Kodi Community Forum
Solved issue with Movie Sets in Frodo - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Solved issue with Movie Sets in Frodo (/showthread.php?tid=153303)

Pages: 1 2

issue with Movie Sets in Frodo - clburch - 2013-01-25

Hi, i just upgraded from Eden to Frodo RC3. I installed Frodo RC3 on same box as Eden is but installed Frodo into separate location and using the portable mode so i can keep both version for now. One thing i recently discovered as i rescraped all of movies in my library is that all of the movies that have been defined to belong to more than one movie set are not getting added to the library correctly. I have already completely setup my complete movie library with .nfo files for each movie and thus can define the name of the set(s) that a movie belongs to and this has worked fine in Dharma and Eden.

However in Frodo this appears to be broken. For example i have two sets called Alien Collection and another set called Predator collection. So for example i have Aliens vs. Predator as belonging to both sets. With Frodo the library scraper seems to be ignoring the secondary sets as the movie is only added to the first set listed. In Eden and Dharma the movie would show up in both sets. The only difference scraping wise from Frodo is that the other two versions before i always had set the movie scraper to be imdb with my understanding that if an .nfo file was present, the actual scraping from imdb would not take place and all info gathered from the nfo files and related .tbn and jpg within the movie folder. In Frodo RC3 however the only option now is to use the movie database as imdb does not appear and when i select get more addons in the movie scraper screen and imdb does not show up.

Any help to resolve this issue would be appreciated as i have a lot of movies that are in various sets. Also i'm currently running Windows 7 64bit and sometime later plan on migrating to Ubuntu linux once i figure out how to get the hdmi audio to work properly in Ubuntu.

RE: issue with Movie Sets in Frodo - jmarshall - 2013-01-25

This is by design. A movie belongs in one set only.

RE: issue with Movie Sets in Frodo - clburch - 2013-01-25

now i'm confused if this is by design then what u are saying is that in the two previous releases it was a major bug that everyone got to enjoy and thought was a feature and now you have fixed it? Or you have changed course and decided to remove this feature? Now its also strange that several media manager tools also support this option so they must have had bugs also?

Don't get me wrong if it sounds somewhat sarcastic and this is not what i mean, but just trying to get some clarification on what exactly it is and when the decision was made to remove it and why? Also are there any branches that put this capability back in that you are aware of?

RE: issue with Movie Sets in Frodo - Martijn - 2013-01-25

We decided it was best this way and there are no branches that have this decision reverted.

RE: issue with Movie Sets in Frodo - jjd-uk - 2013-01-25

Frodo now has tags if you want a movie in multiple groupings, see http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Video_library_tags

RE: issue with Movie Sets in Frodo - GreenOnyx - 2013-01-27

I handled my sets through nfo files because of how may sets xbmc was creating that I didn't want. My sets show up OK if I go into Movies -> Sets, but if I go into just Movies (i.e. Movies -> Title, which oddly then shows Videos - Title at the top of the screen) I don't see my sets, I see every individual movie. When I had xbmc handling the sets I would see the set name in there. Should set names, instead of individual movies, be displayed in the Movies area? If so there seems to be a bug either with manual sets not showing or when xbmc is handling the sets them showing.

Can anyone else verify this issue or confirm how this should be working?

On the opinion side, limiting sets to 1 seems a useless limitation for the user. I think the vast majority of users just want to group movies together and show them in the movies area so the viewer sees all movies and sets on a list. The user shouldn't have to understand a movies section, a tags section, and a sets section.

What's the benefit behind limiting it? If you don't do that the user has the ability to utilize the set "standard", which every site and other media center uses, in any way they see fit. Adding tags seems to just replicate the set's feature without the 1 maximum while limiting where things are displayed (from what I see in the documentation so far). An unneeded complication in my opinion.

RE: issue with Movie Sets in Frodo - saitoh183 - 2013-01-27

I think people in the pass releases that are having problems now because they badly utilized the set feature. I think the set feature is for using the sets that are created on TMDB. I have the option group as set turned on in xbmc setting and never had any issues in eden or frodo for seeing them show up in movie. People that want to make there own sets should utilize the tag function. I don't use any external managers for my media anymore since moving to frodo but I have used mediaelch , xwmm and tiny;mediamanager and they all setup sets in the same way xbmc does internally when you turn on the option.

With the xbmc setting "Group movies in sets" on the sets show in Movies, but if the set is specified in the nfo I see them only show in the Sets area.

This seems like a bug to me because a set should either show in movies or not regardless of whether the value came in from an internet scrape or a local nfo. Or I'm doing something wrong, which is always a very good possibility. Hoping someone that sets a single set value via nfo with this setting off can confirm what they're seeing.

(2013-01-27, 21:00)GreenOnyx Wrote: With the xbmc setting "Group movies in sets" on the sets show in Movies, but if the set is specified in the nfo I see them only show in the Sets area.

This seems like a bug to me because a set should either show in movies or not regardless of whether the value came in from an internet scrape or a local nfo. Or I'm doing something wrong, which is always a very good possibility. Hoping someone that sets a single set value via nfo with this setting off can confirm what they're seeing.

I thought that the only way to view sets in the Movie area (scraped by internet or not) is to have the setting on. if you turn it off, sets dont show in Movies area even if set tag is present

Just realized exactly what you said saitoh183, I just needed to step away and analyze it a bit more. I appreciate the info.

I wasn't comprehending that the setting was independent of the scraper. I need that setting on and to use a scraper that has it's own "scrape sets" setting, which I have and have set correctly. Everything works perfect and as expected now, thanks!

(2013-01-27, 21:22)GreenOnyx Wrote: Just realized exactly what you said saitoh183, I just needed to step away and analyze it a bit more. I appreciate the info.

I wasn't comprehending that the setting was independent of the scraper. I need that setting on and to use a scraper that has it's own "scrape sets" setting, which I have and have set correctly. Everything works perfect and as expected now, thanks!

Glad to have helped Smile

RE: issue with Movie Sets in Frodo - clburch - 2013-01-29

Actually after some review of the docs on tags and trying a simple experiment, i have come to the same conclusion that the tag feature is being implemented as another feature to get around the new limit of one movie belonging to one set, a feature that was present in previous versions. Problem is as it currently stands the tag feature is not shown inline as the previous version did and somewhat of a hassle to work with.

First you define the new tag and select the movies you want in that tag. Then when you are in your movie library and decide you want to lot at the new tag collection, you have to back out of your library, navigate into Video->Tags and get a listing there. Then you select your tag and it shows up. However if any of your movies you added to a tag are part of a regular set, then you have to click the Set name to navigate and see the actual movie which is very clunky and who nows what happens if you have multiple movies in the Tag that are part of multiple sets, just to accomplish what i was able to do before. Then when you want to get out of the Tag, you have to get out of that layer and then navigate back to the movie library which sort of defeats the purpose of having a seamless user friendly experience.

Now here is another question, was the feature ever advertised as being deprecated in future versions somewhere? I think the design team is thinking as the term Set meaning a collection of movies that basically follow the same story line i.e. Die Hard, Lethal Weapon etc. However the power and beauty that were there before was not only could you do it limited by this definition but you even had a more powerful way of doing it by subject matter. In other words just like the Aliens vs. Predators scenario i mentioned before you were not being forced to make a decision of which Set did it belong to since it had both Aliens and Predators as a classic example.

The user should not not be limited in their grouping decisions based upon an myopic view a of set being defined by what TMDB says a set is

RE: issue with Movie Sets in Frodo - Martijn - 2013-01-29

(2013-01-29, 11:48)clburch Wrote: The user should not not be limited in their grouping decisions based upon an myopic view a of set being defined by what TMDB says a set is

The user should accept the limitations of the code and accept the well thought through decision made by the devs.
Supporting multiple sets over complicated things to much so it was decided this way.

If users do not agree they are free to revert these changes on their own behalf since XBMC is opensource software.

RE: issue with Movie Sets in Frodo - clburch - 2013-01-30

I understand where u are coming from Martijn however i do feel users should be notified what features are no longer supported in a new release or soon to be deprecated and should be able to determine that before they download and try out the new environment and thus make a better informed decision to upgrade or not. Not everyone will know or care to learn how to set it up in portable mode which i took the time to learn and researched. Now its always possible that there is a page that list these details but i just have not located it yet and if so can you point me to that page?

I also feel that if the new tag feature is designed to get around the existing problem with Sets, then the devs will most likely encounter the exact same issues they had with Sets and thus will still have to address those same issues as before as they did with Sets in my opinion, but only time will tell as currently Tags are not a good seamless workaround at this time and its still raw and needs more revisions on it before the jury is out on that one.

In reference to the opensource statement and reverting as you put it, are there some system level documentation (not user but development level type) that is available for review and where is it? This would then let others who decide they want the old feature coupled with new features to be able to implement it themselves if they have that capability and share it with others if desired.

Downloading code is one thing but understanding how it all interacts with each other is quite another and a great timesaver would of course be system level documentation that explains it. Any assistance in locating this information would be greatly appreciated

RE: issue with Movie Sets in Frodo - jmarshall - 2013-01-30

It's in the Frodo FAQ: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMC_v12_(Frodo)_FAQ#Movie_sets

The reason for the restriction of sets is technical, not just to piss you off. We wished for the grouping behaviour of movie title lists to be predictable in that the number of items before and after grouping (by summing over groups) should not change. Further, it is technically possible to combine set name and year to produce a sort-title under the same restriction. This is only possible with a 1:many relation.

Tags have no such restriction as they are not involved in grouping of titles, thus, as with genres, you are free to do with them what you will.

If you wish to find the code changes that implemented this, then a search on github would be the best way of tracking it down.

Cheers,
Jonathan