Kodi Community Forum
Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding (/showthread.php?tid=150342)

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - Ned Scott - 2013-01-24

These have nothing on an ODROID-U2

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - thebearnecessit - 2013-01-24

(2013-01-24, 03:49)Ned Scott Wrote: These have nothing on an ODROID-U2

What about the 100-post thread on xbmc.org with detailed discussions and instructions on getting xbmc to work? Big Grin the odroid doesnt have that.

Does it have regular and recent firmware releases and xbmc.apk's released specifically for it?

Does it have a number of xbmc users saying thy have xbmc working flawlessly on it?

And does it have a uk-based supplier?

does the odroid-u2 have all that huh? huh? :-)

(Ps im just annoyed because i was ready to place my order for the ATV1200 and now you have me confused Big Grin )

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - srle - 2013-01-24

(2013-01-23, 21:41)thebearnecessit Wrote: srle, i noticed your "bottom line" comments in the firt post on this thread.

Have these changed now since the performance of the box has improved since then?

Just wondered because it seems a bit harsh in the new context of xbmc working a lot better recently.

"The bottom line:
- Android is not Linux - Linux is way, way better
- If You want XBMC, and price is not an issue, buy a box that works with Linux builds
- If You want XBMC, and price is an issue - go with the somewhat slower but much cheaper Raspberry Pi
- If You want this box and no other - well read this tutorial
- If the optical/coax audio out does not get fixed in future builds then there is hardly any reason to go with this, and not with some cheaper box with analog audio out"

I have to say if you want just a box for XBMC, then a dedicated linux box is probably a more simple solution to set-up and configure
If you have no android ROM flashing experience and do not know what recovery is - I would not recommend a box like this to you

If you are looking for a box to play around with, that works quite well with XBMC now, and can browse the net and run other android apps as well - then this is probably it.
Again, if you are not up to the task of flashing ROM, backing up apps and do not enjoy setting up your system from scratch - then I would suggest something else - something that has commercial XBMC support - like Pivos XIOS

I personally have owned a dozen android phones, starting from G1, all have had custom firmware, and I also develop for android, so this box is a great thing to play with. I bought it to be an XBMC box, but I do not mind playing around with it.

The thing that still annoys me is the lack of NFS support and general android networking mess - but this is an issue that more or less relates to my setup because I added another ethernet interface (usb) to the box. Most people will not need or do that. Lack of NFS is a nasty one, but luckily XBMC has other options - WebDav and HTTP more or less work as well as NFS streaming wise.

I decided to go with this box primarily because of the SPDIF outputs (that work great now), Amlogic chipset and support it got from the XBMC (because of Pivos - I could not get Pivos with a reasonable delivery price, was not willing to go for a single core chipset, and it has only HDMI).

I am guessing that the Pivos guys will be releasing a dual-core XIOS soon (is this it? http://www.geniatech.com/pa/atv1210.asp ) and if I had that option at the time of purchase I would have probably payed a bit more to have a piece of mind that the box will be supported with XBMC build made for it, and to have an option to run XBMC on Linux.

Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - Memphiz - 2013-01-24

odroid-u2 has something much better then a bunch of users - believe me *cough*

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - Ned Scott - 2013-01-24

(2013-01-24, 05:13)thebearnecessit Wrote:
(2013-01-24, 03:49)Ned Scott Wrote: These have nothing on an ODROID-U2

What about the 100-post thread on xbmc.org with detailed discussions and instructions on getting xbmc to work? :D the odroid doesnt have that.

Does it have regular and recent firmware releases and xbmc.apk's released specifically for it?

Does it have a number of xbm users saying thy have xbmc working flawlessly on it?

And does it have a uk-based supplier?

does the odroid-u2 have all that huh? huh? :-)

(Ps im just annoyed because i was ready to place my order for the ATV1200 and now you have me confused :D )

This thing is so powerful that it can decode 1080P video in software, and experimental libstagefright hardware decoding builds work on it. It's an Exynos4412 Prime Cortex-A9 Quad-core processor CPU that can be overclocked up to 2Ghz and has 2 GB of RAM. And the price? $90 USD. They ship worldwide.

Dripping with AWESOME :D

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - fremar - 2013-01-24

(2013-01-24, 09:05)srle Wrote: I am guessing that the Pivos guys will be releasing a dual-core XIOS soon (is this it? http://www.geniatech.com/pa/atv1210.asp ) and if I had that option at the time of purchase I would have probably payed a bit more to have a piece of mind that the box will be supported with XBMC build made for it, and to have an option to run XBMC on Linux.

Oh that box looked really nice, have been thinking of getting my ATV2 replaced by a Pivos XIOS DS but the lack of optical out and expensive shipping to Sweden has put me back on that. Now Im getting a Tronsmart Prometheus for testing for free and get to keep that, think the HW in it is about the same as ATV1200?

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - mockingbirdblue - 2013-01-24

fremar how did you get one to "test" for free? also your better off with the ATV1200

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - fremar - 2013-01-24

A importer in Sweden wanted to have a few testers before they start to sell the box, and I got accepted to do that.

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - lordsnowbr - 2013-01-24

Its wonderfull for a linux developer but not for consumer houses.

(2013-01-24, 10:52)Ned Scott Wrote: This thing is so powerful that it can decode 1080P video in software, and experimental libstagefright hardware decoding builds work on it. It's an Exynos4412 Prime Cortex-A9 Quad-core processor CPU that can be overclocked up to 2Ghz and has 2 GB of RAM. And the price? $90 USD. They ship worldwide.

Dripping with AWESOME Big Grin

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - lordsnowbr - 2013-01-24

There is a China supplier producing one box with Exynos 4412, Silvertone ST2301 , you can check here http://www.hktdc.com/suppliers-products/Android-TV-Box/en/1X06MGBD/1962426/#

but it still too obscure....

(2013-01-24, 13:52)lordsnowbr Wrote: Its wonderfull for a linux developer but not for consumer houses.

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - Xardos - 2013-01-24

Geniatech wrote me an email, in their next geniatech-xbmc-version will be fixed following issues:

- aspect ratio (same problem as pivos-xbmc)
- video-addons problem - > doesn´t work (working in pivos-xbmc)

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - Antenne71 - 2013-01-24

@davilla and others:

Does the ATV1200 render only 720p with subsequent scaling to 1080p (independent from current scaling errors) and is this due to non-sufficient power of the single core MALI-400 or just a firmware/AMPlayer issue?

Thanks!

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - bluepeter - 2013-01-24

The 1200 is a dual core Mali, single core on the 510b, same as the Pivos M1/3 and no it does not lack 'the ponies' to coin Davilla's phrase
Xardos, a question.... have you tried any of the nightlies

http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-android/downloads/detail?name=xbmcapp-armeabi-v7a-debug-2013-01-16-full-neon-xaf-set_top-6e29ebbdf5edb60af2874f5b02afd178e1dc8940.apk&can=2&q=

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - thebearnecessit - 2013-01-24

(2013-01-24, 14:22)Xardos Wrote: Geniatech wrote me an email, in their next geniatech-xbmc-version will be fixed following issues:

- aspect ratio (same problem as pivos-xbmc)
- video-addons problem - > doesn´t work (working in pivos-xbmc)

Xardos,

1) any news on your sound problem?

I am looking for an android box to setup for a friend. can you recommend this box? It is your sound problem experience that is putting me off it. I might go for the safe option and get a pivos xios if your sound is still not working.

2) hat is this that you mention about video addons not working? are the video addons that we do not speak off (the xbmchub addons) not working at all?

3) I am thinking of getting the MYGica ATV1200, does anyone know if the firmware and xbmc.apk's released by geniatech definately work on the MyGica boxes?

RE: Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding - DrMedia - 2013-01-24

Quote:UPDATE (18.01.2013): Latest firmware -20130115, and latest Pivos apk -010813 work perfectly together. I can recommend the box to anyone now - the only thing missing is NFS support for the kernel.

Im getting stutter free playback of 1080p mkv's now :-)

However, for some reason, the only res option available in xbmc is 1280x672Huh I cant cahnge it. My TV says the signal is 1080@60, and the settings on the ATV1200 say its 1080, but XBMC does not have any other options...

Any ideas??