Kodi Community Forum
Wrong channel mapping - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Wrong channel mapping (/showthread.php?tid=157867)

Pages: 1 2

Wrong channel mapping - Mercury_22 - 2013-02-28

XBMC has channels mapped wrong for AC3 5.1 see test file here http://www.tfm.ro/win32-projects/test-avi-ac3/ (the SURROUND channels are playing in FRONT speakers TOO ! )

Windows 7 x64, Realtek ALC889A, Realtek High Definition Audio Codecs R2.70 (6.0.1.6844), using DirectSound, 5.1 speakers

P.S. Even the WMP it's playing the test file correctly !

RE: Wrong channel mapping - DDDamian - 2013-03-02

Welcome to the forums. Sounds like a settings issue - check the sticky on Frodo audio troubleshooting at the top of the Windows support forums. They are indeed mapped correctly Wink

RE: Wrong channel mapping - Mercury_22 - 2013-03-02

(2013-03-02, 03:15)DDDamian Wrote: Welcome to the forums. Sounds like a settings issue - check the sticky on Frodo audio troubleshooting at the top of the Windows support forums. They are indeed mapped correctly Wink
That was the first thing I did !
Also like I've said since all other players on my system starting with WMP, WMC, VLC, MPC-HC / MPC-BE (WASAPI too), foobar2000 (WASAPI too), plus LAVFilters in all this players (except foobar2000,VLC of courseSmile) have no problem with channel mapping I don't think it's a settings issue

I've forgot to mention that WASPI in xbmc doesn't work at all ! again foobar2000 WASAPI, MPC-HC / MPC-BE WASAPI are working !

Nobody else can here the rear/side/surround channels playing in the front speakers TOO ?

P.S. Also it's not just an AC3 issue, it's the same with DTS -HD and maybe with other formats too but only those I've tested so far

RE: Wrong channel mapping - DDDamian - 2013-03-03

DirectSound can be intercepted/altered by external filters like LAV, so can't tell what's going on after we send the audio to DS.

WASAPI should work fine - pls post a proper Debug Log using WASAPI if you need help there.

RE: Wrong channel mapping - Mercury_22 - 2013-03-05

(2013-03-03, 22:11)DDDamian Wrote: DirectSound can be intercepted/altered by external filters like LAV, so can't tell what's going on after we send the audio to DS.

WASAPI should work fine - pls post a proper debug log using WASAPI if you need help there.

Here it is http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=2267

Also this is on a CLEAN "up to date" (including KB2670838) Windows 7 x64 install with nothing but XBMC and drivers (and the Prerequisites Smile)

EDIT: Had a small break through Smile if I set "Speaker Configuration" in XBMC to 2.0 then WASAPI it's working ( in a 2.0 configuration though) setting it back to 5.1 makes the sound disappear again in WASAPI mode

EDIT2: OK I need to make a correction to my previous EDIT: When I set "Speaker Configuration" in XBMC to 2.0 (Analog) then both WASAPI and DirectSound are playing in fact in a 3.1 configuration not in a 2.0 configuration as I previous thought (it was late, I was tired Smile )

P.S. If there's still any confusion, I'm talking here about the most common audio chain = on board sound Realtek ALC889A -> direct to 5.1 speakers

RE: Wrong channel mapping - Mercury_22 - 2013-03-06

After more testing with WASAPI things are getting even weirder :
with "Speaker Configuration" set to 5.1 I have sound BUT ONLY with any file or "Live TV" channel with stereo sound if the file or "Live TV" channel has 5.1 sound then there is NO sound !!!

RE: Wrong channel mapping - Mercury_22 - 2013-03-12

Looks like I'm not the only one with this problem see Linux: rear chnnels mixed to front for DTS and AC3

RE: Wrong channel mapping - bluray - 2013-03-12

I tried DD+ on my HTPC at the time I started using Frodo. DD+ on Frodo never work right on my HTPC. I noticed the mapping is off and selecting AC3 capable receiver had no sound too......I tried the Demos directly from Dolby Digital website too- Download Dolby Digital Plus Demos....

Since I hardly have anything in DD+ sound, I left AC3 receiver capability un-checked in Frodo audio output. I stopped looking into it because I didn't care for DD+....

As Mercury mentioned, DD+ on WMP matched my Audyssey too.....

RE: Wrong channel mapping - DDDamian - 2013-03-13

Code:
16:35:07 T:3856   ERROR: CAESinkWASAPI::InitializeExclusive: Unable to locate a supported output format for the device.  Check the speaker settings in the control panel.

The log shows your "Speakers" device is set for 7.1 - is this correct? You have 7.1 set in the Windows audio properties?

Also it seems to indicate you are trying to decode the AC3 file to 5.1 pcm - does the device support multichannel?

RE: Wrong channel mapping - Mercury_22 - 2013-03-13

(2013-03-13, 07:14)DDDamian Wrote:
Code:
16:35:07 T:3856   ERROR: CAESinkWASAPI::InitializeExclusive: Unable to locate a supported output format for the device.  Check the speaker settings in the control panel.

The log shows your "Speakers" device is set for 7.1 - is this correct? You have 7.1 set in the Windows audio properties?

Also it seems to indicate you are trying to decode the AC3 file to 5.1 pcm - does the device support multichannel?

I have 5.1 set in the Windows audio properties and yes the device does support multichannel!

AND YES I'M VERY SURE MY AUDIO CONFIGURATION IN WINDOWS IT"S CORRECT (and in XBMC) the best proof, since you still seem not to believe me, it's that like I've said ANY OTHER PLAYER (using DirectSound or WASAPI) it's playing correct the same test file (or any other file) without any changes to my configuration

I repeat : I'm using the most common audio chain for a PC = on board audio Realtek ALC889A,with Realtek High Definition Audio Codecs R2.70 (tested all R2.70 driver versions up to 6.0.1.6844 )direct to -> 5.1 speakers NO passthrough, NO AVR, NO TV(for sound Smile) , NO HDMI, NO SPDIF

P.S. I've just tested now with 7.1 configuration in windows and xbmc and surprise surprise I have sound for files with more than 2 channels (stereo) with WASAPI too BUT !! the channel mapping it's a total mess
If you need me to post logs with other speakers configurations 2.0, 7.1 (DS / WASAPI) let me know Smile

And the breaking news is ........................I just tested XBMC 11 (after removing XBMC 12) and it's working CORRECTLY !!! on the same system with the same configuration with the same everything !!!!!!!!!

IN BOTH DIRECTSOUND AND WASAPI

Anyone else seeing this?

RE: Wrong channel mapping - bluray - 2013-03-13

(2013-03-13, 13:11)Mercury_22 Wrote: And the breaking news is ........................I just tested XBMC 11 (after removing XBMC 12) and it's working CORRECTLY !!! on the same system with the same configuration with the same everything !!!!!!!!!

IN BOTH DIRECTSOUND AND WASAPI
It's not new.......I tested it when I first used Eden, and it worked fine on my HTPC too.....

(2013-03-13, 18:11)DDDamian Wrote: Anyone else seeing this?
I doubt that other users are paying very close attention to detail as us.....if they don't test their surround sound sytem and listen to it carefully, they'll never notice anything wrong with it......

(2013-03-13, 18:54)bluray Wrote: I doubt that other users are paying very close attention to detail as us.....if they don't test their surround sound sytem and listen to it carefully, they'll never notice anything wrong with it......

I've tested several 7.1 files specifically for channel layouts - some video-based (using DVDPlayer) and some pure audio (PAPlayer), some off the net and some homemade with Audacity - they all map correctly. I've seen this issue on Linux where people have custom maps, but not on Windows...

(2013-03-13, 19:39)DDDamian Wrote:
(2013-03-13, 18:54)bluray Wrote: I doubt that other users are paying very close attention to detail as us.....if they don't test their surround sound sytem and listen to it carefully, they'll never notice anything wrong with it......

I've tested several 7.1 files specifically for channel layouts - some video-based (using DVDPlayer) and some pure audio (PAPlayer), some off the net and some homemade with Audacity - they all map correctly. I've seen this issue on Linux where people have custom maps, but not on Windows...

Did you test with a 5.1 file e.g. the one from my link from the first post ?
And did you test with a sound card -> direct to speakers chain ?