Kodi Community Forum
Frodo or Eden on atv2? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: Frodo or Eden on atv2? (/showthread.php?tid=151849)

Pages: 1 2

Frodo or Eden on atv2? - zinneken - 2013-01-13

I have eden on atv 4.X - can't remember the exact version of iOS, I didn't keep the os updated, but eden is in its latest version.

I wonder what enhancements there are in upgrading to iOS 5 & Frodo. Is it handling more formats? Does it render better?

How does the hardware handle the new (and I suspect more processor and memory hungry?) OS and frodo? Especially interested on large 720p mkv files?

Does the combo atv2, ios5 and frodo output 1080p or is it still limited to outputting 720p?

Thanks!

RE: Frodo or Eden on atv2? - Memphiz - 2013-01-14

720p output is a hardware limitation and will never change for the atv2.

Well judging from the complaints i would say - stay on eden if you find it usable.

RE: Frodo or Eden on atv2? - nsviper - 2013-01-14

Running Frodo RC3 on my ATV 2's and no issue with it at all, if anything it resolved a couple of buffering issues I was having, and I think (my opinion) the GUI is a lot more responsive as well.

720p MKV with 5.1 surround sound streaming beautifully.

Its a simple upgrade to Frodo - I would recommend it.

RE: Frodo or Eden on atv2? - hovnarr - 2013-01-15

I also like frodo better even if it shuts down sometimes. Quicker gui and nice with keysound.

Never got any shut downs while watching movies but when navigating in gui or downloading subtitle.

RE: Frodo or Eden on atv2? - kobyboy - 2013-01-15

May I ask you what is the fastest skin? Ive tried many but can not narrow down the best GUI and features.
Cirrius 3 and default confluence skin work well with no crashes.What skin are you currently using?

RE: Frodo or Eden on atv2? - stubbed - 2013-01-15

(2013-01-14, 13:55)nsviper Wrote: Its a simple upgrade to Frodo - I would recommend it.

Totally agree with all points. Frodo is an improvement over Eden on ATV2.

RE: Frodo or Eden on atv2? - logan_x50 - 2013-01-15

(2013-01-15, 21:45)stubbed Wrote:
(2013-01-14, 13:55)nsviper Wrote: Its a simple upgrade to Frodo - I would recommend it.

Totally agree with all points. Frodo is an improvement over Eden on ATV2.

Eden is more stable imho. I get frequent crashes when browsing through my library with Frodo and occasionally while playing movie.

However, as simple as they are the features I I love in Frodo are the sound when navigating and the key press fix. I wouldn't want to go back to Eden so I'm hoping Frodo stable release will fix my issues...if not I'll dig deeper with the help of the forum to see work out what's going on.

RE: Frodo or Eden on atv2? - nsviper - 2013-01-15

logan_x50 - it may be skin related.

I know from experience that if you're using a "heavier" skin on the ATV 2's (i.e. Aeon Nox) then trying to skip thru the library too quickly (i.e. lots of screen updates) can crash it.

May be worth a try?

RE: Frodo or Eden on atv2? - dieselboy27 - 2013-01-15

Maybe try complete uninstall of xbmc and reinstall frodo fresh.

RE: Frodo or Eden on atv2? - homerjs - 2013-01-16

I was hesitant until reading this, I am still on Eden and ios 4.3Huh old version. So I think I will the ios version the same and update to Frodo...anybody try Metropolis with Frodo? it is the skin I am currently using and don't want to change from it. Thanks

RE: Frodo or Eden on atv2? - Ned Scott - 2013-01-16

I think the only major issues Frodo has on ATV2 is when it comes to music (no gapless playback) and if you only have AC3 audio tracks and don't have a TV or receiver that can handle them (requiring XBMC to transcode AC3, which is currently broken). Overall, I think most people will either be able to work around this or it won't come up as an issue in their situations.

RE: Frodo or Eden on atv2? - nsviper - 2013-01-16

(2013-01-16, 03:07)homerjs Wrote: I was hesitant until reading this, I am still on Eden and ios 4.3Huh old version. So I think I will the ios version the same and update to Frodo...anybody try Metropolis with Frodo? it is the skin I am currently using and don't want to change from it. Thanks

Yes Metropolis works fine with Frodo - I used it as my main skin before I moved over to Hybrid.

Really annoys the wife with me swapping between skins all the time testing them out Wink

RE: Frodo or Eden on atv2? - Manuel_W - 2013-01-16

(2013-01-16, 11:22)nsviper Wrote: Metropolis works fine with Frodo
no it dosn't yet. I used Metropolis for a while with Frodo on my ATV2. XBMC is crashing after 1-2 Day running with Metropolis. I switched back to Confluence (Moded) and XMBC is running over 2 weeks now without crashing. I thing Metropolis have a Memleak or something else, so it can't run more then 1-2 Days on ATV2 without a restart.

I have to say, i love Metropolis really and when it is back to stable on Frodo i'll use it again.

RE: Frodo or Eden on atv2? - nsviper - 2013-01-16

(2013-01-16, 12:38)Manuel_W Wrote:
(2013-01-16, 11:22)nsviper Wrote: Metropolis works fine with Frodo
no it dosn't yet. I used Metropolis for a while with Frodo on my ATV2. XBMC is crashing after 1-2 Day running with Metropolis. I switched back to Confluence (Moded) and XMBC is running over 2 weeks now without crashing. I thing Metropolis have a Memleak or something else, so it can't run more then 1-2 Days on ATV2 without a restart.

I have to say, i love Metropolis really and when it is back to stable on Frodo i'll use it again.

Thats weird - I didn't have any issues on my ATV'2 with Metropolis. Bouncing around the menus, in and out of movies/tv shows and switching view types all seemed ok to me.

RE: Frodo or Eden on atv2? - homerjs - 2013-01-16

hmm. torn now...maybe I'll wait