Kodi Community Forum
Support Thread for libstagefright - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Support Thread for libstagefright (/showthread.php?tid=168268)

Re: RE: Support Thread for libstagefright - Koying - 2014-05-02

(2014-05-01, 20:15)SaEt9000 Wrote: 20:05:26 T:1742325616 ERROR: CStageFrightVideo - decoding error (-110)
This says that the h/w decoder of your device has a problem decoding this file.
Nothing we can do on xbmc side.

RE: Support Thread for libstagefright - SaEt9000 - 2014-05-02

Thank your for your answer again...

The device I use is a himedia Q10 with hisilikon cortex A-9 and Mali 400.
The internal himedia-Videoplayer app plays all these videos without any problems. And I'm sure that is also hw-acceleration.
I can see some optical differences between both players - I have the impression that the himediaVideoplayer app is better able to play f.i. 1080i-Video then the xbmc-player. The picture is "smoother" :-)

So - it seems that there where differences. How can I explane it for myself? Is it so, that the hw-acceleration works for my player because it it is compatible to generell hw-acceleration from an other chipset-type but not special for hisilikon cortex A9?
Is there a chance for the future that the HW-acceleration will still become better because of possible FW-improvements of my device or of HW-acceleration-routines ?

As I understood - you are getting the HW-acceleration routines / files from the vendors? Is it right?

SaEt9000

RE: Support Thread for libstagefright - JimK - 2014-05-02

Hello, it would be real nice if XBMC had an option or advance settings rule that we could change libstagefright to H/W decoding from H/W+ decoding. It appears StageFright uses H/W+ decoding and some videos stop playing at the 10 minute next chapter mark while the audio continues to play. I downloaded the video and using mxplayer H/W+ decoding the same video would stop playing at the same 10 minute next chapter mark but when using mxplayer H/W decoding or other h/w players the same video plays fine.

ERROR: CStageFrightVideo - decoding error (1)
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=163672

What are the differences between H/W and H/W+?

H/W decoder plays video(s) using stock media framework whereas H/W+ decoder plays video using MX Player's own media framework. In general, H/W+ decoder can play more videos than H/W decoder. However, some devices may not support H/W+ yet and some videos may not be played properly.

MediaInfo
http://pastebin.com/76hMTNqP

I have 60 second 8Mb video sample available upon request

RE: Support Thread for libstagefright - tashkas - 2014-05-03

when live tv will support deinterlace? becouse now it dont effect when you turn on or off, it shows interlaced stream.

RE: Support Thread for libstagefright - Koying - 2014-05-03

It's exactly the contrary.
MX player "H/W" is their internal framework, and "H/W+" uses the standard MediaCodec interface.

RE: Support Thread for libstagefright - Mateo81 - 2014-05-03

(2014-05-03, 09:39)Koying Wrote: It's exactly the contrary.
MX player "H/W" is their internal framework, and "H/W+" uses the standard MediaCodec interface.
Thanks for clarify this. But that´s mean that the "internal framework hardware acceleration into MX Player" can work succesfully with almost all video contents HD or SD quality, but MediaCodec Hardware Acceleration not; and LibStageFright is even less compatible and more conflictive. So in the case of Minix Neo X7 (RockChip RK3188) do you think It would have hopes to can make work these two Hardware Acceleration features with the upcoming final XBMC Gotham release? Is it XBMC team working on this incompatibility with RK3188 (my specific case is Minix Neo X7) to be implemented on the final version? . Still in the latest Gotham RC1 nightly build from 02/may/ (as well in any previous XBMC version) this is not working yet with any of the official Firmware from Minix neither as well on a custom 4.4.2. kitkat rom on the Neo X7. Only resource now is disable all hardware acceleration in XBMC and only use Software Acceleration option with the subsequent loss of performance; or configure MX Player as external player and use only H/W acceleration, but this is a less desirable option in my opinion. It will be nice and very convenient to have MediaCoded & LibStageFright working properly all the times into XBMC on the upcoming final Gotham version. Thanks in advance Koying for your time.

RE: Support Thread for libstagefright - davilla - 2014-05-04

The internal framework hardware acceleration of MX Player is private source code. Not available for us to look at.

RE: Support Thread for libstagefright - Mateo81 - 2014-05-04

(2014-05-04, 02:42)davilla Wrote: The internal framework hardware acceleration of MX Player is private source code. Not available for us to look at.
Thank you Sir for the answer; but in fact the question was that if the two open source codes already implemented in Gotham versions LibStageFright & MediaCodec can be improved to solve the incompatibilities shown so far prior the final Gotham be released, because even in the last Gotham RC versions still the problem remains?. This will be of big help to improve the over all media content playback performance on XBMC on RockChip RK3188 devices, specifically in the case of Minix Neo X7, to avoid the need to use MX Player as external player with the H/W internal framework acceleration, which you have explained is a private source code that for the nature of XBMC, legally could not be implemented or embedded into the software.

RE: Support Thread for libstagefright - davilla - 2014-05-04

Can LibStageFright & MediaCodec be improved ? Sure, over time, issues will get resolved and fixed. That's the development process.

As it stands, MediaCodec is written, as recommended, according to the API that Google supplies. On most devices, it works quite fine. There are a few devices that have issues and some like RockChip and AMLogic, wait for the firmware devs to fix their broken devices. For devices with broken firmware, there is nothing we can do. Please complain to the firmware devs of these devices.

MX Player has existed for years and most likely has numerous quirks and work arounds for dealign with broken firmware. Please stop comparing a closed source player with the open source XBMC. They have several years head start and as they don't share their fixes, we have zero clue what they are doing. If MX Player fits your needs better, use it.

EDIT: This has nothing to do with legality, the MX Player is not public. That means there is no source code for it that we could examine and use to resolve issues. Their source code is private and they do not share it.

RE: Support Thread for libstagefright - Mateo81 - 2014-05-04

Thanks davilla. Received & understood your answer; there is not complains or criticism against XBMC from my side, it´s an excellent open source media player and still in early stage of development; just want it to now the root of the problems with these chinese SoC and your answer it´s more than contundent, those devices and their firmwares are working out of Google API compliance. Thanks. Seeing now that final Gotham was released today, but Android version is disabled.

RE: Support Thread for libstagefright - tashkas - 2014-05-04

can somebody fix deinterlace on xbmc pvr live tv, here is captured with deinterlace on, but there is no effect using android, missing filters or something, ignore low fps on capture.

https://mega.co.nz/#!p0gxzIZS!FWHifw86xRQRqCZG7KnKh5R2oZ_CjFc5c7id3tKpZaU

RE: Support Thread for libstagefright - tashkas - 2014-05-06

Merge pull request #4647 from FernetMenta/vdpau2
VDPAU: fix cropping for interlaced frames
can you guys make this one on android too

RE: Support Thread for libstagefright - davilla - 2014-05-06

(2014-05-06, 12:19)tashkas Wrote: Merge pull request #4647 from FernetMenta/vdpau2
VDPAU: fix cropping for interlaced frames
can you guys make this one on android too

useless Smile VDPAU does not exist on Android.

RE: Support Thread for libstagefright - sheepybach - 2014-05-06

Mateo81,
Am I reading your posts correct that you are saying that your minix neo X7 and Gotham h/w accel module libsf and medaicodec are giving you problems on hd content playbackHuh

RE: Support Thread for libstagefright - Mateo81 - 2014-05-06

(2014-05-06, 19:34)sheepybach Wrote: Mateo81,
Am I reading your posts correct that you are saying that your minix neo X7 and Gotham h/w accel module libsf and medaicodec are giving you problems on hd content playbackHuh

Yes, It´s exactly that on my Minix Neo X7 (I have two units of X7) one unit with latest stock firmware 4.2.2 JB OS and other unit with a 4.4.2 KK OS custom rom; currently I´m running the final Gotham, re-loaded as 05 May 2014 after the initial problem of the first android version on 04 May. I have to disable both HW acceleration features, LibStageFright & MediaCodec to can play HD content; I had tested with one or another or both at same time, no matter all the times produce the same problem; the video stops commonly at 10 min playing track mark, while the audio continue. So, my setup to avoid this repetitive problem is work only with Software acceleration.

This final Gotham version 05/May acts very similar in my case like the first RC nightly build from 19/apr (xbmc-20140419-51d4cbd-Gotham-armeabi-v7a) where at least the HD video can start with video and audio, but stops at 10 minutes; but with Software acceleration works.
The other two RC nightlies builds from 27/ Apr and 02/ May (xbmc-20140427-2372235-Gotham-armeabi-v7a & xbmc-20140502-91880f1-Gotham-armeabi-v7a) the problem is worse, the same HD videos even doesn´t start to play; but as well with Software acceleration works.

At home, We require for the family to use "subtitles" and working with XBMC without external player it´s a must for the efficient & more complete access to subtitles' repositories/collections, and easy way to locate subtitles through different subtitles addons into XBMC, so given that hardware acceleration is not working or compatible into XBMC at the moment on Minix Neo X7 conflicting with the HD content, I have to use only Sofware Acceleration Feature, with the subsequent loss of performance or without very smooth playback that can be reached when hardware acceleration can work. That´s the case, since the history started with the "XMBC Minix edition - Frodo based" (this version only contain one HW accel feature, "LibStageFright") on Jelly bean 4.2.2 OS to now on KitKat 4.4.2 OS. This is not a complain, please do not get me wrong, it´s point out the problem, leaving over the table what is the current limitation on Minix Neo X7 or may be many RockChip RK3188 - GPU Mali 400 based TV boxes or TV sticks with the current status of XBMC.

EDIT: Unfortunately, I have to add that testing more HD content video I had found last days after updated to last Gotham final a couple of stuff that even does not support the "Software Acceleration, Mult-ithread video decoding", so to can play it I have to disable as well Software Accel, not any single video acceleration module must be enabled; this is the most extreme case that I had found. But when all video accel features are disabled the video/movie counter do not progress, stays in 00:00:00 but the video/audio content plays fine.