Kodi Community Forum
ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC (/showthread.php?tid=155073)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

RE: ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC - solamnic - 2013-03-12

(2013-03-12, 17:56)calibos Wrote:
(2013-03-12, 14:43)solamnic Wrote: By the way the Logitech products (with unifying receiver) work perfectly in Arctic Openelec ...

and something REALLY important about them... You can access the BIOS... Smile
Did you have to do anything special to get it to work other than plugging it into one of the USB2 ports on the back? I tried with my Logitech K800 Keyboard and Performance MX mouse with unifying receiver and neither worked.

What i did, first of all was to install Logitech Setpoint in a PC.

Then i run the unifying software and synchronized my keyboard (you can also synchronize a mouse too) to this particular receiver.

Then i removed the receiver from the PC and plugged it in a back Usb2 port of Arctic..

-> Everything worked 100% Smile

RE: ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC - Chris P Bacon - 2013-03-12

I used one 4Gb stick of RAM from Crucial. Part number; CT51264BF1339

RE: ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC - calibos - 2013-03-12

(2013-03-12, 18:05)solamnic Wrote:
(2013-03-12, 17:56)calibos Wrote:
(2013-03-12, 14:43)solamnic Wrote: By the way the Logitech products (with unifying receiver) work perfectly in Arctic Openelec ...

and something REALLY important about them... You can access the BIOS... Smile
Did you have to do anything special to get it to work other than plugging it into one of the USB2 ports on the back? I tried with my Logitech K800 Keyboard and Performance MX mouse with unifying receiver and neither worked.

What i did, first of all was to install Logitech Setpoint in a PC.

Then i run the unifying software and synchronized my keyboard (you can also synchronize a mouse too) to this particular receiver.

Then i removed the receiver from the PC and plugged it in a back Usb2 port of Arctic..

-> Everything worked 100% Smile

Aha!!

I got a unifying receiver with both the keyboard and the mouse. I configured on of them for unifying for use with my PC with Setpoint. I left that unifying receiver in the PC obviously. I plugged the spare unifying receiver into the MC001 without being configured. I thought the unifying thing was something only possible within windows, I didn't realise it was basically just registering the KB and Mouse with an onboard chip on the USB dongle and that there was no need for any drivers or setpoint software for openelec (which is the reason I thought it didn't work.)

Thanks for the quick answer!!

RE: ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC - zaphod42 - 2013-03-13

(2013-03-12, 13:24)p750mmx Wrote: Zap is right, there are indeed some issues with the latest AMD drivers and XBMC. On a Dutch website we advise to use the 12.8 drivers based on experience but if Zap has good results with the 12.10 drivers then that's a fine advice.

Didn't notice any problems with 12.10 so far. Gui is smooth, video performace up to HD video is good and HD audio is streaming...

Are there any known reasons not to use 12.10?

Cheers,
Zap

RE: ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC - nc88keyz - 2013-03-13

Thanks for confirmations on ddr3 4gb single sticks that have been proven. I ended up going with a crucial stick mentioned.

CT51264BF1339 "Ordered 3 of them"

Will update after build.

There should be a wiki for this box? Has Openelec or anyone at xbmc set one up?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the RC 11 Measly style android , pc, mac, RF remote with gyro mouse, and keyboard.

Has anyone mapped this out for XBMC?

Looks like a nice remote for $25

Im still using Dell Gyration remotes from five years ago. They just wont die!

RE: ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC - mfrey0118 - 2013-03-13

(2013-03-07, 17:27)Tobor Wrote: mfrey0118,

Can you elaborate on why you call this a "buggy little unit"? I've ordered one of the barebones units to replace my primary HTPC, and I'd like to know if it's up to the task.

Tobor

It freezes a lot. Particularly when coming out of sleep mode. I have to force reboot (hold power button down for 5 seconds). Also, if I try to select "reboot" from the Shutdown menu, it freezes and I have to reboot. Also, if I try to hit play on a movie or show on my server while it updates the library, it freezes and needs a reboot.

When it's not freezing in the above scenarios, it works wonderfully and I love it. 30 day return windows is up in 11 days, what should I do? they don't have a tech support email address on the site. I might run memtest on it and if it's just bad RAM (as was the case with the first set of RAM I bought for my home server build) then that's an easy fix.

Bottom line, I don't want to go through messy returns and then have them tell me they don't have anymore and refund my money unless I absolutely have to so if I can be reasonably sure the problems aren't due to defective hardware then I'd rather just fix 'em.

How can I tell what's wrong? Is there an error log somewhere that I can access?

RE: ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC - solamnic - 2013-03-13

@mfrey0118 Have you tried Openelec? (install it in a SD or USB just for the test)
Also change the ram if its possible

For the the Unit is pretty stable... (no crashes at all - but i use openelec.)

mfrey, there are people that bought 4 and six units on here. Wonder what is going on with yours, Perhaps it IS shaky memory doing the bad deed. The intel atom platform has been around for a good while now. Chipset is widely supported. i would say bad ram or bad unit perhaps.

I hope I am right, because i am awaiting delivery on many.

RE: ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC - solamnic - 2013-03-13

Today i bought the

Xbox Remote (black)

It works right out of the box... it has great feeling and the buttons are responsive.. (unlike Arctic MCR1 CRAP Remote) and no latency issues Smile

What I have discovered that doesnt work (for the moment):
Ch PRG (it should work as page up and page down)
Guide: (it opens Music window) (but info button works)

Also it can be programmed to control the TV (will test it soon Smile)

Overall it was a really good buy..
(i would have bought Philips SRU5108/27 but i couldnt find it in Europe)

I have decided upon dual boot installation,

80GB Intel X25 SSD, for windows and HD-Audio. Cant decide on win7/win8. Have a $15 license from samsung notebook, went with 4GB RAM

then dual boot Openelec, so i can set assist my dad in configuring his.

This will be his first PC every built , he is 62....Wish us luck.

I told him he is getting off easy since he only has to install ram, and change a couple bios settings for PM, as well as insert SD Card.

Im assuming i can just set bios to boot from SD, and if i dont want o use open elec, just remote it to to have hard drive boot.

My newfound app lovin for android is "Remote Launcher" for WOL wake shutdown, launch xbmc, close , xbmc, log off Open Chrome, and run batch files.

This might just be the perfect fanless mini htpc and for $125 with ram, how can i go wrong.

SSD was from tiger direct at holidays for $40 - Just a left over.

RE: ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC - mfrey0118 - 2013-03-13

(2013-03-13, 14:10)solamnic Wrote: @mfrey0118 Have you tried Openelec? (install it in a SD or USB just for the test)
Also change the ram if its possible

For the the Unit is pretty stable... (no crashes at all - but i use openelec.)

Well, I'm a bit confused (Linux systems are not my strong point)...isn't OpenElec already on my machine? It says OpenElec at the bottom during startup before the XBMC interface loads...
I read earlier in the thread that there are some known issues with the latest ATI drivers and XBMC? Could that be it?
Also, should I disable EUP in the BIOS?

Here is something interesting for those that are brave Smile

http://goo.gl/yxPha

F3+MC001

Also, should I disable EUP in the BIOS?

Yes, Enabled status doesn't permit you to wake from LAN i believe. or use the on/off on remote.

Can a senior advisor confirm??

RE: ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC - sstavross - 2013-03-13

(2013-03-13, 14:40)nc88keyz Wrote: Here is something interesting for those that are brave Smile

http://goo.gl/yxPha

F3+MC001

What excactly is about?
And what do you mean by F3+MC001?

attempting to be discreet = failed

That is a link to a popular site for bios mods, keyword slic21,

F3 is a function key
search for MC001 in chrome or browser of choice. on that page.

Im not going to share any more. I think I have done enough already lol