Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=176718)

Re: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - dbldown768 - 2014-01-23

This is why I was apprehensive on ordering one. Sucker is coming in the mail today. WAF is going to blow if I have to keep tinkering with this thing.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - peio72 - 2014-01-23

(2014-01-17, 17:13)husky55 Wrote: @Peio, I think you are right about the bios needed update. I have an Onkyo avr and have the same problem.

Hi Husky, did you try the new Bios update ? Did it solve HDMI issues with HD Audio and your receiver ? I will try tonight to see if it solves HD audio issues for me too.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - joenitro - 2014-01-23

(2014-01-22, 22:31)Acrobat76 Wrote: I'm not sure if it's a windows issue or a NUC one and it's also rather minor. Basically when I resume a video from pause it fast forwards for a half second or so. This didn't used to happen to me on XBMC on ATV2.

Running windows 8.1 64bit. Anyone else experiencing such an issue?

YES! It does this for me too :-(
Windows 8.1 32bit here. Quite annoying isn't it...
I can't remember if it did this on the openelec version I tried before settling on Windows though??

As an aside, do you use a remote control with your NUC? If so, do you use the built in IR receiver?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - peio72 - 2014-01-23

(2014-01-23, 17:49)peio72 Wrote:
(2014-01-17, 17:13)husky55 Wrote: @Peio, I think you are right about the bios needed update. I have an Onkyo avr and have the same problem.

Hi Husky, did you try the new Bios update ? Did it solve HDMI issues with HD Audio and your receiver ? I will try tonight to see if it solves HD audio issues for me too.

Updated to new bios, still same issues with DTS-MA audio on my 1910 Denon, very disappointing, the passthrough HD Audio of the NUC Haswell doesn't work with all receiver. It has to be known. Think to go back to my A-400 which is working fine with HD Audio.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - nickr - 2014-01-23

(2014-01-23, 13:08)micoba Wrote: Don't update to FW 23!!!

- Power Button didn't work anymore
- Openelec Shuttoff and Standby don't work
- USB 3.0 problems aren't fixed
- even after shutting off, usb sticks and hdds stay on

I went back to FW22, but the powerbutton still doesn't work! Should I send it back?

Edit: I opened a new thread in the Intel Community:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/48325
I subscribed to this thread outof interest, not because I am necessarily thinking of buying a haswell nuc, but just interested in hardware in general.

I must say my lurking has led me to think that these haswell nucs are a goddamned train wreck!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - dbldown768 - 2014-01-23

All i want this thing to do is playback mkvs, hd audio and turn on and turn off with a remote.. am I expecting too much? I hope not. I will find out later today when i get mine in the mail. I feel like I should have order the 2012 model without the issues.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - tfouto - 2014-01-23

hey guys! I understand your frustation, but you should complain here:

https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/nuc

i dont think intel people are watching this. You have to let them know, that this kinds of bug's for expensive hardware, it's not acceptable.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - micoba - 2014-01-23

Are you telling me, I posted in the wrong thread?

Isn't this the correct place?

https://communities.intel.com/thread/48325

Also I don't see my thread where the other Nuc related threads are.

@dbldown768

If you use a remote to power on the Nuc and Win 8.1 you won't notice the problems.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - LastMile - 2014-01-24

(2014-01-23, 22:04)nickr Wrote: I must say my lurking has led me to think that these haswell nucs are a goddamned train wreck!
I'm running OpenELEC nightlies on my i5 NUC off a Sandisk USB 3.0 key and it's near perfect. Sure, I can't suspend or power off properly but it uses so little power at idle compared to my old ION 330 I'm happy to just leaving it running and just switch off my LCD TV and amp.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - baltik - 2014-01-24

My i3 nuc just came in the mail - is my safest starting point FW22 and r17009-gd6c28f3 generic nightly?
I will be running openElec off a Sandisk USB extreme 3.0 drive

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - dbldown768 - 2014-01-24

so is a nightly build of OpenELEC recommended? what im downloading at the moment.

edit: loaded standard intel build off of usb live disk for now. It seems like the blacks are very very gray. Is that in intel thing I assume?

Edit2: looks like the best way to fix the 'gray' problem is to turn off VAAPI and add the following to autostart.sh
Code:
xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"

This was needed on my samsung tv. I assume this depends on the display. When I hook this up to my project, I'm hoping this is not needed. Turning off VAAPI in the settings is going to cause more CPU work.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - -DDD- - 2014-01-24

"loaded standard intel build off of usb live disk for now. It seems like the blacks are very very gray. "
So you loaded version 3.2.4? I think the grey fix is only in the 4.0 nighties Builds.

Re: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - dbldown768 - 2014-01-24

Ah. That's is good info to know. I assume there might be some other fixes in there as well?

As of right now I'm just running off a thumb drive until I get my mSata ssd. I downloaded a nightly version but it did not come with a live stick installer so I installed the stable version you mentioned. I assume I have to just copy over the kernal and system files now to run the nightly off the USB.

Also I did not update the firmware since people gave the impression that this does not fix the suspend issues. I noticed that suspend didn't work correctly for me like other users mentioned. That's said when xbmc was set to shutdown I could power off and power on with no issues. The few negatives I have there is time (not a huge deal) and the fact I like to use advance wake on LAN to wake up my of where the shared SQL database is located. In this situation I will need to add that to my autostart.sh so that PC is awaken prior to xbmc looking for database information.

BTW, this box is super tiny. Smaller than I expected. I hope the bugs can get ironed out because I would recommend it. I have yet to try HD audio which is my next step.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - d_hero - 2014-01-24

(2014-01-24, 00:16)LastMile Wrote:
(2014-01-23, 22:04)nickr Wrote: I must say my lurking has led me to think that these haswell nucs are a goddamned train wreck!
I'm running OpenELEC nightlies on my i5 NUC off a Sandisk USB 3.0 key and it's near perfect. Sure, I can't suspend or power off properly but it uses so little power at idle compared to my old ION 330 I'm happy to just leaving it running and just switch off my LCD TV and amp.

Same here, i know the suspend/shut down issues are a big deal for some, which is fine, but as i'm happy to leave it on, I never intended it to be turned off from the moment i got it, there are no other problems to speak of. The gotham nightlies are pretty much flawless, any issues i've had have been down to me doing something wrong rather than a fault. Personally, i could not want a more perfect unit to run XBMC/Openelec. If i had to change anything, it would be to get a fanless aluminium case, my NUC is in a cabinet with some other equipment and it does get hot, and while I cant hear the fan screaming away when the door is closed, I can't imagine that constant heat will be good for it, but apart from that, its great!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - micoba - 2014-01-24

Leaving a device with a fan on all the time is no option for me. I'm so happy, that at least Win 8.1 standby works.