Kodi Community Forum
Lenovo Q190 - Test results & 2 questions - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Lenovo Q190 - Test results & 2 questions (/showthread.php?tid=157563)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - Trooperlooper - 2013-04-11

1) Works for me Smile Win8 is virtually unusable as an OS though, so if you plan to use the box as anything other than just XBMC, I would ditch it for Win7.
2) You need an IR receiver and the accompanying media remote for the Harmony to pretend to be. I linked to one a page or two back.
3) Haven't tried, sorry. I would be surprised if it was an issue though.
4) I run mine through a Sony AV amp with no problems.

Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - colonelblighty - 2013-04-11

Very tempted to get one if these or the intel nuc. I think I'd be better off with this though as its more suited to my skill level. I see ebuyer have them at £229.99 at the moment too. I think the plan would be to use it with openelec to feed my tv and my pj but I need to output to both separately.

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - Trooperlooper - 2013-04-11

I run a tv and projector off a single output from the box by using one of these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%A9-SWITCH-input-output-Switcher/dp/B001DAHS5Q/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365716680&sr=1-13&keywords=hdmi+splitter

Excellent little device with no quality loss Smile

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - brownn - 2013-04-12

(2013-04-11, 22:12)colonelblighty Wrote: Very tempted to get one if these or the intel nuc. I think I'd be better off with this though as its more suited to my skill level. I see ebuyer have them at £229.99 at the moment too. I think the plan would be to use it with openelec to feed my tv and my pj but I need to output to both separately.

If you are going to use Open elec instead of windows, they do a Windows free version for £199.98. Im expecting mine today so thats my weekend sorted Big Grin

Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - colonelblighty - 2013-04-12

I've already got one of those splitters feeding from the amp to the tv and pj I suppose I could use one for the q190 to amp and tv too. Do you find you need it plugged in as I do for the pj as its a 10m lead but wondering if for a short distance you'd need the amplification.

As much as I'm not a fan of windows 8 I'd say its actually worth the £30 just for the license ad I'm not too fussed about the larger hard drive as all content is held externally on my nas and another 1.5tb drive with uncompressed mkv's.

I'd need to get a ir receiver too for my harmony to make it all family friendly though I reckon that remote linked to a few pages back would do as I could copy that. One other thing what actually comes in the box e.g. Hdmi cable, Ethernet etc?

Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - colonelblighty - 2013-04-12

(2013-04-11, 23:47)Trooperlooper Wrote: I run a tv and projector off a single output from the box by using one of these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%A9-SWITCH-input-output-Switcher/dp/B001DAHS5Q/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365716680&sr=1-13&keywords=hdmi+splitter

I've just realised that's 3 in one out so you use it the other way around? The one I have is 1in 2 out as I have the out from my amp going in the a feed to the pj and the tv.

This is the one I already have

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0042KY0GY/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - JesusOnEez - 2013-04-12

(2013-04-12, 08:22)colonelblighty Wrote: As much as I'm not a fan of windows 8 I'd say its actually worth the £30 just for the license ad I'm not too fussed about the larger hard drive as all content is held externally on my nas and another 1.5tb drive with uncompressed mkv's.

I'd need to get a ir receiver too for my harmony to make it all family friendly though I reckon that remote linked to a few pages back would do as I could copy that. One other thing what actually comes in the box e.g. Hdmi cable, Ethernet etc?

Although £30 may be worth it for the Windows 8 license, note that there is no media, and Windows 8 only exists on the Lenovo as a restore partition, so if you completely wipe the hard drive for something else, it's gone. Just worth noting.

As for what's in the box, Q190, wired keyboard, wired mouse, power brick and 3-pin plug, stand (if you want it vertical) and VESA mount (if you want it on the back of the TV) plus the usual paperwork). No ethernet nor HDMI.

I want to get a remote control for it as well, but am happily using the official XBMC Remote app on my phone at the moment (Windows Phone 8).

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - noggin - 2013-04-12

(2013-04-12, 10:24)JesusOnEez Wrote: Although £30 may be worth it for the Windows 8 license, note that there is no media, and Windows 8 only exists on the Lenovo as a restore partition, so if you completely wipe the hard drive for something else, it's gone. Just worth noting.
Doesn't Windows 8 offer a 'create backup discs' option - allowing you to create restore media yourself? Windows 7 offered this on my Dell laptop. You'd need an external optical drive for this I guess (don't think Windows offered the option of backup to USB Flash media when I did this)

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - Trooperlooper - 2013-04-12

(2013-04-12, 09:59)colonelblighty Wrote:
(2013-04-11, 23:47)Trooperlooper Wrote: I run a tv and projector off a single output from the box by using one of these

I've just realised that's 3 in one out so you use it the other way around? The one I have is 1in 2 out as I have the out from my amp going in the a feed to the pj and the tv.

This is the one I already have

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0042KY0GY/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah, I noticed I linked to the wrong item, this is what I have Smile
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-SPLITTER-Amplifier-Display-Shipping/dp/B001D9P1OW/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365755626&sr=1-3&keywords=neet+hdmi

My setup is HTPC, Sky box and BR player going into my amp, which handles the switching, and a single output from the amp going to the HDMI splitter which feeds both the PJ and TV.

(2013-04-12, 10:28)noggin Wrote:
(2013-04-12, 10:24)JesusOnEez Wrote: Although £30 may be worth it for the Windows 8 license, note that there is no media, and Windows 8 only exists on the Lenovo as a restore partition, so if you completely wipe the hard drive for something else, it's gone. Just worth noting.
Doesn't Windows 8 offer a 'create backup discs' option - allowing you to create restore media yourself? Windows 7 offered this on my Dell laptop. You'd need an external optical drive for this I guess (don't think Windows offered the option of backup to USB Flash media when I did this)

I assume so, but finding what corner of the OS they have hidden it would be the issue Wink

Here you go. I should probably do this, or at least clone my disk now I have it setup how I like.
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/create-a-recovery-drive-in-windows-8/7261

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - JesusOnEez - 2013-04-12

Yes, you're right, you can create your own with an optical drive.

(2013-04-12, 11:22)JesusOnEez Wrote:

Yes, you're right, you can create your own with an optical drive.

I'd have thought you can create a bootable USB too as you can with vista and 7. They key thing is for me even a windows 8 key for £30 is still a bargain.

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - mahockey - 2013-04-12

Lads,

I got the Q190 which comes with the Lenovo Keyboard Multimedia Remote N5902 but i dont like it.

So its brand new and up for sale if you want it €50 free shipping
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2-wSl6LR4M

Mods: hope its ok to put my offer on this thread?

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - abhigarg6 - 2013-04-13

Hello everyone,

I have also bought celeron model Q190. configured xbmc on windows 8 and everything is running pretty sweet. I have attached my computer creative speakers to Q190. How should I setup my audio settings in order to have sound coming from both hdmi (samsung plasma) and my speakers (3.5 mm jack computer speakers). I am able to get sound only from TV or speakers currently.

EDIT: Also I am not able to play any of HD content from my NAS. I am using wifi network and not hardwired. disabled DXVA and tried few settings still no improvements. my raspi was streaming all HD efficiently. is there any setting I can made otherwise it would be a total disappointment.

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - war6765 - 2013-04-13

just got mines in today. Installed xbmc on windows 8. Everthing works great. Now just looking for a program to change the shell from windows to xbmc to give it more of a media player feel. Has anyone tried installing an xbmc shell for the q190. I'm going to try "xbmclaucher", it looks pretty stable. Will let u know how it goes.

RE: Lenovo Q190 currently best value mini HTPC - Test results & 2 questions - syphermode - 2013-04-14

Ok Noob Question Got mine the other Day has the vesa mount but on my 55 samsung There is no where to mount it am i guessing that there will be a seperate plate to mount first? as i only have 4 large screws in the back? any help would be appreciated