Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=176718)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - -DDD- - 2014-01-18

Quote:I want to enjoy fast response/boot times from a MSATA SSD, and store my large music collection on the 2,5 HDD, so I won't need to wake my server just to listen to music.

You can also buy a SSHD - http://geizhals.de/eu/seagate-laptop-sshd-1tb-st1000lm014-a915243.html
http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/laptop-hard-drives/laptop-solid-state-hybrid-drive/

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - kokoro - 2014-01-18

Thanks -DDD- ,

I knew about those SSHD, but I would prefer one msata and a hdd cause I already own a HDD and I like to have choice. So do you know if you can install BOTH at the same time?

Thanks again.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - -DDD- - 2014-01-18

i haven't found any Documents or Reviews about this new NUC Type.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - niksus - 2014-01-18

Sure you can, that's the point of the "H" case.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - gamble - 2014-01-18

Just tried th r17009 Nightly and i get perm reboot...after swapping back to r16865 everything works as usual..reboot after 1st shutdown attempt but at least it stays off after the 2nd time..

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - micoba - 2014-01-18

Why didn't you disable WOL? That way at least it shuts down immeaditely, though, I miss a working standby.

When will Intel finally fix this? It's getting annoying!!!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Crssi - 2014-01-18

In a year or two. Wink
F2 entering BIOS problem persist a few years now.
Intel doesn't take this very seriously, I guess. Wink

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - rampagl - 2014-01-18

Hi everybody,
i read the whole discussion but i've still some doubt, please need an help..

I need a new one htpc to run all my 1080p films from ny NAS in my living room and i was thinking about buying this i3 haswell NUC (D34010WYK), but it's not so simple.....
some point:
- use xbmc to run all my films from NAS
- use windows (i really don't want but seems to be the only solution because openelec doesn't support silverlight) to run SKY GO for football live

anyone tried to see SKY GO with this NUC??
anyway, the first problem is that i need to switch different resolutions between xbmc (1080p) and win for SKY GO (720p because higher the quality is bad) how can i doHuh

second problem: i think that 4gb ram and a 32 gb mSATA SSD could be enough, recommendHuh?

third problem: what remoteHuh??

Thank you for your attention and I hope that the post can be of help to someone in the future.. especially for using SKY GO...

I recommend Win 8.1 - 4Gb Ram and a 32Gb msata ssd are enough. I just switched to 8Gb cause I have this strange "not enough ram" problem which still occurs with 8Gb (I never really thought I didn't have enough ram, but I wanted to rule out damaged ram).

I don't use Sky Go, though I could try it if I find the time.

The i3 is powerful enough for everything, as long as you don't want to play emulated / Steam games. But even with an i5 it's not nearly perfect, though absolutely playable (ok, depends on the games, of course).

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - lmyllari - 2014-01-18

(2014-01-17, 18:46)lmyllari Wrote:
(2014-01-11, 06:22)lmyllari Wrote: I think I found a small problem with the playback quality. It looks like the video window might be one pixel too narrow (and image is scaled down to fit, leading to slight errors).

I can see the same with xbmc picture viewer, but not the xbmc calibration patterns.

I've uploaded a test image to http://i.imgur.com/jLHZVjJ.png - this should show a flat grey pattern (1 pixel wide vertical lines). On my system I see brightness variations in the pattern.

edit: this is an older OE git build, I'll retest with a recent nightly and report a bug if nobody else beats me to it
This issue seems to come and go. I'm still seeing it sometimes.

It looks like the pixelratio calculation is not always accurate. Looking at guisettings.xml some 1920x1080 modes have a pixelratio of 1, others 0.999798. The latter leads to horizontal downscaling that can be seen using the horizontal resolution test pattern.
I uploaded a fixed build to https://www.dropbox.com/s/ak70f0pbu1fxxe5/OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-devel-20140117162512-r17011-gb785de7.tar

To fix the pixelratios, I had to remove the old resolutions from guisettings.xml. After that they were calculated accurately.

Here's the code I used: http://pastebin.com/B2wgDnSc

First off: +1 rep for all your efforts!

Could you please summ up all the improvents, that are included in your built, since you got your hands on the nuc! That would be great!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - lmyllari - 2014-01-18

(2014-01-18, 21:45)micoba Wrote: First off: +1 rep for all your efforts!

Could you please summ up all the improvents, that are included in your built, since you got your hands on the nuc! That would be great!
Thanks!

Only two patches in this build on top of what's in the nightlies:

1) 16-235 passthrough that I always put in my builds for my system (allows setting untouched output and signaling limited range content with xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Video 16:235 pass-through" to be used with the 16-235 setting in xbmc)

2) The patch I linked, which (at least for me) fixes the unnecessary scaling of 1080p content (and resulting loss in horizontal resolution). It checks the reported display size, and if the aspect ratio is withing 1% of 4:3 or 16:9, it assumes exact 4:3 or 16:9. The screen size is reported in mm and is not accurate enough to calculate scaling for 1080p directly.

Nightlies have all the rest of the good stuff included now. I'm very impressed by the vaapi-sse4 work which allows using hw decoding with limited range output and/or software deinterlacing. The deinterlacing is not completely stable for me yet, but I'll need to capture logs and report it.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - bh285 - 2014-01-19

I have the D54250WYK NUC, with windows 7 and 12.3 stable release XBMC. I've noticed a background audible low frequency hum that is unique to the NUC's HDMI connection through my Pioneer 1222K receiver. I find this odd for many reasons.

For example, its most noticeable when using a mouse to navigate XBMC's menu's. My first notice was when navigating the settings submenu. If the cursor was placed on the left side buttons, there would be no hum, if the tip of the cursor touched the first pixel of the right hand section, the hum would begin. The hum will modulate up and down as I move the cursor around the right side of the screen. Very odd.

Its also noticeable when using a remote, when navigating menus, selecting a movie for example the hum will oscillate to varying degrees as focus jumps from menu item to menu item.

I lean toward a bad part or design flaw in the NUC, but would like to know if anyone has had the same experience.

I'm using the mini-HDMI connection. The hum was only noticeable once I installed the NUC in my screening room, where Klipsch speakers and multiple subs reveal all.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - philbio - 2014-01-19

My unit is fine in high end theater room, replace HDMI cable, check other cables and then RMA it.

Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - BLKMGK - 2014-01-19

HDMI output is digital, the noise you describe is analog. It's a cabling issue or maybe some sort of grounding issue IMO. I've not ever experienced this with either of the NUC I have even at high volumes.