Kodi Community Forum
Linux Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Linux Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) (/showthread.php?tid=174854)

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - fritsch - 2014-02-13

I think I have to say something quite clearly.

This howto is provide as is. If someone uses a Full Blown Desktop and complains that it does not work - I don't care at all. I am not a hotline to fix everybody's PC that thought to know it better and now gets stuck. So follow the howto, get support - don't follow ask somewhere else.

For all those, that have absolutely no clue on howto edit a file and save that successfully. This is not the howto you want to use. Use OpenELEC from snapshots.openelec.tv.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - deadite66 - 2014-02-13

this looks interesting, will it be useful for us?

Code:
[PATCH 1/2] vl: add motion adaptive deinterlacer
Date: Thursday 13 Feb 2014 20:32:29
To: [email protected]
Groups: gmane.comp.video.mesa3d.devel

Code:
 src/gallium/auxiliary/Makefile.sources     |   3 +-
 src/gallium/auxiliary/vl/vl_deint_filter.c | 491 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 src/gallium/auxiliary/vl/vl_deint_filter.h |  78 +++++

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - fritsch - 2014-02-13

We have it :-) since more than 3 months.

Wsnipex has added it since the very first day zgreg had it ready - he just needed a bit longer to actually PR it.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - deadite66 - 2014-02-13

nice.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - wsnipex - 2014-02-14

Quote:I assume I can live with those skips-on-heavy-io but would be interested in why the system does not priorities xbmc instead of some random Io generating subprocess?

did you tell it to?

AW: RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - Jan0sh - 2014-02-14

(2014-02-14, 00:18)wsnipex Wrote: did you tell it to?

I (thought) it would be done through limits.conf. I did now play a little with ionice and iotop.

My usecases for (heavy) io are mostly unpacking rar archives. I tried to get xbmc to skipping audio again by this usecase. It did not work.
Granting xbmc realtime io-priorities still results in those hangs, but they seem less long/frequent.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - peachman - 2014-02-14

After fresh install, no pvr addon in xbmc.
What is problem?
I used tvheadend addon in xvba version.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - samsonluk - 2014-02-14

(2014-02-13, 18:13)samsonluk Wrote: I just follow the howto in the first post to install xmbc in my dell laptop, the only different with the howto is that I install the desktop distribution of Ubuntu 13 instead of using the mini.iso (because the mini.iso fail to detect the network card and cannot complete the install). After finished every step in the howto and reboot, I see a corrupted screen at first and a blank screen follow. I restart the system again and the gnome gui console show up as usual and I found xmbc process in the "ps ax" list but no xmbc main screen show up anywhere. Any hints?

(2014-02-13, 18:17)fritsch Wrote: You cannot use the upstart script _and_ a desktop login manager.

Btw. I find it funny, if you follow an exact howto to build a house and exchange the basement from cement to sand :-)

I really don't want to exchange the basement, problem is that the mini.iso failed to install. Your advice on how to fix this will be much appreciated. Can I simply disable the login manager (how) or re install with the server distribution (I know this one won't bring up login manager but I am afraid X is not available as well..). Please note that I have to pick a full install package but not the mini.iso because the mini.iso failed in the detect network hardware phase, probably due to unable to detect the embedded network card of the laptop. Many thanks for your advice in advanced.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - fritsch - 2014-02-14

Okay, that's a reason. Sorry for being harsh.

Use Xubuntu Saucy 64 bit, install it (for ease of use call the user also xbmc), update it completely (sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade) and afterwards do:

# kernel update
Code:
mkdir ~/kernel
cd ~/kernel
wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.13.2-trusty/linux-headers-3.13.2-031302-generic_3.13.2-031302.201402061638_amd64.deb http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.13.2-trusty/linux-headers-3.13.2-031302_3.13.2-031302.201402061638_all.deb http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.13.2-trusty/linux-image-3.13.2-031302-generic_3.13.2-031302.201402061638_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i *3.13.2*deb

# mesa update
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/mesa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install libg3dvl-mesa vdpauinfo linux-firmware

#xbmc installation

Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-fernetmenta-master
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin

Then do the xbmc config settings, that are required in point 4 of the howto. Also add the /etc/security/limits.conf changes. That's it for the first part. We ommit the upstart and the other things. Then report back on how this is working.

Start xbmc manuall for these first tests. Login and just run xbmc --standalone from a shell and do the rest of the internal xbmc settings.

Edit:
- Get me a Debug Log with the clannad sample from the posts before
- Prepare /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc-xrandr | pastebinit (you can just run it from a shell)
- Prepare the other logfiles
- Are you in need of doing Bitstream Audio passthrough?

If all this is succesfully working, we will change xubuntu to also automatically start xbmc and so on.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - Jarlakxen - 2014-02-15

(2014-02-04, 00:51)Jarlakxen Wrote:
(2014-02-02, 09:28)fritsch Wrote: @Jarlakxen: You did at least not follow the howto concerning your username. Did you set all permissions correctly?

I see lots of unplayable items in your home directory. Even the mp4 file that gets "half" opened, does not want to open vdpau at all.

Yes, i have another user but i executed the command "sudo usermod -a -G cdrom,audio,video,plugdev,users,dialout,dip mcenter". I saw the messages of the unplayable items in the logs but the videos are fine, i can play it with VLC. Is there any way to know of why XBMC tells that the videos are unplayable?

I am still having problems trying to play some videos, it looks like there is an issue handling "unplayable items". When i try to play one of this "unplayable item" the interface shows, nothing not even an error message. But in the logs i can see:

ERROR: Action - thread DVDPlayer, Unhandled exception caught in thread process, aborting. auto delete: 0
NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit()
NOTICE: DVDPlayer: eof, waiting for queues to empty
NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit() deleting input stream
DEBUG: OnPlayBackEnded : play state was 1, starting 1
DEBUG: OnPlayBackStopped : play state was 4, starting 0
DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnStop from xbmc
DEBUG: Thread DVDPlayer 139686420932352 terminating
DEBUG: GOT ANNOUNCEMENT, type: 1, from xbmc, message OnStop

When i see the system monitor, it looks like there is big a memory leak ( If i try playing the video 2 more time, the system runs out of free memory and starts swapping. I have 4gb of RAM ).

Like i have said before, this unplayable videos are fine because i can play them with others video players.

cat ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log | pastebinit
http://paste.ubuntu.com/6938751/

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | pastebinit
http://paste.ubuntu.com/6938752/

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - samsonluk - 2014-02-16

(2014-02-14, 06:16)fritsch Wrote: If all this is succesfully working, we will change xubuntu to also automatically start xbmc and so on.

Finally get it up and running after 2 days fights, the flight was not with XBMC but with Ubuntu installation in my laptop...

I also failed to get Xubuntu install but I finally get Ubuntu server up and running, the installation process also attempt to detect the network card and hang in the middle, I have to abort and skip everything related with network hardware detection during install and finally complete the whole process.

Once Ubuntu server up, I found the network interface can actually be bring up by "ifconfig p5p1 up", yes, the network interface become p5p1 but not eth0. lsmod show that the kernel module to support this odd card is listed as atl1c.

I follow the howto step by step to install XBMC and reboot. Bingo! XBMC is now up and running, the only process show up in the laptop screen. XBMC main screen also immediately mirrored to TV while connecting the HDMI cable then I complete the rest of the XBMC settings + create advancedsettings.xml in howto step 4 and reboot.

Everything seems okay, sound also output in TV side but the only problem left is that instead of 1080p I can only get 720p in the TV. Would it be due to my laptop screen's max resolution is only 1366x768? In Windows, I can get both display having their max resolution by extending the desktop but how can I do this in Ubuntu / XBMC?

(2014-02-14, 06:16)fritsch Wrote: Are you in need of doing Bitstream Audio passthrough?

also, I am new to multimedia stuff and how can I know if I need this Bitstream Audio passthrough?

Thanks again for your patient and advises!

dmesg
cat /home/xbmc/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
DISPLAY=:0 vdpauinfo
dpkg -l |grep mesa

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - wsnipex - 2014-02-16

select the correct Monitor in Xbmc - Settings - System - Video Output

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - samsonluk - 2014-02-16

(2014-02-16, 09:12)wsnipex Wrote: select the correct Monitor in Xbmc - Settings - System - Video Output

Finally get full 1080p on TV... beside the tips above I have also need to switch off the laptop screen. Any means I can make use of the laptop screen for other task such as Ubuntu console because I will use xbmc remote Android App to control xbmc on TV.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - wsnipex - 2014-02-16

you should be able to use both monitors, but I guess not with extended desktop but 2 separate screens.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - jbrnd - 2014-02-17

I've followed this howto to install XBMC on my AMD E-350 and it works very well, except for one thing: roughly once every 20 minutes, live TV from my MythTV box slows to a complete crawl - about one frame per second. Once this happens, I have to stop and restart the channel to regain a normal frame rate.

If I bring up the XBMC info display after this happens, the "error" column rapidly counts up to about 4000 %. Then, the error resets to 0% and the next frame is shown. Screenshot: http://nullinfinity.org/xbmc_myth.jpg

This only happens with files from the MythTV box, never with files in the regular XBMC library. It doesn't seem to happen when I use the MythTV frontend on my laptop either, nor did it happen with my old XBMC installation. If anyone has any idea what the problem could be, it'd be much appreciated.

This is with the latest mesa and xbmc versions from the PPAs in this thread, and kernel 3.13.1-031301-generic.