Kodi Community Forum
OS X Mac Mini and Led TV via HDMI ARC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: OS X Mac Mini and Led TV via HDMI ARC (/showthread.php?tid=176186)

Pages: 1 2

Mac Mini and Led TV via HDMI ARC - passenger - 2013-10-21

Hello, I want to connect a Mac Mini (running XBMC of course) via an HDMI cable through my Led TV HDMI ARC input. That's pretty straight forward but I wanted to know if somebody could tell me if it's possible to use the tv remote to control XBMC with this setup.

RE: Mac Mini and Led TV via HDMI ARC - allan87 - 2013-10-21

The mac mini has IR that can be controlled by an apple remote control or a Harmony.

RE: Mac Mini and Led TV via HDMI ARC - nickr - 2013-10-21

You would need a Pulse 8 HDMI-CEC adaptor for that, (and before you buy one I would ensure its driver runs on OSX!)

RE: Mac Mini and Led TV via HDMI ARC - noggin - 2013-10-21

Or run Windows on the Mac Mini - as many Mac Mini HTPC owners chose to do.

Re: Mac Mini and Led TV via HDMI ARC - nickr - 2013-10-21

Or linux if you want a real OS Wink

Although CEC is, on paper, a very elegant solution, the quality of support varies among TV manufacturers. If I had a mini (as opposed to a raspberry pi) connected to my LG, I think the mini's IR would be the better solution.

RE: Mac Mini and Led TV via HDMI ARC - passenger - 2013-10-21

Thanks a lot for all the replies, really helpful. I will look into the CEC converter option. I would use the apple remote but the tv is in another room...

RE: Mac Mini and Led TV via HDMI ARC - ozkhan1 - 2013-10-21

Apple mac mini IR is very unstable when it comes to using it with non Apple remote. I have not been able to get it to work consistently.

You might be better off with a bluetooth remote. Getting a bluetooth remote to talk to Mac mini BLUETOOTH receiver is much simpler and easier.

Just my two cents.

(2013-10-21, 17:38)passenger Wrote: Thanks a lot for all the replies, really helpful. I will look into the CEC converter option. I would use the apple remote but the tv is in another room...
CEC uses the HDMI cable. Do you have the mac mini connected to a TV, that is in another room, with HDMI?

(2013-10-21, 17:44)ozkhan1 Wrote: Apple mac mini IR is very unstable when it comes to using it with non Apple remote. I have not been able to get it to work consistently.
I only use my appleTV with a non-apple remote.

Yes I know, but a Bluetooth remote it's very expensive for this. The HDMI CEC adapter nickr suggested is a nice idea but I'm not sure if it will work. My final option will be just using a remote control app via wifi, but we all know it's not the same as using a real remote.

What about something like this? In theory I can use the Apple Remote through the wall:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170930299276?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

allan87, Yes with a 5-6 feet HDMI cable that goes through the wall. The rooms are not that big, basically the mac mini and the tv are just a few feet apart except from a wall (this of course blocks the IR signal from the Mac Mini)

I don't understand why you would not have the TV and Mini in the same room, unless the Mini is not going to be a dedicated HTPC. If it is not a dedicated HTPC, remote control is the least of your problems.

The Mini is placed in a office type room, so it's not a dedicated HTPC. It all works perfect, but the problem is that a remote control app is not a match to the experience of an actual tv/apple remote (I hate looking at the phone screen all the time if you know what I mean).

Hope it's more clear now, english it's not my primary language so some things may get lost in translation.

RE: Mac Mini and Led TV via HDMI ARC - nickr - 2013-10-21

OK well I think we have exhausted all the options for you. Up to you what you do now.

RE: Mac Mini and Led TV via HDMI ARC - spencers - 2013-10-21

(2013-10-21, 18:10)passenger Wrote: Yes I know, but a Bluetooth remote it's very expensive for this. The HDMI CEC adapter nickr suggested is a nice idea but I'm not sure if it will work. My final option will be just using a remote control app via wifi, but we all know it's not the same as using a real remote.

What about something like this? In theory I can use the Apple Remote through the wall:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170930299276?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

allan87, Yes with a 5-6 feet HDMI cable that goes through the wall. The rooms are not that big, basically the mac mini and the tv are just a few feet apart except from a wall (this of course blocks the IR signal from the Mac Mini)

I think that solution on ebay would suit you best. Just run it through the wall next to the HDMI cable

Yes I agree, and if it doesn't work then it's cheap as hell to try at least haha. Thanks again for all the suggestions.