Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=176718)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - marcus2704 - 2014-04-03

Thanks for your reply.

Im buying this memory - http://www.ebuyer.com/509126-4gb-1600mhz-ddr3l-non-ecc-cl11-sodimm-1-35v-kvr16ls11-4 - should be ok?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - FishOil - 2014-04-03

(2014-04-03, 01:39)herbieUK Wrote: My autostart.sh file reads
Start
Code:
# RGB fix
DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"

# IR fix
modprobe -r nuvoton-cir
echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources
modprobe nuvoton-cir

ir-keytable -p NEC,rc-6 -w/storage/.config/apple
End

Any help please or pretty please?

Isn't the autostart.sh supposed to be executable?
Is that the complete content of your file?
Where is the shebang?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - bogchop - 2014-04-03

Tonight I fixed my last issue with my i3 NUC. My xbox 360 MCE remote was NOT booting the unit, but it is now, and with the world's most STUPID fix.

Got the remote running in OpenELEC using the autostart script as seen in the first post, no issue. But it would not BOOT the unit. Shutdown, yes. For the DN2820 however, the remote worked at all times. Strange...

Anyway, the simple remedy is to simply install Windows 7 or 8, install the necessary chipset/usb/lan/mgmt drivers and lastly the Nuvoton IR package. Reboot as needed, and then there's one more step: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=85839

Perform that tweak, reboot, and then play with the remote. I opened the media centre app by pressing the 'X' button in the middle, then immediately sent the unit into hibernation using the POWER XBOX button. I then woke it up using the same button... I could smell success. Lastly, I turned off the NUC, then waited a few seconds before trying a 'test' power-on.

It finally works, what a stupid lot of bullshit to get the NUC to power on. It seems installing the IR software in windows 'initialises' the CIR for good. Reinstalling OE as we speak, hopefully this holds. Other people on the Intel NUC boards have reported similar success just recently.

Thought I'd share that bit of info - it's a "simple" solution to a frustrating problem.

Cheers,
bc.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - bogchop - 2014-04-03

Well I spoke too soon. It definitely booted up OpenELEC, but when I went into the BIOS to turn off the S4/S5 WOL rubbish, now neither my XBOX360 MCE remote nor my generic MCE remote power the unit on.

This is ridiculous. What do I do next? *sigh*

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - herbieUK - 2014-04-03

(2014-04-03, 13:08)FishOil Wrote:
(2014-04-03, 01:39)herbieUK Wrote: My autostart.sh file reads
Start
Code:
# RGB fix
DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"

# IR fix
modprobe -r nuvoton-cir
echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources
modprobe nuvoton-cir

ir-keytable -p NEC,rc-6 -w/storage/.config/apple
End

Any help please or pretty please?

Isn't the autostart.sh supposed to be executable?
Is that the complete content of your file?
Where is the shebang?

Hi
That is the complete content of my file
I copied/pasted if from posts in this thread.
Novice that I am, I don't know what else I'd need to add to make it executable.

Tough I just read up on the OE wiki, do I need to add in :
Start
Code:
echo "#!/bin/sh" > /storage/.config/autostart.sh && chmod +x /storage/.config/autostart.sh
End
to make it executable?

On another note, re my earlier posts about the strange horizontal pixel misalignment, I decided to do a fresh install and used a nightly from a few days earlier and my picture seems to be perfect!

I really thought that after studying this entire thread a few times and taking a whole lot of notes/pastes, that I had a fairly good idea of what to do and what problems I might encounter!!

For now I'll just go making sure my picture is perfect, then I'll try the autostart.sh thing to see if I can get my Apple Remote working..

Could anyone clarify if it's still necessary to add both of these to autostart.sh ?
I have BIOS 25 installed on my i5

Start
Code:
cd /storage/.config
touch autostart.sh
chmod 0777 autostart.sh
nano autostart.sh

# RGB fix
xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"
End

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - vivithemage - 2014-04-03

I was thinking of picking up BOXD34010WYKH1 and using windows + XBMC.

Are there any setup guides for it now? What BIOS is reqiured, what versionof XBMC, codecs, etc?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - pumkinut - 2014-04-03

I don't think any BIOS is actually required, rev 24 of the BIOS works well for me. Rev 25 of the BIOS has caused issues with the IR port, so you may not want to use that.

Start out using Frodo. It's the latest stable release. Gotham is in Beta 3.

XBMC does not use external codecs.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Peppin - 2014-04-03

(2014-04-03, 12:56)marcus2704 Wrote: Thanks for your reply.

Im buying this memory - http://www.ebuyer.com/509126-4gb-1600mhz-ddr3l-non-ecc-cl11-sodimm-1-35v-kvr16ls11-4 - should be ok?
There is no EAN number given so I can't check. Usually compatibly of Kingston memory is quite good. The specifications are as required so I think you're good.
To be 100% safe you could buy memory of this list: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-034475.htm

Cheers.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - herbieUK - 2014-04-03

Apple Remote is working- the instructions on the thread on the OE forum that I followed didn't make the autostart.sh executable..

Instead I entered :
echo "#!/bin/sh" > /storage/.config/autostart.sh && chmod +x /storage/.config/autostart.sh
nano /storage/.config/autostart.sh
via SSH in my terminal and now when I enter
ir-keytable

I get
Start
Code:
Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event8) with:
    Driver nuvoton-cir, table rc-rc6-mce
    Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO LIRC other
    Enabled protocols: NEC
    Repeat delay = 1000 ms, repeat period = 1 ms
End
My only problem now is an issue of the video calibration / overscan changing during playback of 1080p movies..

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - nickr - 2014-04-04

Do NOT use XBMC's video calibration unless you really really need to. Better to turn off overscan at your TV.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - gamble - 2014-04-04

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - herbieUK - 2014-04-04

(2014-04-04, 05:42)nickr Wrote: Do NOT use XBMC's video calibration unless you really really need to. Better to turn off overscan at your TV.

Anyway to reset or clear XBMC video calibration?

I am not sure how you do that. I am guessing that the settings are probably in userdata/guisettings.xml.

I'm always to scared to touch it, but I have a spare box thats not in use so I will play and see what happens.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - herbieUK - 2014-04-04

(2014-04-04, 08:10)nickr Wrote: I am not sure how you do that. I am guessing that the settings are probably in userdata/guisettings.xml.

I'm always to scared to touch it, but I have a spare box thats not in use so I will play and see what happens.

Thanks Nickr

OK, further to that, it would appear that you need to delete the entire section in guisettlings.xml from <resolutions> to </resolutions> (including those tags). You'll need to do that while xbmc is not running.

Of course back up your current guisettings.xml before doing that.