Kodi Community Forum
Moving files from two HDDs to a new one: Keeping the library - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: Moving files from two HDDs to a new one: Keeping the library (/showthread.php?tid=176224)

Moving files from two HDDs to a new one: Keeping the library - FlowBizkit - 2013-10-21

Hi guys,

I am pretty new to xbmc so probably this is an easy one for you.

I want to replace two 1.5 TB drives with a new 3 TB HDD in my Win7 HTPC.
All movies on both drives are in the library and I would like to know how I can keep the data after all files have moved to the new drive.
No filenames will be changed!
Perhaps you have an pretty easy solution, XBMC Version is Eden.
After I have done this I want to update or does it make more sense to do this before I move the files?

Thx in advance!
Kind regards

Flow

RE: Moving files from two HDDs to a new one: Keeping the library - nokdim - 2013-10-21

I dont think there is an easy solution but you can use this as a tutorial and if you are not using MySQL db you can use a local sqlite db browser like this one to make the same changes but on the sqlite side of things.

to make your work a little easier I would say add the new 3TB as the existing drive letter so if you have drive E and F add the new 3TB as drive E or F after its all copied over so you only have to update half the library.

RE: Moving files from two HDDs to a new one: Keeping the library - FlowBizkit - 2013-10-21

Ohhh thx.
So you mean I just should replace the path in the "MySQL" file?

RE: Moving files from two HDDs to a new one: Keeping the library - nokdim - 2013-10-21

Yep in your MyVidoes60.db since you said you run Eden you just need to update the path reference in there to point to the new path.
Dont forget to backup as instructed just in case...
I know there were changes in the db schema between Eden and Frodo and that tutorial doesn't seem to specify if it is for one version or the other but its the same concept.

RE: Moving files from two HDDs to a new one: Keeping the library - FlowBizkit - 2013-10-23

That means after I completed the transfer I should update?

RE: Moving files from two HDDs to a new one: Keeping the library - nokdim - 2013-10-23

Yeah I would wait until after your transfer is complete to update your library paths.

RE: Moving files from two HDDs to a new one: Keeping the library - Kib - 2013-10-24

1. Export library to separate files.
2. Use advanced setting importwatchedstate
3. Copy files to new structure
4. Add new sources, update library
5. Clean library

RE: Moving files from two HDDs to a new one: Keeping the library - FlowBizkit - 2013-11-09

Soooo...
a lil time has gone by but now I transfer all the movies to the new 3 TB drive.

I tried to use MY SQLite mit unfortunately I didn't finde the "Path" in the myvideo60.db file just to change the drive letter.
Probalby Im just blind . I found it for "videos" but not the movies under "files".

So I tried to go with Kibs Tut.

I expoted the library using step 1: All the separated files are now in the original HDD especially its movie folder (which is "root" btw).
So there are all movies and nfos, xmls, jpgs in Drive "S:".

So 3 means: I copy all of these files to the root of the new drive "Z:" (including movies and nfos, xmls, jpgs) .

If I import the database now "like I exported it" I will set the folder to "Z:" whre it will find the separated files.
XBMC will upodate the myvideos60db all alone?
And for my understanding, in my XBMC I would not see a difference so I just changed the location or will there be doubled entries of a movie "with the old and the new location"?
After that I can delete the movies and nfos, xmls, jpgs from the "Z:" Drive

Am I right?

Right?