Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=176718)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Tiny Clanger - 2014-03-05

(2014-03-04, 13:20)focke_oeuf Wrote: - I am considering running OE as it is mainly for media streaming purpose, but I discovered CouchPotato stuff. If it's allowed to talk about that here, what would be the best environment for an xbmc + CouchP ? I was considering W8.1 but there may be a smplier way...

My understanding is that talking about CouchPotato/SickBeard is fine as they just download NZB files/torrent files. Talking about the software that processes those files is allowed as it could also download legit stuff. Talking about blatantly using any of those programs for downloading copyrighted stuff without authorisation is a no-no, though.

With that in mind, the page in the OE Wiki might help.

Mods: I'm assuming I've interpreted the Piracy Policy correctly here, but please feel free to nuke or censor this if I'm wrong Blush

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - arokh - 2014-03-05

(2014-03-04, 21:20)fritsch Wrote: @arokh:

Think for one moment quite sane :-) What do you think is beta 1 compared to fernetmenta's master? Yeah you thought right, it's fernetmenta's master + exactly one commit: "Version = beta" .... So just build what works.

Edit: https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/commits/gotham

Aha, didn't see there was a gotham branch in FM's repo. Building now Big Grin

@millercentral

Putting it in OpenELEC would be very easy, you could probably do it yourself looking at the OE wiki or request someone do it in the nightly thread.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - fritsch - 2014-03-05

Just remove the --external-ffmpeg script, drop the fernetmenta patch (which is in specific version based on ffmpeg 1.2 already in), change the git hash to that specific branch with last commit id and here you go.

Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - frarev - 2014-03-05

(2014-03-04, 13:20)focke_oeuf Wrote: Hi everyone!

Just bought an i3 haswell NUC and waiting for delivery. I have red most of the thread but I still have some question remaining unanswered:
- I have a Yamaha receiver (RX A830) with the Yamaha universal remote. I've seen that someone made it work with OE, but was it out of the box or was it with a special program number?

And as it is my first post, I'd like to thank all the people providing info here to help other people (like me ^^).

I have a Yamaha A3020. I can use the AV remote to work with OE and my NUC i5. You have to program your remote as a microsoft vcr remote : see the code for your A830 receiver in its manual (for mine is 1016).

By this, I can fully power on and power off the NUC, navigate in XBMC menus, and play/pause movies. No need for an extra remote if you have enough with this.

(2014-03-04, 13:20)focke_oeuf Wrote: - I'm kind of lost between the xbmc releases and nuc compatibility... For a first time install with no power user stuff (no 24p, etc), can I leave the BIOS as OOTB and take the last stable OE release? I see many of you upgrading the BIOS and using nightly builds, but I'm not sure I'll be able to do as you all...

Till last week end, I used Openelec official stable version 3.2.4. I installed last week end a very last nightly build (just before the Beta1). Now, I can see in the system seetings few parameters more like 23.976 fps as a display set.

I only set the option Adjust display to match video rate and fully enjoyed yesterday two TV shows without any stuttering and a very good sound (sound seems to be better than in Frodo, but perharps I was lucky yesterday with those 2 TV Shows).

Edit : last very useful think. Consider to use the official xbmc remote for iOS or android. After power on your nuc with the Yamaha remote you can choose your movie or tv show with your fingers through your smartphone or tablet

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - focke_oeuf - 2014-03-05

(2014-03-05, 12:03)Tiny Clanger Wrote: My understanding is that talking about CouchPotato/SickBeard is fine as they just download NZB files/torrent files. Talking about the software that processes those files is allowed as it could also download legit stuff. Talking about blatantly using any of those programs for downloading copyrighted stuff without authorisation is a no-no, though.

Mods: I'm assuming I've interpreted the Piracy Policy correctly here, but please feel free to nuke or censor this if I'm wrong Blush

Ok that was my understanding too, but I wanted to be sure. I had a look a the wiki page and I'm still confused about the plugin. Can anyone who installed the SABnzb plugin confirm that everything is included?

As I'm completely newb in that stuff, does it allow to locally download the copyright free material coming from the official Xbmc video add-ons (like classic cinema)?

(2014-03-05, 14:51)frarev Wrote: I have a Yamaha A3020. I can use the AV remote to work with OE and my NUC i5. You have to program your remote as a microsoft vcr remote : see the code for your A830 receiver in its manual (for mine is 1016).

By this, I can fully power on and power off the NUC, navigate in XBMC menus, and play/pause movies. No need for an extra remote if you have enough with this.

Brilliant!! As I only did find codes labelled as "Microsoft" in the receiver manual, I'll try these, but it gives me hope it'll work!!
BTW, do the number buttons act like a phone keyboard and convert to letters with the number of strokes in a row? Otherwise, I think I'll be able to use my android tablet to input some text.

(2014-03-05, 14:51)frarev Wrote: Till last week end, I used Openelec official stable version 3.2.4. I installed last week end a very last nightly build (just before the Beta1). Now, I can see in the system seetings few parameters more like 23.976 fps as a display set.

I only set the option Adjust display to match video rate and fully enjoyed yesterday two TV shows without any stuttering and a very good sound (sound seems to be better than in Frodo, but perharps I was lucky yesterday with those 2 TV Shows).

Ok then I'll stick to the OOTB/stable versions in the first place and think about upgrading only if something doesn't work. As I have very basic requirements for the moment (mainly photo display, music and 720p max videos), this should not be an issue for me.

BTW I tried to find a new features list in Gotham vs Frodo, but could'nt find it. Any chance someone has a link?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - frarev - 2014-03-05

(2014-03-05, 15:11)focke_oeuf Wrote:
(2014-03-05, 12:03)Tiny Clanger Wrote: My understanding is that talking about CouchPotato/SickBeard is fine as they just download NZB files/torrent files. Talking about the software that processes those files is allowed as it could also download legit stuff. Talking about blatantly using any of those programs for downloading copyrighted stuff without authorisation is a no-no, though.

Ok that was my understanding too, but I wanted to be sure. I had a look a the wiki page and I'm still confused about the plugin. Can anyone who installed the SABnzb plugin confirm that everything is included?

As I'm completely newb in that stuff, does it allow to locally download the copyright free material coming from the official Xbmc video add-ons (like classic cinema)?

(2014-03-05, 14:51)frarev Wrote: I have a Yamaha A3020. I can use the AV remote to work with OE and my NUC i5. You have to program your remote as a microsoft vcr remote : see the code for your A830 receiver in its manual (for mine is 1016).

Brilliant!! As I only did find codes labelled as "Microsoft" in the receiver manual, I'll try these, but it gives me hope it'll work!!
BTW, do the number buttons act like a phone keyboard and convert to letters with the number of strokes in a row? Otherwise, I think I'll be able to use my android tablet to input some text.

(2014-03-05, 14:51)frarev Wrote: Till last week end, I used Openelec official stable version 3.2.4. I installed last week end a very last nightly build (just before the Beta1). Now, I can see in the system seetings few parameters more like 23.976 fps as a display set.

Ok then I'll stick to the OOTB/stable versions in the first place and think about upgrading only if something doesn't work. As I have very basic requirements for the moment (mainly photo display, music and 720p max videos), this should not be an issue for me.

BTW I tried to find a new features list in Gotham vs Frodo, but could'nt find it. Any chance someone has a link?

XBMC Gotham seems to be more appropriate for our recent NUC. Perhaps consider to install Beta Gotham first, and only if you have a problem, install the old official Frodo XBMC 12.

About Gotham vs Frodo, perharps this can help : Gotham and this Change Log

(2014-03-05, 15:32)frarev Wrote: XBMC Gotham seems to be more appropriate for our recent NUC. Perhaps consider to install Beta Gotham first, and only if you have a problem, install the old official Frodo XBMC 12.

Nice thanks.
Reading the change log makes me think there would not be much of "user" new features but mainly technical improvements (API, PVR, codecs, etc...).

Of course if there are some Haswell hardware compatibility fixes in Gotham Beta, I'll surely go down that road instead of Frodo, but I can't find the OpenElec build based on Gotham Beta. Maybe I'm not seraching correctly on OE website but I onlt see stable releases...

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - voip-ninja - 2014-03-05

(2014-03-05, 16:28)focke_oeuf Wrote:
(2014-03-05, 15:32)frarev Wrote: XBMC Gotham seems to be more appropriate for our recent NUC. Perhaps consider to install Beta Gotham first, and only if you have a problem, install the old official Frodo XBMC 12.

Nice thanks.
Reading the change log makes me think there would not be much of "user" new features but mainly technical improvements (API, PVR, codecs, etc...).

Of course if there are some Haswell hardware compatibility fixes in Gotham Beta, I'll surely go down that road instead of Frodo, but I can't find the OpenElec build based on Gotham Beta. Maybe I'm not seraching correctly on OE website but I onlt see stable releases...

They have been building on Gotham builds for a while now. A google search yields this thread as a result and it looks like it was built against the beta build (before it was labeled beta) a week or two ago.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176606

Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - frarev - 2014-03-05

(2014-03-05, 16:34)voip-ninja Wrote:
(2014-03-05, 16:28)focke_oeuf Wrote:

Nice thanks.

They have been building on Gotham builds for a while now. A google search yields this thread as a result and it looks like it was built against the beta build (before it was labeled beta) a week or two ago.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176606

That is effectively the last alpha Gotham openelec I used.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - ikecomp - 2014-03-05

(2014-03-05, 04:27)bogchop Wrote: Hi all,

I've recently purchased a Dn2820 and am not very happy with the unit. Xbmc menu navigation is quite sluggish, and not all 1080p files play without issue (jerking, tearing, slowdown, etc). I've unloaded it onto a family member that doesn't go past 720p, so that's ok.

I'm now considering an i3 D34010WYK with a 30gb msata drive + 2gb ram to run openelec, possibly i5.

1. Will this play all 1080p (12-15gb files) without issue?
2. What is menu navigation and general xbmc usage like? I'm currently running xbmc on a quad core i7 Mac mini, and it is smoother than butter - I love it.
3. Can the i3 handle heavy skins with ease, or is there noticeable slowness of any sort? I'm pretty picky about this stuff.

The other option is the i5 which i believe will be fine, and run xbmc interface with heavy skins (ala aeOn nox ). . I have no interest in 4k video at this time.

i3 or i5 ultimately. What do you guys think?

I currently have the i3 using windows 8.1 and an 80 GB mechanical drive (I have the i3 with the additional space for a 2.5" drive). I'm able to play the 120 megabit jellyfish bitrate test files without issue so you should be fine. There one issue that pretty much all nucs share is hardware decoding of VC-1 based files. However, I have a rule setup play files of this type in Media Player Classic and they play fine their.

Cheers,
bc.

I currently have the i3 using windows 8.1 and an 80 GB mechanical drive (I have the i3 with the additional space for a 2.5" drive). I'm able to play the 120 megabit jellyfish bitrate test files without issue so you should be fine. There is one issue that pretty much all nucs share which is hardware decoding of VC-1 based files. These will have to be played using software decoding. Menu navigation should also be fine on i3 especially using openelec since it's not a resource intensive OS.

Hmmm seems the guys using the latest nightly build have video playback issues...

And to be honest I'm confused here.
OE 4 alpha is using xbmc 13 beta?

And looking at the first post of the OE nightly builds, I see that:
"will be updated with new gotham builds for the brave testers out there."

As I don't feel like being a brave tester yet, I'll play safe and stick to stable OE for the moment...
So last (but not least) question: must I update the NUC BIOS to make it work with OE 3.2.4 (Frodo) or may I skip this part and save this step for OE 4.0 release?
Differently said, which BIOS version should be ok for OE 3.2.4?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - dr.sah - 2014-03-05

hi,
I have NUC with i5- haswell. Works OK for now. Have just short question: if I enable hardware acceleration, than i have slow motion movies, like 0,8x time speed. If I disable it, than movies plays normal.

Is that hardware problem? I have xbmc 12.3 on win 7

(i have now mac mini i7, and this NUC. Im thinking to sell mini and keep NUC, but it must works normal.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - yuyak - 2014-03-05

(2014-03-05, 04:27)bogchop Wrote: Hi all,

I've recently purchased a Dn2820 and am not very happy with the unit. Xbmc menu navigation is quite sluggish, and not all 1080p files play without issue (jerking, tearing, slowdown, etc). I've unloaded it onto a family member that doesn't go past 720p, so that's ok.

I'm now considering an i3 D34010WYK with a 30gb msata drive + 2gb ram to run openelec, possibly i5.

1. Will this play all 1080p (12-15gb files) without issue?
2. What is menu navigation and general xbmc usage like? I'm currently running xbmc on a quad core i7 Mac mini, and it is smoother than butter - I love it.
3. Can the i3 handle heavy skins with ease, or is there noticeable slowness of any sort? I'm pretty picky about this stuff.

The other option is the i5 which i believe will be fine, and run xbmc interface with heavy skins (ala aeOn nox ). . I have no interest in 4k video at this time.

i3 or i5 ultimately. What do you guys think?

Cheers,
bc.
I was debating between the D34010WYK and the DN2820FYK but ultimately went with the i3. After reading your post, I'm really glad I did. I'm running XBMC w/ aeon nox skin (win8.1 w/ 2x2gb RAM) and the menu navigation is fine. This is the first time I'm using this skin, so I don't know how it compares to other systems, but seems very smooth to me. I'm running 1080p bluray rip mkvs off a NAS (Synology 214SE) through a gigabit router and the movies play perfectly.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - dr.sah - 2014-03-05

Did you enable DXVA2 hardware accerelation or not?
Have i5 nuc, and works better with OFF, that is strange.

Help with IRC on Haswell - Pandysan - 2014-03-05

Hi guys!

Very sorry in advance for my completely N00bishness.

So I have been reading through more or less the entire thread.

I want to ask you guys, how can I connect my apple remote (newest ed.) with the Intel NUC i3 Haswell (running Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon)?
What is the name of the device/driver when i am connecting the apple remote in Lirc?

Am I on to something thinking that nuvoton-cir is the driver? and NTN0530 is the IRC device in the NUC?

How do I go from there to installing the remote. Lirc needs the device (apple remote) and the IR-driver/connector on the NUC.

When I learned that lmyllari had found a temporary solution, and also saw the commands for a solution in here: https://communities.intel.com/message/225366

I thought YES! However! I am still in need of help. And maybe also a step-by-step explanation/installation guide...

Thank you in advance! Smile