Kodi Community Forum
Linux Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Linux Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) (/showthread.php?tid=174854)

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - gfisher - 2013-10-19

The video is ota modern family was 720p mpeg2 59.94 I converted to 720p 59.94 xbmc upscaled to 1080p. 24p 1080/720p. OK. 1080i 29.97 is fine. No skips. 720p is high level.. Low bitrate from handbrake. So is it that 720p 60 is really decoded 1080p 60 because it is upscaled? I think software decode did not have the skips.. Will check, doing a clean install to another thumb. My grub had radeon.audio=1, xubuntu defaults spdif.. Its a known issue. I fixed it before. I forgot, how. 8( no biggie. These are temp USB thumb installs for now.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - fritsch - 2013-10-19

Nope, but if scaling is done, set it to bilinear, just to be sure.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - ln17 - 2013-10-19

"unable to locate libg3dvl-mesa".

Can somebody confirm that above problem caused by that the "sausy" MESA driver package has not been built yet?

I am not sure, I just assume it. Thank you

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - gfisher - 2013-10-19

@fritsch the new kernel did not work on Xubuntu. Clean installed followed op less start up script. Resulted in 12fps: Youtube in firefox and xbmc. Like bad audio chosen on frodo. Slow motion audio in youtube. I reverted to the old 3.11.4 and it is fine. No slow motion. And bilinear scaling and analog with pulses took care of 720p 59.94. No more skips beautiful picture. No judder seen. It appears the 3.12rc5 does not work with pulse. I don't need pass thru. I can experiment some if you want it. I figured out how to revert kernels safe enough.
Edit- not Pulse related, Now on xubuntu desktop with pulse fine on 3.11.4. Newer kernels are causing issues on my HDMI hardware. More to come. Still investigating.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - fritsch - 2013-10-20

3.12-rc6 is out, I updated the packages.

I don't want pulse at all, as we don't support it via ActiveAE and it has and still causes severe problem. We are working on a PASink for our new developed Audio Engine, but before that one is in xbmc, pulse with xbmc is a pita and highly not suggested at all.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - gfisher - 2013-10-20

OK. I will try the new one. I like the desktop for email,YouTube, etc. Pulse is a yucky layer. Agreed 100%. I will try getting pure alsa working on the other pulseless soundless thumb install.

Don't get me wrong. You can install whatever you want, but it is off topic in this howto thread.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - ddeeds - 2013-10-20

I posted a How To Guide for Arch Linux and the packages needed.

Arch Linux - Radeon, VDPAU, HD Audio (including DTS-HD, TrueHD, LPCM 7.1), XBMC plus a 50% decrease in CPU usage over AMD Catalyst Drivers

Thanks again Fritsch for staying on top of / keeping track of all the various updates / patches for Linux, Alsa, Mesa, etc. and for reporting bugs.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Any questions or issues with Arch Linux please post in the above link so we can keep this thread Ubuntu focused.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - beschmid - 2013-10-20

(2013-10-19, 10:05)fritsch Wrote:
(2013-10-19, 08:02)beschmid Wrote: @fritsch: When I enable Live TV my system freezes. Is there a log or any info I can provide you to troubleshoot this?

xbmc.log with debugging turned on. Btw. LiveTV is my primary scenario and it obviously works for me. Check the relevant output concerning glinterop and vdpauinfo.

@fritsch: xbmc.log - http://paste.ubuntu.com/6267428/.

@beschmid: It would help if you would actually play movie in that logfile / or LiveTV channel.

Start with that test file from your local drive: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55728161/clannad.mkv (it has no audio)

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - Maxi - 2013-10-20

Hi All

Today I decided to give the OSS drivers a try, starting with a fresh install. Unfortunately after installing everything I got a high-CPU usage. A quick check of dmesg provided quite a clear hint of what was going on:

Code:
dmesg | egrep 'drm|radeon'

[    2.199341] radeon 0000:05:00.0: radeon_uvd: Can't load firmware "radeon/CYPRESS_uvd.bin"
[    2.217346] smc: error loading firmware "radeon/REDWOOD_smc.bin"
[    2.217350] r600_cp: Failed to load firmware "radeon/REDWOOD_smc.bin"
[    2.217360] radeon 0000:05:00.0: disabling GPU acceleration

A quick check to /lib/firmware/radeon confirmed that such firmwares were missing (but I started with a fresh install... shouldn't be there??). I was able to fix the problem with

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dtl131/mediahacks
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install linux-firmware

I'm not necessarily recommending that ppa ... but is the one I found...

After this (and Kernel reinstall) CPU went down to 10% with XBMC running.

Hope this info helps others... and maybe somebody can explain me why the firmware was not there from the beginning (other Redwood files were there)

They are packaged in the linux-firmware version I suggest to be installed via oibaf or via wsnipex mesa.

Code:
fritsch@openelec:/lib/firmware/radeon$ dpkg -L linux-firmware |grep -i redwood
/lib/firmware/radeon/REDWOOD_rlc.bin
/lib/firmware/radeon/REDWOOD_smc.bin
/lib/firmware/radeon/REDWOOD_me.bin
/lib/firmware/radeon/REDWOOD_pfp.bin

Code:
fritsch@openelec:/lib/firmware/radeon$ dpkg -l |grep linux |grep firmware
ii  linux-firmware                        1.116~gd~r

Did you follow the howto? Based on Ubuntu Raring?

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - FreakErn - 2013-10-20

Hey fritsch,

i have already a ubuntu 12.04 xbmc with the fglrx 13.6 beta with a lot of running services and i don't want to reinstall the complete system (AMD E-350 with an ATI 6310). So is your guide compatible with a 12.04 xbmcbuntu upgraded to ubuntu 13.10? ubuntu 13.04 and 13.10 have the same x-server version and the kernel will be upgraded anyway, right? The radeon driver (i think it is xserver-xorg-video-ati) will change from 7.1 to 7.2 (from 13.04 to 13.10) could this be a problem do you know that?

Thanks in advance dude, great job btw

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - burgerga - 2013-10-20

Hey fritsch,

First of all thanks for all the help you have already provided, awesome!

I am on Ubuntu 12.04 (precise) and so I couldn't follow the guide to the letter; instead of using the wsnipex/mesa ppa I used oibafs ppa.
qvdpautest shows that everything is fine but in xbmc I get a white screen whenever I try to play HD movies.
IIRC this is why you included a specific version of mesa in the wsnipex/mesa, is it possible to also include this version for precise?

Huge thanks for any help you can provide!

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - beschmid - 2013-10-20

(2013-10-20, 09:10)fritsch Wrote: @beschmid: It would help if you would actually play movie in that logfile / or LiveTV channel.

Start with that test file from your local drive: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55728161/clannad.mkv (it has no audio)

@fritsch: I can't play a live tv channel as that is my issue. Live TV won't enable, when I select enable it freezes immediately. I have no troubles playing videos of any kind, via addons or local. The log provided is a log that I selected enable Live Tv in the system settings, and had the freeze. I then provided the xbmc.log from that session.