Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU) (/showthread.php?tid=176718)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - gamble - 2013-11-15

Only "work around" for me is now to take a Custom Setting on TV/Beamer and tune it for the NUC with my Calibration Pictures, not 100% Spot on but probably enough for me till there is a better Solution...will try that tomorrow..

Anyway its frustrating even if i just have to change between Picture Modes if i want to use the Nuc..

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Selene - 2013-11-15

I tried it with the latest nightlies from Gotham and it's not working there either.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - adrian ballard - 2013-11-15

(2013-11-15, 21:08)Selene Wrote: I tried it with the latest nightlies from Gotham and it's not working there either.

So, on Windows XBMC, there is no issue with the NUC?
I'm getting confused now.

Also, what version of Win are you running?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Selene - 2013-11-15

(2013-11-15, 22:52)adrian ballard Wrote:
(2013-11-15, 21:08)Selene Wrote: I tried it with the latest nightlies from Gotham and it's not working there either.

I installed 7 and have no issues. It even boots quicker than OE. /shrug

I do have my OE set up backed up in case intel ever decides to fix it, but I guess it's a blessing for me, since now I can run emulators too and have them actually work.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - JasonQsine - 2013-11-15

Qsine has built solid enclosure for the raspberry pi. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1915073259/a-la-mode-a-cool-sweet-topping-for-the-raspberry-p?ref=live Big Grin
We are currently looking at the options to build something similar for the Nuc. It is still in the AutoCad phase, but once we have the design we will post it see if anybody can help us improve it

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - lmyllari - 2013-11-15

Looking at xbmc code, CalculateYUVMatrix() in xbmc/cores/VideoRenderers/VideoShaders/YUV2RGBShader.cpp makes me very suspicious. I think the translation by -16/255 should not be done and the order of scaling to full range and translating Cb and Cr should be reversed.

Overall, I don't like the way it's structured. Clearly the devs prefer full range output, but I think limited range is better quality. Full range with dithering or higher bpp may provide some benefit when processing is applied, but neither is currently supported.

With the limited range output messed up, it is difficult to demonstrate why it is better than full range. Good news is that if this is the problem, it should be easy to fix.

Re: RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - nickr - 2013-11-15

(2013-11-15, 23:23)lmyllari Wrote: Looking at xbmc code, CalculateYUVMatrix() in xbmc/cores/VideoRenderers/VideoShaders/YUV2RGBShader.cpp makes me very suspicious. I think the translation by -16/255 should not be done and the order of scaling to full range and translating Cb and Cr should be reversed.

Overall, I don't like the way it's structured. Clearly the devs prefer full range output, but I think limited range is better quality. Full range with dithering or higher bpp may provide some benefit when processing is applied, but neither is currently supported.

With the limited range output messed up, it is difficult to demonstrate why it is better than full range. Good news is that if this is the problem, it should be easy to fix.

Perhaps one of the developer threads, or a bug tracker post would get some dev attention.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - JasonQsine - 2013-11-15

Does any1 know about how hot the Haswell Nuc can get? We don't have Nuc unit to test yet. If the units gets really hot we will have to put that into consideration . We are trying to build a case that also act as heat sink.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - lmyllari - 2013-11-16

(2013-11-15, 23:43)nickr Wrote: Perhaps one of the developer threads, or a bug tracker post would get some dev attention.
I'll look into it a little more and calculate the numbers. I'll file a bug/patch when I know what I'm talking about. Smile

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - gamble - 2013-11-16

Sounds great Big Grin

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - BuTbKa - 2013-11-16

How is your picture quality? I have XBMC installed on i5 with Win 7 Home Premium ...it boots fine, Harmony remote works acceptable, but picture quality noticeable lower then my 4 year old Boxee box.
I didn't play with settings at all though, I'm new to XBMC/HTPC

(2013-11-15, 22:54)Selene Wrote:
(2013-11-15, 22:52)adrian ballard Wrote:

I do have my OE set up backed up in case intel ever decides to fix it, but I guess it's a blessing for me, since now I can run emulators too and have them actually work.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Selene - 2013-11-16

(2013-11-16, 00:37)BuTbKa Wrote: How is your picture quality? I have XBMC installed on i5 with Win 7 Home Premium ...it boots fine, Harmony remote works acceptable, but picture quality noticeable lower then my 4 year old Boxee box.
I didn't play with settings at all though, I'm new to XBMC/HTPC

(2013-11-15, 22:54)Selene Wrote:
(2013-11-15, 22:52)adrian ballard Wrote: So, on Windows XBMC, there is no issue with the NUC?

My picture quality is great. I'm running windows 7 ultimate. Keep in mind that you should probably download the drivers from the intel website.

I did downloaded and installed all the drivers, and updated BIOS as well.
When browsing web, looking trough Windows or XBMC menus quality is fine, but when playing HD movies from my NAS,,,,can see the difference between NUC and Boxee.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Haswell Late 2013 edition) - Selene - 2013-11-16

(2013-11-16, 01:06)BuTbKa Wrote: I did downloaded and installed all the drivers, and updated BIOS as well.
When browsing web, looking trough Windows or XBMC menus quality is fine, but when playing HD movies from my NAS,,,,can see the difference between NUC and Boxee.

I'll check and report back but I'm 90% sure i dont have that issue.

Edit: I also have a 4 year old boxee Wink let you know how it works out.

Thanks Smile