Kodi Community Forum
First HTPC, need advice. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: First HTPC, need advice. (/showthread.php?tid=152492)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: First HTPC, need advice. - Vertigo - 2013-01-19

(2013-01-19, 07:43)nickr Wrote:
(2013-01-19, 03:46)Justyn93 Wrote: My receiver says DTS on it if that matters and I will be running HDMI from too my Panasonic 60ut50 then it will come out and go to my receiver via optical audio.
It is highly unlikely that this will work to pass digital audio to your receiver. The TV is likely to pass through only stereo LPCM. Is there a reason you aren't going the usual route of

HTPC-hdmi->AMPLIFIER-hdmi->TV
?

Probably because his amplifier doesnt have HDMI in. I just checked the manual of that TV, and on the specs it says

DIGITAL AUDIO OUT PCM / Dolby Digital, Fiber Optic

So Im guessing it will do DD, but not DTS. It might not even do DD5.1

RE: First HTPC, need advice. - Justyn93 - 2013-01-19

Yeah I don't have HDMI receiver would some kind of a adapter work? Like HDMI that splits into HDMI and optical or digital coax

(2013-01-19, 17:55)Justyn93 Wrote: Yeah I don't have HDMI receiver would some kind of a adapter work? Like HDMI that splits into HDMI and optical or digital coax

Read the link in my sig, it mentions it and has a link to such an adapter on amazon. Its not ideal, and Ive not tested it, but it should work.

RE: First HTPC, need advice. - Justyn93 - 2013-01-19

If that didn't work out would using just the stereo Jack make the sound not laggy?

Re: RE: First HTPC, need advice. - nickr - 2013-01-19

(2013-01-19, 22:40)Vertigo Wrote:
(2013-01-19, 17:55)Justyn93 Wrote: Yeah I don't have HDMI receiver would some kind of a adapter work? Like HDMI that splits into HDMI and optical or digital coax

Read the link in my sig, it mentions it and has a link to such an adapter on amazon. Its not ideal, and Ive not tested it, but it should work.

Weird that they advertise
Quote: SPDIF Output Supports Upto 5.1CH PCM Audio
which is total tosh as spdif doesn't support 5.1 pcm

(2013-01-19, 22:48)Justyn93 Wrote: If that didn't work out would using just the stereo Jack make the sound not laggy?

No, the problem will remain. To get 2 channel audio, XBMC has to decode the DTS/AC3 source signal, and currently the Pi cant do that fast enough. I believe most AC3 files will play back okay, but DTS will stutter. You will need a splitter or an external sound card that is able to decode DTS.

Im also unsure how good analog audio on the Pi is in general. On early revisions it was horrible, but they changed the design in V2 to fix that issue, but I dont know how good it is now, as Ive never tried it.

(2013-01-19, 22:54)nickr Wrote: Weird that they advertise
Quote: SPDIF Output Supports Upto 5.1CH PCM Audio
which is total tosh as spdif doesn't support 5.1 pcm

Yeah, Im guessing they mean 5.1 channel and PCM audio.

Re: First HTPC, need advice. - nickr - 2013-01-19

You could try an external usb sound card with spdif passthrough.

(2013-01-19, 23:08)nickr Wrote: You could try an external usb sound card with spdif passthrough.

If you can find one. They are pretty rare in general, and when you do find one, it often doesnt work with linux, or doesnt support 5.1 on linux.
Ive googled around a bit, but havent been able to find an affordable card thats confirmed to work with the Pi to deliver 5.1 over spdif. If you do find one, please let me know.

Re: First HTPC, need advice. - nickr - 2013-01-19

I have two, and one definitely works with Linux. The other is untested. Bought it on whim.
The one that works is xitel pro hifi-link. Not made any more, but if you can find one on ebay etc...

Not tested either on pi specifically.

Edit: this thread mentions a turtle beach one, no model number or pi involvement though
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=152017&page=2

RE: First HTPC, need advice. - Justyn93 - 2013-01-20

If I rip DVDs or blu.ray can I choose if it will go without dts

RE: First HTPC, need advice. - nickr - 2013-01-20

Depends on your ripping software.

I have handbreak but I could change if needed

RE: First HTPC, need advice. - nickr - 2013-01-20

yeah there is an audio panel in handbrake - just set it to the audio you want to use.

Okay thanks for your guys help it's much appreciated

RE: First HTPC, need advice. - Vertigo - 2013-01-20

(2013-01-20, 01:54)Justyn93 Wrote: If I rip DVDs or blu.ray can I choose if it will go without dts

Indeed, although the problem might not be limited to DTS. I believe with high bitrates, DD5.1 might be an issue too when you are not passing through.