Kodi Community Forum
Shared fanart/thumbnails and database/library - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Raspberry Pi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=166)
+---- Thread: Shared fanart/thumbnails and database/library (/showthread.php?tid=163472)

Shared fanart/thumbnails and database/library - ccfc1986 - 2013-04-27

I have previously only ever had one XBMC machine in my living room. I have recently bought a new Raspberry Pi and installed Raspbmc on it. Because of this, i have installed MySQL on my media server (where all of my media - tv, movies, music is stored) and configured that as my central library. I know that is working as any updates to the library cause new entries in the tables etc. I setup my Pi to use basically the same configuration for the MySQL and that also works - on boot up i see the library identical to my main XBMC system. I am now having an issue on my Pi where the fanart is not downloading. I followed the below link to configure it, making a share on my media server, performing a library discovery and the files/jpgs etc were all downloaded to that share.

XBMC - Thumbnail Share Configuration

When i log into my Pi, the fanart isn't there, except for a couple of media items i have manually set it. When i go to the show, press 'c' and go to 'TV Show Information' and click 'Choose Art' i can see a number of options available to me. I noticed i have items in my Thumbnails directory locally, but not many items. I would think with the following advancedsettings.xml configuration, it would look to the remote system for any fan art, download from there and keep a local copy? What am i doing wrong here?

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>192.168.1.6</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>
    </videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>192.168.1.6</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>
    </musicdatabase>

<videolibrary>
          <importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
     </videolibrary>
<pathsubstitution>
    <substitute>
        <from>special://master user/Thumbnails/Video</from>
        <to>smb://user:[email protected]/XBMCThumbnails/Video</to>
    </substitute>
</pathsubstitution>
  <useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>

user/password were substituted for the real information to protect my passwords Wink

Any thoughts on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again ALL!

*EDIT*

When i go to a show and try to select a new poster image, i see an item 'Current Art', then a number of 'Remote Art' items. The path in the top right shows thumb://Remote1 for example. Hope this helps.

RE: Shared fanart/thumbnails and database/library - Milhouse - 2013-04-27

You've path substituted just the Thumbnails/Video folder - that's not where your movie/tvshow fanart & posters go, they go into folders called Thumbnails/0, Thumbanils/1, ... Thumbnails/f. I think the Thumbnails/Video folder might be used for music videos, but it's certainly not used by movies and tvshows (or even music for that matter).

So your path substitution needs to be:
Code:
<pathsubstitution>
    <substitute>
        <from>special://master user/Thumbnails</from>
        <to>smb://user:[email protected]/XBMCThumbnails</to>
    </substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

Although to be honest I wouldn't recommend using path substitution to share the Thumbnails folder between a Pi and HTPC unless you are using identical fanartres/imageres settings.

RE: Shared fanart/thumbnails and database/library - Ned Scott - 2013-04-28

Actually, he does just need the videos sub-folder (as of Frodo). I think the issue here is that there isn't a final / at the end.

RE: Shared fanart/thumbnails and database/library - Milhouse - 2013-04-28

The Videos sub-folder is empty on my Frodo installations (save for a Bookmarks folder). All the movie/tvshow fanart & posters are in the folders as I previously described.

RE: Shared fanart/thumbnails and database/library - Ned Scott - 2013-04-28

Maybe I have it mixed up, then. Was it just used pre-Frodo? It must be.

RE: Shared fanart/thumbnails and database/library - Milhouse - 2013-04-28

I've only ever run Dharma and Frodo installations, and never seen any artwork cached to the Videos folder, so it's possible it is an Eden-only "thing", or is for music videos (which I don't have on my systems). Either way, that path substitution wiki page is now inaccurate with respect to Frodo.