott - 2014-02-22

I don't actually see that being mentioned in the Android FAQ (wiki) or other related pages. If you can point out the specific page then I'll make sure it gets updated (or anyone can sign up for an account and edit the wiki directly).

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - davilla - 2014-02-22

display switching is not implemented on android.

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - dgcruzing - 2014-02-23

I have to get back with the reference but I seem to think I read somewhere.. Via the new ROM posted that might be a flashable zip that allows this to happen... Let me try to track it down again as I know I bookmarked it for future reference..

Edit.. Found it over at freaktabs...haven't played with it yet so don't know the out come on our box's..

http://www.FreakTab.com/showthread.php?t=9958

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - no8080 - 2014-02-24

(2014-02-22, 16:59)davilla Wrote: display switching is not implemented on android.

Many people were/are under the impression it was, the display setting is taken from Android, whatever you set your Android display output resolution too, XBMC will display in,

I assume XBCM will scale the video to fit the output res? I have my android set to 1080p 60hz, so I assume lower res video files will be upscaled by XBMC to fit?

It does appears to be this way.

Also to add to my earlier comments, all Gotham nightly builds from 12/02 have serious bugs for the atv1200, so best avoided. The latest builds crash the minute you try to play a mkv with DTS audio. The nightlies have steadly gotten worse, shame, as they were really stable pre 12/02. I have reported this as a bug, but have not had any reponse.

Neil

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - helkish - 2014-02-24

(2014-02-23, 09:20)dgcruzing Wrote: I have to get back with the reference but I seem to think I read somewhere.. Via the new ROM posted that might be a flashable zip that allows this to happen... Let me try to track it down again as I know I bookmarked it for future reference..

Edit.. Found it over at freaktabs...haven't played with it yet so don't know the out come on our box's..

http://www.FreakTab.com/showthread.php?t=9958

This doesn't switch the display resolution in XBMC.

I'm more of a linux guy and I'm not an expert with android and it's internals.

The links that I posted there are for running a firmware at 1920x1080. The problem I was having was trying to set the density so that the interface wasn't so small at 1080. It's pretty hard to read some of the things from the couch even with a 55" TV. And my wife won't allow me to purchase an 80" 4K TV without a divorce.

From what I have read you can keep a higher resolution larger interface by setting the pixel density. This is where I had problems. So I did some digging around and found a couple scripts in /system/bin/set_display_mode.sh and /system/bin/reset_display_mode.sh. I have no idea when these scripts are called (boot,set display in settings).

I'm under the impression that the scripts will set the frame buffer to 1280x720 and that ro.platform.has.1080scale controls whether it is true 1080 (set to 0) or upscaled from 720.

Right now I'm running the firmware posted in those links with the following and everything seems fine.

ro.sf.lcd_density=240
ro.platform.has.1080scale=0

From what I understand both the ATV1200 and the ATV520/ATV520E have the same hardware with the ATV1200 having composite out additional. I think previously the firmware was exactly the same for both devices.

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - davilla - 2014-02-25

(2014-02-24, 12:41)no8080 Wrote:
(2014-02-22, 16:59)davilla Wrote: display switching is not implemented on android.

Many people were/are under the impression it was, the display setting is taken from Android, whatever you set your Android display output resolution too, XBMC will display in,

display switching means, XBMC will switch the display. In Android, Android owns the display. This has never changed from the original release of XBMC for Android.

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - linus1 - 2014-02-26

Hi all

I brought the Sumvision Cyclone Android X2 last week. I had read mixed reviews having been happy with my previous Sumvision Cyclone MKV, decided to go for it. I want a box only to stream media from my NAS and to use Netflix, and in addition control it wil my Harmony remote.

I spent 2 days getting more and more disappointed with this box. Video playback is fine through the stock mediaplayer app and through XBMC 12.2, but I am frustrated at not being able to use my harmony remote fastforward/rewind/play/pause buttons. To operate these playback functions I have to press menu then navigate left and right to the necessary buttons. I really dont want to use an air remote. I have tried adding devices AVT1200 and Pivos XIOS DS to my harmony remote but the fastforward/rewind/pause/play buttons still do nothing during video playback in mediaplayer or XBMC. I could setup custom sequences but this is not much of a solution.

Today I have changed the firmware from Cyclone Android X2 to Geniatech (v20130805) in the vain hope that would make a difference but it doesnt. I can't believe I'm the only person with an ATV1200/X2 trying to use video playback without an air-remote or USB keyboard. I've done a search of this thread but cant find an answer, does anyone have any ideas or help please? Many thanks

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - thebearnecessit - 2014-02-26

as far as i am aware the android version of xbmc is not capable of accepting ff, rw, stop and pause commands from remote controls. yet.

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - no8080 - 2014-02-27

(2014-02-25, 03:33)davilla Wrote:
(2014-02-24, 12:41)no8080 Wrote:

display switching means, XBMC will switch the display. In Android, Android owns the display. This has never changed from the original release of XBMC for Android.

I am on gotham 18/02, my android resolution is set to 1080p, my TV sayis it is receiving a 1080p 60hz signal, but XBMC summary page says 720p 60hz, so does that mean XBMC is not reading the resolution correctly? Or is XBMC displaying a 720p image and android is scaling it to 1080p.

Neil

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - davilla - 2014-02-27

yep, the XBMC GUI is 720p, that's what that setting reports.

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - pjoyce - 2014-02-28

Post deleted, moved to another thread

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - no8080 - 2014-02-28

(2014-02-27, 22:25)davilla Wrote: yep, the XBMC GUI is 720p, that's what that setting reports.

Ok, I am a little bit confused, to clear this up, if Android is set to 1080p, then XBMC will report 720p, which is what the GUI is set to, it therefore must be upscaled by Android to 1080p.

Due to the fact that the Android XBMC does not feature video switching then any 1080p video I play in XBMC using AML hardware decoding will be set to the XBMC res of 720p and upscaled to 1080p?

Or is the video player part of XBMC different to the GUI section and handles it's own res?

Thanks for the input,

Neil

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - htpcforall - 2014-02-28

(2014-02-26, 13:07)linus1 Wrote: Hi all

I brought the Sumvision Cyclone Android X2 last week. I had read mixed reviews having been happy with my previous Sumvision Cyclone MKV, decided to go for it. I want a box only to stream media from my NAS and to use Netflix, and in addition control it wil my Harmony remote.

I spent 2 days getting more and more disappointed with this box. Video playback is fine through the stock mediaplayer app and through XBMC 12.2, but I am frustrated at not being able to use my harmony remote fastforward/rewind/play/pause buttons. To operate these playback functions I have to press menu then navigate left and right to the necessary buttons. I really dont want to use an air remote. I have tried adding devices AVT1200 and Pivos XIOS DS to my harmony remote but the fastforward/rewind/pause/play buttons still do nothing during video playback in mediaplayer or XBMC. I could setup custom sequences but this is not much of a solution.

Today I have changed the firmware from Cyclone Android X2 to Geniatech (v20130805) in the vain hope that would make a difference but it doesnt. I can't believe I'm the only person with an ATV1200/X2 trying to use video playback without an air-remote or USB keyboard. I've done a search of this thread but cant find an answer, does anyone have any ideas or help please? Many thanks

There are many solutions. Remote apps for smart phones. USB RF remotes. Modifying the keyboard.xml to match. Ertain keypresses is very useful see here
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Modify_keyboard.xml

Honestly, if you have up down left right enter back and menu, you should be alright. Enter(ok) will get you to play pause fast. Right 30 seconds forward. Left 30 seconds back. Up 10 minutes forward and down 10 minutes back. Fine rw and ff dont work well in xbmc android and arent really necessary for video.

Have fun

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - davilla - 2014-02-28

Video on AMLogic devices is rendered to a separate video plane that XBMC's GLES cannot see. It is behind the GUI.