Kodi Community Forum
android boxes & android sticks megathread - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: android boxes & android sticks megathread (/showthread.php?tid=153102)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: android boxes & android sticks megathread - lawwolf78 - 2014-03-13

I just got a prestigio multicenter yesterday.
As i am am great fan of Lamda's i run most of his addons.
Gotv and ororo tv runs fine couldn't be happier
Now when you come to streaming any kind of an hd source like yifi the shit hits the fan.
I read up about it and tried one of the nightly builds which played the video fine but sound was out by about 5 seconds.
i went back to frodo. then in another attempt i went to the gotham build.
I must say i am very disappointed in this box.
I am looking into ways to flash this to a linux os, any help would be great.
overall it is great for the tv shows but not for any kind of quality movies.
here are the specs.

SYSTEM

System Type MultiCenter
System Form Factor Nettop
Built-in Devices Card Reader (Micro SD)

PROCESSOR

CPU ARM Cortex-A9
Internal Clock Rate 1.5 GHz
CPU Core Quantity 2

MEMORY

Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM
Installed System Memory Storage Capacity 1 GB

STORAGE

Storage Type Flash Memory
Storage Capacity 4 GB

VIDEO OUTPUT

Video Controller Form Factor Integrated
Video Chipset Mali 400

NETWORKING SPECIFICATIONS

Networking Form Factor Integrated
LAN Yes
Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11b
IEEE 802.11g
IEEE 802.11n
Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.0

INTERFACE PROVIDED

LAN Interface Quantity 1
USB2.0 Interface Quantity 2
A/V Interface Quantity 1
HDMI Interface Quantity 1

SOFTWARE

Name of OS Android 4.2

POWER

Power Device Type Power Adapter
Power Device Location External

MISCELLANEOUS

Package Type Box
External Colour Black
Included Accessories Power Adapter
Quick Start guide
IR Remote Control
Cable Included HDMI Cable

RE: android boxes & android sticks megathread - derrickrozay - 2014-03-16

Hey I have a few questions about android boxes I'm looking to upgrade from a pi.

1) If I use an android box do I need a mouse and keyboard?
2) Are there any that will boot directly into XBMC when I power it on?
3) If I bought the ATV5200 could i flash a linux build and would it be better/worse?

RE: android boxes & android sticks megathread - thebearnecessit - 2014-03-17

1 they (android boxes in general) usually come with a remote, so check out what the remote can and cant do. you may well wish to buy a remote with a keyboard on the back.

2. you can get an app that allows you to stipulate which app you want to autoboot (AUTOMATEIT)

3. not sure about that specific model, but in general linux has pro's and cons (more stable, but cant have apps from the app store, for example)

RE: android boxes & android sticks megathread - goosefromryhope - 2014-03-17

are geniatech and mygica different companies?

both seem to do the atv520 and atv1200.

RE: android boxes & android sticks megathread - spcano01 - 2014-03-17

Derrick,

Check out hardkernel.com. I bought several XUs and 1 U3, and I love them! Been running 12.2/3 and now on Beta 1/2 for Gotham. Use Android, Auto-Start fto load right into XBMC. I use FakeGPS to utilize my Aereo Subscription for local channels, and Droidmote/XBOX 360/Flirc for remotes, depending on which kid you ask. Hard to beat it for $60 or $140, the $60 one is way sufficient for XBMC only, but I like the extra overhead for emulations and the like.

RE: android boxes & android sticks megathread - derrickrozay - 2014-03-18

(2014-03-17, 20:53)spcano01 Wrote: Derrick,

Check out hardkernel.com. I bought several XUs and 1 U3, and I love them! Been running 12.2/3 and now on Beta 1/2 for Gotham. Use Android, Auto-Start fto load right into XBMC. I use FakeGPS to utilize my Aereo Subscription for local channels, and Droidmote/XBOX 360/Flirc for remotes, depending on which kid you ask. Hard to beat it for $60 or $140, the $60 one is way sufficient for XBMC only, but I like the extra overhead for emulations and the like.

Can you run linux XBMC on the odroid u3? Also how is the android version is it buggy? Any problems? Have you used another box before hows this compared to it?

RE: android boxes & android sticks megathread - memeka - 2014-03-19

I am also running xbmc on odroids (xu, u2/3) (and raspberry pi).
No bugs in Android version.
But I am running the Linux version on the XU which works very well.
On the U2/3 the linux version is buggy, recommended is android version.

RE: android boxes & android sticks megathread - kily69 - 2014-03-19

Hello ... looking for a stick that read well the movies at 1080p, good wi fi and that works well XMBC.
So many do not even know which one to choose. Mk809III is a good choice??
What to advise a price of 45 €.

cumps

RE: android boxes & android sticks megathread - fPApi - 2014-03-19

I installed XBMC Gotham on Android device (Odroid-xu), but when start to play some of the files (typically: mpeg-4 xvid) simply exit out of XBMC. On the same device XBMC Frodo plays the same file without any problem. What could be the problem?

RE: android boxes & android sticks megathread - davilla - 2014-03-19

(2014-03-19, 06:51)fPApi Wrote: I installed XBMC Gotham on Android device (Odroid-xu), but when start to play some of the files (typically: mpeg-4 xvid) simply exit out of XBMC. On the same device XBMC Frodo plays the same file without any problem. What could be the problem?

you tell us by posting xbmc.log/logcat, we are not mind readers and the crystal ball got stolen long ago.

RE: android boxes & android sticks megathread - spcano01 - 2014-03-20

(2014-03-18, 00:12)derrickrozay Wrote:
(2014-03-17, 20:53)spcano01 Wrote: Derrick,

Can you run linux XBMC on the odroid u3? Also how is the android version is it buggy? Any problems? Have you used another box before hows this compared to it?

You can run linux, but I have to say I'm more of an android kinda guy. They have SD cards and eMMC cards preinstalled with latest builds. U3 is being tested with 4.4, and has CM running on it. The XU has 4.2.2, and is what I have mostly. Android builds are great, been running nightlies until Beta 1/2 came out. Only used rPi, hated it. Too slow, not wife friendly in that it corrupted the SD card all of the time so I had to keep f'ing with it. Plus, very slow...U3 is $20/more, and it flies -no tweaking RSS feeds or thumbnails needed. Besides that, only used my laptops of varying speeds/builds and an older Acer nettop with OpenElec. End of day, I'm an android fan and use it as a 2nd desktop with Chrome Beta, Office, etc.

RE: android boxes & android sticks megathread - funtasticguy - 2014-03-20

(2014-03-20, 05:26)spcano01 Wrote: You can run linux, but I have to say I'm more of an android kinda guy. They have SD cards and eMMC cards preinstalled with latest builds. U3 is being tested with 4.4, and has CM running on it. The XU has 4.2.2, and is what I have mostly. Android builds are great, been running nightlies until Beta 1/2 came out. Only used rPi, hated it. Too slow, not wife friendly in that it corrupted the SD card all of the time so I had to keep f'ing with it. Plus, very slow...U3 is $20/more, and it flies -no tweaking RSS feeds or thumbnails needed. Besides that, only used my laptops of varying speeds/builds and an older Acer nettop with OpenElec. End of day, I'm an android fan and use it as a 2nd desktop with Chrome Beta, Office, etc.

Based upon this information, I'm looking into buying a U3 running Android. I have a couple of questions. If you plug a USB drive into the U3, can it read NTFS hard drives (where my movies would be stored)? Secondly, can you install Android apps on the SD card (assuming you have an eMMC card already installed running the OS)?

Thanks for your input.

RE: android boxes & android sticks megathread - kily69 - 2014-03-20

(2014-03-19, 06:16)kily69 Wrote: Hello ... looking for a stick that read well the movies at 1080p, good wi fi and that works well XMBC.
So many do not even know which one to choose. Mk809III is a good choice??
What to advise a price of 45 €.

cumps

anyone??

RE: android boxes & android sticks megathread - goosefromryhope - 2014-03-20

can anyone help kily69?

RE: android boxes & android sticks megathread - Reframer - 2014-03-20

I have this one. http://tinyurl.com/n9tntj8
Nice unit but crashes on Gotham and the 1080 movies are buggy.

The price is good but I would stay away.
I am looking for another one.

Does anyone know of a good quad core under $150.00?

I would say the processor may be to slow for Gotham. I understand the is quad but the processor is at 1.5 GHz

Minimum Req. - When software decoding of a Full HD 1080p high-definition video is performed by the system CPU, a dual-core 2 GHz or better CPU is required in order to allow for perfectly smooth playback without dropping frames or giving playback a jerky appearance. XBMC can however offload most of the video decoding process onto GPU graphics hardware controller that supports one of the following types of hardware-accelerated video decoding: Intel's VAAPI, Nvidia's VDPAU, AMD's XvBA, Microsoft's DXVA, Apple's VDADecoder/VideoToolBox, OpenMAX, and Broadcom Crystal HD Enhanced Media Accelerator. By taking advantage of such hardware-accelerated video decoding, XBMC can run well on most inexpensive, low-power systems which contain a modern GPU.