Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=176718)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Aquila - 2014-02-12

does anyone have bootproblems with openelec installed on SSD too or does it concern only USB 3.0 Stick?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - frarev - 2014-02-12

(2014-02-12, 21:14)micoba Wrote: There's a first reaction from Intel regarding the new update...

https://communities.intel.com/thread/48842

Not good :-( They consider Linux is not an official supported OS for our NUC.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - micoba - 2014-02-12

(2014-02-12, 22:21)Aquila Wrote: does anyone have bootproblems with openelec installed on SSD too or does it concern only USB 3.0 Stick?

I would like to know that, too!

I never managed to create a working dual boot setup with OE/Win 8.1, too. Anyone?

Re: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - dbldown768 - 2014-02-12

I'm running OE on an SSD with no problems. I haven't updated the firmware since I got the nuc. The only thing not working for me is suspend/sleep but I just power off the box and power back on.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - micoba - 2014-02-12

@frarev

The Akasa looks huge on the photos - now, that's bad advertising! First I found it ugly... But now that I took a second look, and learnt, that it's only 150 mm looking from the front, I will consider buying it!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - bukhlef - 2014-02-12

Remote:
[quote='Dogboltt' pid='1564288' dateline='1385972342']

SSH to openelec box and type:

cd /storage/.config
touch autostart.sh
chmod 0777 autostart.sh
nano autostart.sh

# IR fix
modprobe -r nuvoton-cir
echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources
modprobe nuvoton-cir

Ok this is noobish i know, but i really don't know how to execute these two commands, i already connected to my NUC via SSH but what shall i do to execute these commands after i pasted them in SSH window >.> i even tried ExtraPutty still same thing nothing happens

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - wanner - 2014-02-13

Im thinking about buying the new haswell nuc with space for a 2.5" extra disk, but i cant decide wether to go for the i3 (D34010WYKH2) or i5 (D54250WYKH2) version.
Its only going to be used for media playback: xbmc and flash/silverlight playback from the web, OS is going to be windows 8

Does the i3 perform as well as the i5 when it comes to media playback (Bluray 3D for example)?
Noise level is a big concern, does it differ anything between the i3 and i5? Do they run equally hot?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - seapoint - 2014-02-13

(2014-02-12, 23:01)micoba Wrote: @frarev

The Akasa looks huge on the photos - now, that's bad advertising! First I found it ugly... But now that I took a second look, and learnt, that it's only 150 mm looking from the front, I will consider buying it!

Here's the best I've found the Akasa for - excluding delivery to Ireland http://minipc.de/catalog/il/1804

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - chongwho - 2014-02-13

(2014-02-12, 17:03)bustamelon Wrote:
(2014-02-12, 13:28)chongwho Wrote: Hello all,
Some great info in these forums. Thanks for everything so far.
I am looking to SSH in to my Openelec NUC to create the remote command, however putty is saying "network error: connection refused".
I have researched a bit and found that I needed to create the ssh_enable blank file in configfiles, which I have done, but I am still unable to SSH.

This is stopping me from getting the remote working (and also the colors issue form post 1 of the thread)

Any help would be much appreciated

Not to overlook the obvious, but did you enable the SSH server in the OpenElec settings?
This depends on what version you are running. I don't think there is any need for the blank file in v2+... although I could be wrong about that. I have never had to do that. Just tick the box in the GUI settings menu.

Wow. Don't I feel stupid. SSH was turned off in OpenElec settings.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - bustamelon - 2014-02-13

(2014-02-13, 04:06)chongwho Wrote:
(2014-02-12, 17:03)bustamelon Wrote:
(2014-02-12, 13:28)chongwho Wrote: Hello all,
Some great info in these forums. Thanks for everything so far.
I am looking to SSH in to my Openelec NUC to create the remote command, however putty is saying "network error: connection refused".
I have researched a bit and found that I needed to create the ssh_enable blank file in configfiles, which I have done, but I am still unable to SSH.

This is stopping me from getting the remote working (and also the colors issue form post 1 of the thread)

Any help would be much appreciated

Not to overlook the obvious, but did you enable the SSH server in the OpenElec settings?
This depends on what version you are running. I don't think there is any need for the blank file in v2+... although I could be wrong about that. I have never had to do that. Just tick the box in the GUI settings menu.

Wow. Don't I feel stupid. SSH was turned off in OpenElec settings.

Nah, been there. Glad you got it worked out.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - bustamelon - 2014-02-13

(2014-02-12, 23:30)bukhlef Wrote: Ok this is noobish i know, but i really don't know how to execute these two commands, i already connected to my NUC via SSH but what shall i do to execute these commands after i pasted them in SSH window >.> i even tried ExtraPutty still same thing nothing happens

Do these one line at a time, hitting ENTER after each:

Code:
cd /storage/.config
touch autostart.sh
chmod +x autostart.sh
nano autostart.sh

Now you should be in the nano app. It's a text editor. You're editing the autostart file to have the following content, which you can paste in a block, all at once:

Code:
# IR fix
modprobe -r nuvoton-cir
echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources
modprobe nuvoton-cir

After you've done that, save the file. If you press Ctrl-X, for exit, it will ask you whether you want to save the file. Ctrl-O is for saving file without exiting the editor. Ctrl-G is for help on key combinations.

Once you've saved autostart.sh, reboot the NUC, and you should be good to go.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - sraptor - 2014-02-13

I have my nuc i3 working pretty good with oe. The only problem I have is after I suspend from constelation I can not get it back. I have to restart it from the nuc to make it work.

Any body has the same problem?

I would like to suspend it and wake on lan from the constelation.

thanks

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Ned Scott - 2014-02-13

(2014-02-12, 22:50)frarev Wrote:
(2014-02-12, 21:14)micoba Wrote: There's a first reaction from Intel regarding the new update...

https://communities.intel.com/thread/48842

Not good :-( They consider Linux is not an official supported OS for our NUC.

Nah, "not fully supported" is most likely just a way to cover their butts. Even if they did have various major linux-based OSes "fully supported", that still likely wouldn't include OpenELEC, since OpenELEC is only major in the XBMC world. You'll probably get a similar response from most hardware manufacturers. I wouldn't worry about it.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - OllieB - 2014-02-13

(2014-02-12, 20:46)Crssi Wrote: Then I could only speculate that your remote does not send the right power on sequence. Sad
If you know anyone with MCE/RC6 compliant remote to try with it?

Last night I played with some of the BIOS settings and guess what....I have managed to brick my NUC completely Sad

The power button does not work anymore (green light on, but no response), wake on lan does not work and neither does the remote. A BIOS recovery (USB stick and jumper) does not work because the power button does not function so I cannot start the NUC anymore.

Have e-mailed the vendor whether they want to replace the unit, or if they insist on trying to or send for repairs, I will try to remove the motherboard from the case (apparently not that easy) to disconnect/connect the CMOS battery.

Strange that the box is designed in such a way that the power button stops functioning when the BIOS is corrupted.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - zag - 2014-02-13

(2014-02-13, 11:06)OllieB Wrote:
(2014-02-12, 20:46)Crssi Wrote: Then I could only speculate that your remote does not send the right power on sequence. Sad
If you know anyone with MCE/RC6 compliant remote to try with it?

Last night I played with some of the BIOS settings and guess what....I have managed to brick my NUC completely Sad

The power button does not work anymore (green light on, but no response), wake on lan does not work and neither does the remote. A BIOS recovery (USB stick and jumper) does not work because the power button does not function so I cannot start the NUC anymore.

Have e-mailed the vendor whether they want to replace the unit, or if they insist on trying to or send for repairs, I will try to remove the motherboard from the case (apparently not that easy) to disconnect/connect the CMOS battery.

Strange that the box is designed in such a way that the power button stops functioning when the BIOS is corrupted.

I had this as well, try reseating the RAM.

This worked for me and not had a problem since!