Kodi Community Forum
OSX 10.5.8 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: OSX 10.5.8 (/showthread.php?tid=159657)

Pages: 1 2

OSX 10.5.8 - ElmoSuper8 - 2013-03-19

Hi, I'm on an older mac, it is an INTEL, but the highest operating system I can get is OSX 10.5.8.

The XBMC software requires OSX 10.6, so my question is can you please please make a version for those of us who are unfortunate enough to be running OSX 10.5.8 ?

Thanks,

Wishin' and a hopin' Smile

RE: OSX 10.5.8 - Ned Scott - 2013-03-19

no

RE: OSX 10.5.8 - ElmoSuper8 - 2013-03-19

Why not?

RE: OSX 10.5.8 - bluesky2006 - 2013-03-19

(2013-03-19, 00:19)ElmoSuper8 Wrote: can you please please make a version for those of us who are unfortunate enough to be running OSX 10.5.8 ?

Hahaha, amazing request!

RE: OSX 10.5.8 - ElmoSuper8 - 2013-03-19

Why is it amazing? Did it blow your mind in some way?

Plenty of current software is still made for that operating system alongside the most recent operating system.

RE: OSX 10.5.8 - DDDamian - 2013-03-19

Hmph - not a great welcome to the forums (welcome btw). Think you got some short answers just because it would be a lot of regressive work in a (mostly) progressive field.

There's a ton of low-cost devices / platforms out there that run XBMC - the hours that it would take fulfilling your request are many - the hours to earn a couple of bucks and buy something more recent are few.

RE: OSX 10.5.8 - Ned Scott - 2013-03-19

Sorry for my abruptness :) Sometimes I forget what it's like being a new user and not knowing the backstory on these things.

Basically, it was a big decision to move to the 10.6 SDK, and a lot of work was involved, too. Not only does XBMC now require many things that are only in the 10.6 SDK, but a lot more things have been changed to correctly work with that SDK.

Is it physically possible to do? Sure. It's just a really big task, and I really doubt any of our OS X devs would do it. If they were up to the task, then we'd probably still be supporting the 10.4 SDK.

The best thing to do in this case is to take Linux for a spin. I have a few Apple TV 1s, and these first gen ATVs run a modified OS X 10.4. However, they now run linux on them, and not only does linux typically run better on older hardware like this, but it allows them to use XBMC v12.

I'd go and try out OpenELEC (wiki) and put it on a USB stick. That way your internal OS install isn't touched, and you can test drive it to see if it allows Linux/v12 on Mac Mini to fit your needs.

RE: OSX 10.5.8 - RipT - 2013-03-21

Or download version 11 (Eden). I have it up and running on an old PowerPC PowerBook running 10.5.8. It should run great on an intel. I Also have Frodo (v12) on some newer macs. Frodo is nicer in some ways, but Eden compares favorably and is almost as good unless you're dying for some Frodo only feature. A download link for Eden is http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/osx/xbmc-11.0.dmg.

RE: OSX 10.5.8 - ElmoSuper8 - 2013-03-21

Thanks for your replies DDDamian, Ned Scott, and RipT, some really helpful information - I will have to look into all of the above.

In the meantime I have installed XBMC onto my dad's Macbook Pro and I'm very impressed, the interface is extremely slick :-)

RE: OSX 10.5.8 - ElmoSuper8 - 2013-03-21

Thanks for your advice RipT, I downloaded Eden and its working great!

RE: OSX 10.5.8 - schneidz - 2013-03-21

(2013-03-19, 00:19)ElmoSuper8 Wrote: Hi, I'm on an older mac, it is an INTEL, but the highest operating system I can get is OSX 10.5.8.

The XBMC software requires OSX 10.6, so my question is can you please please make a version for those of us who are unfortunate enough to be running OSX 10.5.8 ?

Thanks,

Wishin' and a hopin' Smile

since its an intel based mac it should be able to install the new version of mac... other than the price of the cd, any reason why you cant install the new mac-os on it ?

RE: OSX 10.5.8 - Soli - 2013-03-23

All the Intel Macs are upgradeable to at least 10.6.8.

RE: OSX 10.5.8 - schneidz - 2013-03-24

also, i got xbmc 12 live-usb running on a acer revo so i'm sure the mac is more than capable of running the latest version.

have you thougt about running live or linux ?

RE: OSX 10.5.8 - ElmoSuper8 - 2013-03-24

Hi, I already fixed it by installing XBMC version 11 (Eden), works great.

I had a MAC OSX install disc a while ago, i think it was 10.6, it was from our Imac, but when I tried to install it on my macbook pro (from 2006) it said that it couldnt be installed on that hardware. I also remember reading somewhere around that time that the particular architecture of my macbookpro couldnt support an operating system higher than 10.5.8. This could very well be false, but at the time I just left it and moved on. It could be the case that the OSX 10.6 I was trying to install wouldnt install because it was designed only for an imac, however I have installed Imac software on other types of macs before. I'll look into it further and post back.

Thanks for all the responses to my original post. XBMC is pretty amazing.

Cheers.

RE: OSX 10.5.8 - schneidz - 2013-03-24

(2013-03-24, 17:23)ElmoSuper8 Wrote: Hi, I already fixed it by installing XBMC version 11 (Eden), works great.

I had a MAC OSX install disc a while ago, i think it was 10.6, it was from our Imac, but when I tried to install it on my macbook pro (from 2006) it said that it couldnt be installed on that hardware. I also remember reading somewhere around that time that the particular architecture of my macbookpro couldnt support an operating system higher than 10.5.8. This could very well be false, but at the time I just left it and moved on. It could be the case that the OSX 10.6 I was trying to install wouldnt install because it was designed only for an imac, however I have installed Imac software on other types of macs before. I'll look into it further and post back.

Thanks for all the responses to my original post. XBMC is pretty amazing.

Cheers.
hmm, in case that your pc is actually an ibm powerpc based mac then that mite be the case. just for shiggles, can you please post the output of this command:
Code:
uname -a -m -p
unless apple is doing something shady, like preventing the install of a legally licensed cd-rom simply becuz they want you to spend more money on their new hardware (kinda' like how they prevent installation of mac on something like an hp/acer/lenovo/... eventhough they also have intel based cpu's but you can install linux or windows on a mac).

i think the easiest (cheapest ?) solution would be to run xbmcbuntu live-usb (not sure how to get a mac to boot from the usb drive but if its anything like a normal pc you would have to toggle bios settings).