Kodi Community Forum
Linux Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Linux Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) (/showthread.php?tid=174854)

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - Mysqo - 2014-01-02

Thanks for a grate work here.
No problems here.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - rickygina - 2014-01-03

I have this installed now, and fully working with no problems.

Now, What I would like to do is have this setup in the same way as how xbmcbuntu is setup, auto booting xbmc and the ability to exit xbmc and log in to ubuntu desktop and ofcourse exitting ubuntu desktop and be able to log in to xbmc.

I have search around and have tried installing a desktop after completing this tut several times but it doesn't work very well.

I have been told to do this and that but it hasn't worked for me.

Does anyone have a solid way or better yet know of a tutorial to achieve what I am trying to do?

Thank you.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - shabba - 2014-01-03

Firstly appreciate all the efforts here. My 5450 is running nicely (except the first second of some videos where audio is distorted but does not bother me too much - I will gladly dig if anyone is interested).

Based on this I was going to build a second box and have done a complete u-turn on AMD. Could anyone recommend a good mini-itx combo?
I am concerned the general forums are not aware of this work and would recommend accordingly.

Thanks and sorry if that is OT for here.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - VanillaXtract - 2014-01-03

(2014-01-03, 16:23)rickygina Wrote: I have this installed now, and fully working with no problems.

Now, What I would like to do is have this setup in the same way as how xbmcbuntu is setup, auto booting xbmc and the ability to exit xbmc and log in to ubuntu desktop and ofcourse exitting ubuntu desktop and be able to log in to xbmc.

I have search around and have tried installing a desktop after completing this tut several times but it doesn't work very well.

I have been told to do this and that but it hasn't worked for me.

Does anyone have a solid way or better yet know of a tutorial to achieve what I am trying to do?

Thank you.
If you want a desktop then just install xbmcbuntu then start from 1.) in the first post.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - locomot1f - 2014-01-04

@rickygina --- bad idea as i don't believe that xbmcbuntu is 64-bit.

i think if you read this thread... do a search for xbmcbuntu, you'll find your answer.
i do know that if you install a full blown OS, you won't find much love for support in this thread, as the directions are very specific.

it's been said that v-sync doesn't play well with Compiz

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - VanillaXtract - 2014-01-04

@Loco I forgot about the x64 piece.

You could search for xbmcfreak, which is x64.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - wsnipex - 2014-01-04

don't! There is no saucy based xbmcbuntu and this howto NEEDS saucy.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - VanillaXtract - 2014-01-04

Can't he just do-release-upgrade?

Sv: RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - Mysqo - 2014-01-04

(2014-01-04, 17:05)VanillaXtract Wrote: Can't he just do-release-upgrade?

I think you need to do a new fresh install, upgrade the system might work but it's a lot of work and might not work properly anyway...

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - fritsch - 2014-01-04

Pulseaudio sink will be ready in a few days - then it won't matter anymore what you use. Despite: don't use compiz / mutter / kwin and complain later.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - pyrodex - 2014-01-04

@fritsch could you update the guide to change the startup script? I found that if you don't include a netdevice waiting it will cause issues with mysql databases. This won't affect normal installs but people who could move to a more complex setup down the road it could cause issues. I think this is a great guide and will be used for some time down the road.

Code:
# xbmc-upstart
# starts XBMC on startup by using xinit.
# by default runs as xbmc, to change edit below.
env USER=xbmc

description     "XBMC-barebones-upstart-script"
author          "Matt Filetto"

start on (filesystem and stopped udevtrigger and net-device-up IFACE!=lo)
stop on runlevel [016]

# tell upstart to respawn the process if abnormal exit
respawn
respawn limit 10 5
limit nice 21 21

script
exec su -c "xinit /usr/bin/xbmc --standalone :0" $USER
# the following two are to get an idea, if you want to user a window manager
#   exec su -c "xinit /usr/bin/fluxbox :0" $USER
end script

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - fritsch - 2014-01-04

No. mysql is not in the default installation, perhaps some people run without a network card at all.

Edit: I added it as comment, cause today is Saturday - your luck :-)

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - pyrodex - 2014-01-04

Thanks!

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - jaapp - 2014-01-05

I have a central MySQL database set up. In my experience XBMC wil wait quite some time for the database to come up, so the net-device-up addition isn't really a necessity.

Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - pyrodex - 2014-01-05

(2014-01-05, 02:12)jaapp Wrote: I have a central MySQL database set up. In my experience XBMC wil wait quite some time for the database to come up, so the net-device-up addition isn't really a necessity.

My experience was a dual issue. The samba share for my files and MySQL were offline until I added this entry.