Kodi Community Forum
Linux Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Linux Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) (/showthread.php?tid=174854)

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - fritsch - 2013-11-29

@Endeavour79: Post it there: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=170338 with all logfiles available most important xbmc debug log

Also describe your settings there, most import: idle time of Audio Settings.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - metheos - 2013-11-30

My ASUS E35M1-I DELUXE required different settings in advancedsettings.xml to get the cpu and gpu temperatures correctly.

sensors output:
Code:
radeon-pci-0008
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +53.0°C  (crit = +120.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)

k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +53.1°C  (high = +70.0°C)
                       (crit = +100.0°C, hyst = +97.0°C)

advancedsettings.xml commands:
Code:
<cputempcommand>sensors|sed -ne '1h;1!H;${g;s/radeon.*k10temp.*temp1: \+[-+]\([0-9]\+\).*/\1 C/p}'</cputempcommand>
<gputempcommand>sensors|sed -ne '1h;1!H;${g;s/radeon.*temp1: \+[-+]\([0-9]\+\).*/\1 C/p}'</gputempcommand>

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - VanillaXtract - 2013-11-30

Any ideas as to why CPU speed is displayed as 0.00MHz?

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - metheos - 2013-12-01

I followed the guide in the op to the letter today on a blank hard drive and everything is working great except for DTS passthrough,

but what's odd is that DTS-HD passthrough works just fine!

In the process I noticed that if I uncheck DTS in the supported formats DTS-HD will no longer do passthrough either (regardless of its checked state). I can see how this might make sense programmatically, but in my case I'd rather have my DTS-HD passing through than not.

I tried the audio troubleshooting steps suggested in the op, but same result every time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - fritsch - 2013-12-01

Suggestions: Logfiles, please.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - jaapp - 2013-12-01

I followed your instructions to the letter. My A10-5700 APU is now working better on Linux than on Windows!

Fritsch - thanks! I really appreciate you taking the time to document this and helping the users out.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - laric - 2013-12-01

Is there any easy way to roll back to previous debs downloaded from a ppa using normal apt-get dist-upgrade?

This as today's xbmc/xbmc-bin is running one core on 100% of the time all the time.. My fanless setup is kinda burning up Smile

I last updated about a week ago and that was fine.

(if you have any use of logs just tell me and I will start up the machine again and take out some logs.. but in general I keep the machine shutdown due to temperatures of 87 on gpu and 75 on cpu)

Does this also happen with a clean .xbmc? I think it's an addon. Try to post xbmc.log with debugging enabled after a bit idle.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - deadite66 - 2013-12-01

cpu load normal for me with the latest version.

Yeah - for me too :-)

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - alexsim2004 - 2013-12-01

(2013-11-20, 01:32)pyrodex Wrote: Since I've made a change to the black levels from 0-255 to 16-235 with this OSS setup

@pyrodex - May I ask how you managed to change the range level from Full to Limited (16-235)?

I also have the issue with videos being too dark (black crush), and I have been trying for days to change the RGB range on the OSS driver, but no success yet.
Does anyone know of a way to change this setting in the Radeon Driver?

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - laric - 2013-12-01

it was an addon... XBMC File Checker... it kills the cpu even without running..
I disabled script.service.checkpreviousepisode and script.filecleaner and now I am on 1-2% cpu again.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - pyrodex - 2013-12-01

(2013-12-01, 12:08)alexsim2004 Wrote:
(2013-11-20, 01:32)pyrodex Wrote: Since I've made a change to the black levels from 0-255 to 16-235 with this OSS setup

@pyrodex - May I ask how you managed to change the range level from Full to Limited (16-235)?

I also have the issue with videos being too dark (black crush), and I have been trying for days to change the RGB range on the OSS driver, but no success yet.
Does anyone know of a way to change this setting in the Radeon Driver?

You have to go into the Settings and switch from Basic to Advanced to Expert in the right hand lower section in confluence then they settings will be under Settings -> System -> Video Output
down at the bottom, there is the option to "Use limited colour range(16-235).

FYI Almost no skins except confluence support that settings level change so make sure you are in confluence.

RE: Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto) - metheos - 2013-12-01

Logfiles
dmesg
xbmc
Xorg
vdpauinfo
mesa list

The first video playback has DTS audio and the passthrough does not work.
The second video playback has DTS-HD audio and the passthrough works.
The third video playback is the same video as the second after disabling DTS as a supported passthrough format demonstrating the that DTS-HD no longer does passthrough.

DTS-HD depends on DTS, if you disable DTS, DTS-HD will also be disabled.
Then DTS-Core (not the HD Master) format will be decoded and then (if > 2.0 channels) output as LPCM or if not and AC3 is there as AC3.

In your logs everything is okay. You just hear nothing?