Kodi Community Forum
ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC (/showthread.php?tid=155073)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

RE: ARCTIC MC001 Funky BIOS - p750mmx - 2013-03-03

(2013-03-03, 03:26)martyg Wrote: Just got my box today. Played with it some on Mythbuntu and OpenELEC.

One thing that is slowing me down is the boot order in the BIOS.
Seems once there is a valid boot record on the internal hard drive, I can no longer boot from external devices.
I have played with all the obvious boot order options in the BIOS to no avail.

I have reset the BIOS to default settings, and I'm still stumped.
Whatever I do, the machine insists on loading from the hard drive.
I have tried a SD card and USB drives. No go unless I pull the hard drive from the machine.

I am controlling which device to boot from using F11 after reset.

Has anyone else seen similar issues? Thanks!
No, I don't have that issue and I have an active Win 7 SSD in the system.
When I set it up for OpenElec, installing from SD on USB, I place both items in the system, reboot, go in to bios and I choose under Harddisk drives the SD-card as 1st drive and then I select that as 1st boot drive. Boots fine to SD. After installing OpenElec on USB I remove the SD, reboot, go in to bios and I choose under Harddisk drives the USB as 1st drive and then I select that as 1st boot drive.
No problem with booting OpenElec from USB after that setting. My Windows 7 SSD stays untouched.

[SOLVED] ARCTIC MC001 Funky BIOS - martyg - 2013-03-03

(2013-03-03, 03:26)martyg Wrote: One thing that is slowing me down is the boot order in the BIOS.

OK, I have it working now.
There are two ways to specify boot order int he BIOS, and I was using the wrong one.
Thanks for setting me on the right path guys.

RE: ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC - calibos - 2013-03-03

(2013-03-03, 13:53)cosmicvibes Wrote: ..........I think if you accept it's going to stand vertically, you'll be happy with it. I've been through a few htpc the years: a noisy old laptop, a "near silent" custom built pc that wasn't quite silent enough for me, a mac mini with a whiny fan, and a Raspberry Pi that was great but a slow interface. In the Artic I have finally found the perfect machine - and as I had memory and a usb stick to hand already, I only spent £100. I'm very pleased myself.

Full specs here:

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/living/entertainment-center/447/mc001-n.html

Me too. So I bought 6 of them in the end. Big Grin

RE: ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC - Chris P Bacon - 2013-03-04

Only the most expensive models with Win 7 pre-installed are now available for purchase from the Arctic website. I may be mistaken but it's looking like this unit is now at end of life so for anyone considering purchasing it would be wise to do so quickly while there is still stock available at $99-$119 on Amazon marketplace.

RE: ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC - Turrican147 - 2013-03-04

Just a further update for everyone waiting for delivery.
I ordered the MC001-XBMC-(EU) from Arctic on the 18th February, and have a response from Arctic this morning regarding the order:

Quote:Hi,

Due to the high volume of orders we received (over 300 orders) after the long Chinese New Year holidays(11th – 13th), we need more time to assemble new stocks, it caused many of our customers which placed their order before the holidays have to wait around 3 weeks for the item.

To be fair we will ship the items base on a first come first serve policy, hopefully your item will be shipped to you within this week, please accept our apology for the delay.

Best regards
Arctic-Cooling Webshop

RE: ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC - zaphod42 - 2013-03-04

(2013-02-28, 16:57)voochi Wrote:
(2013-02-28, 15:42)David.P Wrote: How can the internal Wifi card of the MC001 be deactivated, and an external Wifi USB stick be used in Openelec?

You can deactivate it in the BIOS if you wish.

You can't. You can deactivate on board LAN, but not WLAN, since it is technically a USB WiFi stick as you also wrote in your post.

(2013-02-28, 16:57)voochi Wrote: It is technically a USB wifi stick, it connects via an internal USB header.....I can't recall if it is soldered or just push-connector. Possibly you can just physically remove it. Its on the back side of the mobo.

That is right. It is not soldered it's just pushed. It's easy to remove after opening the black case cover...

Cheers,
Zap

RE: ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC - mfrey0118 - 2013-03-04

(2013-03-04, 12:14)Turrican147 Wrote: Just a further update for everyone waiting for delivery.
I ordered the MC001-XBMC-(EU) from Arctic on the 18th February, and have a response from Arctic this morning regarding the order:

Quote:Hi,

Due to the high volume of orders we received (over 300 orders) after the long Chinese New Year holidays(11th – 13th), we need more time to assemble new stocks, it caused many of our customers which placed their order before the holidays have to wait around 3 weeks for the item.

To be fair we will ship the items base on a first come first serve policy, hopefully your item will be shipped to you within this week, please accept our apology for the delay.

Best regards
Arctic-Cooling Webshop
Yeah, mine took almost a month to get to me. Took some getting used to, after being spoiled by Amazon Prime.

(2013-03-04, 15:18)zaphod42 Wrote: That is right. It is not soldered it's just pushed. It's easy to remove after opening the black case cover...

Cheers,
Zap

Just to be clear, is the wifi always on no matter what? I don't want any wireless devices transmitting in my HT setup, I'm using only gigabit ethernet.

RE: ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC - zaphod42 - 2013-03-04

@mfrey0118:

Yes, it is on, as long as you do not disable it on OS level.

If you really don't need it, then remove the module. It's no big deal...

Cheers,
Zap

RE: ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC - mfrey0118 - 2013-03-04

(2013-03-04, 16:56)zaphod42 Wrote: @mfrey0118:

Cheers,
Zap

So there's no way to disable it without physically removing it from the motherboard?

RE: ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC - cwide - 2013-03-05

Does anybody know if you can boot from a USB 3 port or are we limited to USB 2 for booting?

RE: ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC - David.P - 2013-03-05

Only from the latter.

RE: ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC - zaphod42 - 2013-03-05

(2013-03-04, 22:14)mfrey0118 Wrote:
(2013-03-04, 16:56)zaphod42 Wrote: @mfrey0118:

Cheers,
Zap

So there's no way to disable it without physically removing it from the motherboard?

If you mean with disable that you want to prevent any current flow through the WiFi PCB, then yes.

As I said, if you don't need any WiFi, unscrew the two screws of the black case cover, remove it and locate the small WiFi PCB at the lowest end of the box, right above the stand. Unplug the antenna cable from the PCB and then pull the PCB out of the 4 pin connector which is sitting on the motherboard. That's it. No more WiFi... Wink

Cheers,
Zap

RE: ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC - whereis - 2013-03-06

@ch4zyx : did you manage to get your machine delivered finally ?

(2013-03-01, 02:31)ch4zyx Wrote:
(2013-03-01, 02:08)teddy6565 Wrote:
(2013-02-28, 23:59)ch4zyx Wrote: For those who have ordered their model on the website arctic, which have received the tracking number, what is the tracking number gave a result?

By what carrier your order was sent? (DHL, TNT, UPS, FedEx, etc.)

Because I got the email delivery of my order, but the tracking number does not work on the website of DHL (it is stated in the email that is DHL should deliver my order)

Did you see my earlier post, I got a FedEx tracking number, it works fine saying due for delivery on 5th March.
Yes I saw. But it does not work for me, it's either DHL or FedEx. I received the email yesterday morning (February 27), and now (March 1 in Belgium) it still does nothing no matter the carrier.

I sent an email to arctic, it bothers me because I do not know where my order is and when. Especially since I paid for 3 weeks for not having received anything yet.

It does not apply in any case at amazon followed and delivery ... Disappointed.

RE: ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC - Chris P Bacon - 2013-03-06

For anyone in the UK, Arctic GmbH currently have the MC001-E model that's the barebones + DVD drive one currently listed on amazon.co.uk delivery is only available to the UK even though it is shipping from Germany. The price is £119.95 + £4.48 delivery.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B006WLMVG2/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Most of the time they are out of stock on amazon.de but they have been selling small amounts of stock every few days, yesterday they had 14 available but they were snapped up in a few hours, if you are in Europe and looking for one it seems your best hope is to keep checking on amazon.de, most times they are listed it seems to be in the morning time.

http://www.amazon.de/ARCTIC-MC001-N-Entertainment-Computer-Barebone/dp/B005AR1RT6/ref=pd_cp_computers_0

RE: ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC - talvins - 2013-03-06

(2013-02-28, 23:27)teddy6565 Wrote: If anyone is interested I ordered the XBMC version on 16 feb and received a fedex tracking number from arctic yesterday, due for delivery on 5 march

Thanks. Order on 21 feb, still waiting...