Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC OEM+ [Simerec / IR-RC6 internal mod] + Light Dims! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC OEM+ [Simerec / IR-RC6 internal mod] + Light Dims! (/showthread.php?tid=166886)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Intel NUC OEM+ [Simerec / IR-RC6 internal mod] + Light Dims! - jammyb - 2013-06-10

Look at this on eBay:

INTEL NUC DCCP847DYE HTPC SSD RAM WIFI BLUETOOTH REMOTE RC6 IR SIMEREC XBMC

http://bit.ly/1e34hv5

**** SEE PAGE THREE FOR PICS OF LIGHTDIMS FITTED *****

Hi!

Been meaning to do this thread. But problem is, my board is still with Intel! [was missing the internal USB header pins as its a gen1 board, waiting on replacement]

But I have started.

Here's my kit

mk1 Celeron NUC
4GB ram
32GB msata SSD Crucial M4
Simerec.com - PCS-1

What you can't see in the pic [forgot to show it] is my RC6 dongle. It's from this one -

http://www.maplin.co.uk/windows-media-centre-remote-control-218643

I don't use the remote. I use a harmony 300.

Casing removed -

USB plug desoldered, removed and an internal USB lead soldered in place -

And erm, that's where I'm at! Once the board has returned. Then I can start making holes in the metal casing for the 2 IR receivers. [one for the RC6 dongle and the other for simerec.com]

RE: Keeping the NUC OEM+ - Dougie Fresh - 2013-06-10

I've done something similar with that dongle, breaking the case open to make it an internal IR receiver. Instead of removing the USB and soldering a header lead on I use one of these adapters:

RE: Keeping the NUC OEM+ - jammyb - 2013-06-10

Haha. That's the exact lead I used! Just cut the plug off! It's too bulky and trying to minimise space wastage inside the NUC Smile

RE: Keeping the NUC OEM+ - Dougie Fresh - 2013-06-10

(2013-06-10, 22:01)jammyb Wrote: Haha. That's the exact lead I used! Just cut the plug off! It's too bulky and trying to minimise space wastage inside the NUC Smile

Yeah, I was thinking it looked like it and there'd be nowhere to fit it in the NUC. It's a cleaner solution too. Nicely done.

RE: Keeping the NUC OEM+ - jammyb - 2013-06-19

Well it's back!

Finally get cracking!

Sent me a whole retail replacement!

Least if I cock up the casing. I get a second attempt ha!!

RE: Keeping the NUC OEM+ - jammyb - 2013-06-21

Layout decided....

2 holes to let the IR's through and should be pretty much same height to the USB port ANNND look sorta equidistant/central to the outside!

Gonna use sugru to hold it all internally. www.sugru.com

This'll be wrapped up Sunday!

RE: Keeping the NUC OEM+ - jammyb - 2013-06-23

So.

Started off with marking the internal chassis for where the IR eyes would poke through. Did this and then drilled the external casing to match.

Upon doing this. I realised that the eyes wouldn't reach through, so using the Dremel I cut more of the internal chassis away and then by dog-legging the eye on the simerec i could then stick simerec onto the inner chassis and it would poke through!

Also had to the metal fold on the base as this would be in the way of the IR's.

Using sugru, I could hold both the IR's in place and also insulate the PCBs from each other.

So in 24 hours time. I'll hopefully have a finished product!

Then can actually power the thing up and start using it!

RE: Keeping the NUC OEM+ - jammyb - 2013-06-24

Sugru set!

Connected up the simerec to the pins and set it up to my remote.

Closed casing and installed openELEC!

Really happy with finished article! Silent and the IR range on both is perfect!

Just gotta get my library details from current device sent over to the new one to save on scrapage time!

Hope people like what I've done! I'm chuffed its come out so well!

RE: Keeping the NUC OEM+ - navigates - 2013-06-24

I was planning this route as well, however went with the bluetooth intel version of the ps3blumote. Range is better than awesome and once the remote syncs, the hibernate and rewake up is instant. rather unnoticeable. Above all, no drilling etc. keeping the fair value of the product. I've used a bluetooth keyboard of lenovo with the touchpad and the ps3 remote with win7

RE: Keeping the NUC OEM+ - Ned Scott - 2013-06-25

Very nice!

Keeping the NUC OEM+ - BORIStheBLADE - 2013-06-25

Nice job looks good.

RE: Keeping the NUC OEM+ - Bocky - 2013-07-30

jammyb what is the purpose of having both IR receivers?
Would you mind explaining what the simerec / RC6 dongle both do? Is one purely in charge of powering on the NUC?

RE: Keeping the NUC OEM+ - jammyb - 2013-07-30

Simerec is purely for switching on and off via remote. No sleep/hibernate bullshit.

The RC6 Windows media center IR receiver is to control XBMC. Up, down, left, right, play, pause etc etc.

Needs 2 as there isn't one that can do both! But apparently simerec are making one.

RE: Keeping the NUC OEM+ - Bocky - 2013-07-30

(2013-07-30, 11:07)jammyb Wrote: Simerec is purely for switching on and off via remote. No sleep/hibernate bullshit.

The RC6 Windows media center IR receiver is to control XBMC. Up, down, left, right, play, pause etc etc.
Ah excellent, great thanks for clearing that up!

(2013-07-30, 11:07)jammyb Wrote: Needs 2 as there isn't one that can do both! But apparently simerec are making one.
Good to hear, I might even wait for that to come out

Thanks again for that mate

RE: Keeping the NUC OEM+ - aesalazar - 2013-07-31

Looks really good. Is that a PCS-1 or PCS-2? For power, I cant tell from the pics but I assume you were able to plug into the board's front panel connector bank +5V and ground?

Thanks
Ernie